Thought's anyone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rdrrepair, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router with 4 port switch WRT54G hooked to my cable modem. I downloaded "The Illusionist" Monday night and it took over 8 hours to complete with the TiVo wireless adapter hooked up and showing 85% signal.

Figuring that others have reported much faster transfer speeds I decided to install an "Ethernet cable" to the router and to the S3. Sadly, this did not speed up my downloads. :(

I have unplugged and then reconnected the power to my RCA Digital Cable Modem and reset it - I have had time warner "Hit" the box - I have unplugged and then reconnected the power to the "Linksys Wireless Router" with and without the "Ethernet cable" hooked up.

Does anyone have some real good tips to improve download speed? When I say "Good Tips" I mean to say... tips that someone could actually follow that doesn't speak GEEK! I say that with great, and humble, admiration so don't take it the wrong way. :D

Any and all recommendations will be tried - thank you in advance...

Ps. I asked a question like this at the S3 forum but it was in someone elses original post - I was responding to a question about the "Unbox Service" and commented about how slow it was for me - I didn't want to step on his thread so I am asking over here.

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I assume you downloaded a movie from Amazon to your TiVo?

There are many factors that can affect download speed; signal strength, your neighborhood load, your modem, your router etc.

So first I would test the download speed of your broadband connection. Run this speed test . Your download speed should be close to the maximum speed for what you are paying for (4Mb, 6Mb, or 8 Mb).

If your speed is below what you expect, then check the signal strength to your modem. You may need to call your cable provider for this. A week signal can cause data errors requiring your modem to make multiple attempts to require data packets. Make sure to connect your modem before any signal splitters, or buy a signal booster to help the signal. Check all wiring and connections. I had a bad signal due to a squirrel crewing on the cable that ran from the pole to my house.

What is the maximum speed for your modem? You may need to replace your modem if it’s old.

Update the firmware on your router, Linksys constantly makes updates to the firmware. Try setting the Maximum transfer unit (MTU) on your router to 1500 for broadband connections only. It’s on the “base setup” page on your routers configuration page.

Call your cable provider and ask them to check your speed and signal, it could just be a load problem in your neighborhood.

3. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I downloaded a movie - All went well - Just turtle slow.
    Thank you for your response. I ran the test @ 8 am and report the following.
    Download @ 741kbps -- Upload @ 113kbps with router
    Download @ 741kbps -- Upload @ 89 kbps without router

Problem does not appear to be the Linksys Router.
    I have called my cable company - they are sending out a tech on Tuesday - I would like to check all of my settings -- I would rather learn something then be a slave to a Cable Company truck roll. :eek:
    Are you talking about the cable modem or the interface on the backside of the computer? How do I check?
    Was done before first posting here.
    Is there anything I can do to make sure it is not a computer problem - maybe my settings are wrong?

Again -- Thanks for responding -- :up: :up: :up:

4. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    It sounds like you got a good handle on your problem. Your download speeds are very, very slow, less than a 1Mb. If you’re paying for broadband internet, then I would expect downloads speeds of over 4000Kbps or 4Mb. I don’t think it’s a computer problem, but a signal, line, or connection problem. Any signal splitter used before your modem must be rated for at least 1GHz.

You didn’t specify the model number for your modem just a brand name. If you just recently bought a broadband modem then it’s probably alright. You’ll need to check the model numbers spec’s to determine the download speed. I was thinking it may not be compatible with your cable company, or a model that didn’t handle the higher download speeds.

If you’re running a Ethernet cable from your router to your computer then it’s probably OK. For some reason you’re just getting slow downloads times from the outside to your modem to your computer/TiVo.

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York

Advertisements

The saga continues... I got a call today from TW and they asked me to perform the following.

Defrag the system - compact the registry - disconnect my router - they then ran a scan from their end and reported that they found nothing wrong.

They told me they would send a truck out and based on what they see it would cost me $100.00 to look at it. They stated repeatedly that this was a wasted trip for them and then they cancelled???

WTF? Anyway, could they be right? I am no expert so I have to defer to someone who "sounds more" knowledgeable.

If I understand the UnBox download, it goes from the router to my TiVo even if I have the computer turned off. Yes, no???

I run System Mechanic 6 about once a week and my PC speed increases a little bit.

Can anyone give me a better description of what I should be looking at on my end. Do I need another modem for my PC to get UnBox to download quicker? Is there something more I can try or do?

6. jjmg

jjmg New Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Nothing wrong? Do they really consider 741kbps normal download speeds for cable modem? That's more like DSL speed than cable modem speed.

7. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You’re right; your computer doesn’t have to be on to receive downloads from UnBox.

Which RCA digital cable modem do you have, and who is your cable company? Is your modem on the list of compatible modems for your cable company? The DCM305R is only DOCSIS 1.0 Compliant, your cable company may require DOCSIS 2.0 compliant.

8. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    The DCM305R -- RCA Cable Modem - this was supplied by the cable company.

My cable company is Time Warner of Newburgh, New York.

So then -- seeing that my cable modem is going to the router and the computer could be turned off then the UnBox download is independent of anything on my computer -- everything now boils back down to the cable modem. Correct? Am I missing something?

I tried to explain to the TW person that my TiVo was too slow during a download and that I believed the download was independent of the computer -- he stated that TW doesn't support routers -- ok, fair enough I said -- when the computer is hooked up directly to the cable modem and I take the router out of the loop what do you see? He said everything looks good.

Then he said TW doesn't support TiVo -- sounds like what he really said was... TW doesn't support customers.

Looks like I need to have a load test or something like that done at my house and at their cable modem.

Again, any and all tips will be tried -- I would rather not call TW back again until I can tell him with 99% certainty that it is a TW problem.

9. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I feel for ya. You have done all the things you can do at your end. It seems like your cable company is giving you a little bit of a run around. The brick wall went up when you mentioned TiVo. Just complain about slow download speeds. You may be in a high density area like an apartment complex etc., where they can’t give you any higher download speed unless they update their equipment. Your download speed may be the max for your area. They probably tested your line to see if there were any data errors but that doesn’t test download speed.

The only way I can see for you to test your download speed is to connect your modem to your PC via an Ethernet cable and run the speed test, and you’ve already done that. The only problem would be if you have an old/slow computer (500 MHz or less). There’s really not that much tweaking you can do on your computer, it’s the download speed you’re getting from the modem that counts.

I’m out of suggestions; hope someone else has some ideas. Best of luck.

10. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Will they let you swap the modem yourself - for free? I was having the same exact problem with slow download speeds after years of high speeds. The Customer Support person set-up a free service call but also mentioned that it's almost always the modem and asked if I were willing to swap it out myself. I jumped at the opportunity and after a quick visit to their office was back with high speeds. (I'm still puzzled why the old modem only slowed down instead of completely dying, but it did.) Have you had this modem for a long time?

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I appreciate your help -- by using the speed test and trying other things this allowed me to call back my cable company with more ammo.

I am now reporting...
    download speeds of 6884 kbps :)

I'll explain to all so others can have this info.

When you first sign up for Road Runner they sign you up for a plan called "RoadRunner lite" This plan tops your speeds to 768 kbps.

The RoadRunner National Help Desk told me I was on an entry level plan. They then connected me to my local TW office and I spoke to them about plans and prices - They explained that the RR Lite program was $5 more per month then their current price plan for 7 MBPS. :confused:

I have since upgrade to the "All In One DTV Value & HS Plan" and am saving an additional $5 per month. :D

I hope this helps someone else diagnose their connection and download speeds for the UnBox Service. At the very least I have learned something and I hope others have as well. :up:

Thanks again worachj for all of your help -- without your help, I would still be at 741 kbps :up: You armed me with enough info to get this figured out.