This is what happens to S2 that hasn't connected in over 1 month

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sfhub, Jul 10, 2017.

1. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

For folks who feel leaving their TiVo's disconnected (prior to deactivation) would preserve their lifetime features after deactivation. This is on S2 after around 45 days, but I remember the same happening to S3. There was an assertion that latest TiVo software has a bug where the 30 day connect enforcement was broken. I can confirm on S2 that is not the case as this is latest S2 software. On S3, I was using very old software so I can't confirm if the latest software would behave the same way (ie it is possible that bug exists and it is possible it doesn't, I can't say either way).

TiVo1.jpg TiVo2.jpg TiVo3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    @sfhub,
    • How did you create those 'perfect' (TV) screen shots? :thumbsup:
    • How did you add those 'blue boxes'?
    Thanks! :)

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    1) I used Slingbox and did screen captures.
    2) I used TiVo Privacy mode, Select-Play-Select Clear Select (just kidding, I used paint program)

4. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Your screen shots were so 'perfectly' square the only idea I came up with was capturing it via short recordings to a PC through something like a Hauppauge PVR-1212 / 1512, hit PAUSE, print screen. RE: MSPaint - I have to GOOGLE the correct sequence of what to click on each time I want to 'block out' some personal data; it just doesn't seem intuitive to me. o_O

This S2 that you're documenting - you traded it in for a newer TiVo (Bolt?) and that's why it was deactivated, right? I have a S1 w/ Lifetime that I disconnected shortly after switching to ReplayTV 5XXXs back ~2005 (RadioShack $150 5040 w/ Lifetime *SALE*). I was going to connect it 'now-and-then' (before the Guide Data for it was discontinued in 2016) but I thought that I had read here on TCF (sometime in 2015, just before I caught the Refurb Roamio Basic w/ Lifetime @ $299 *SALE*) that once it connected, it would update an 'internal counter' and then, if I didn't remember to re-connect again 'within a certain number of days', I would permanently lose my Lifetime. Wikipedia says:
    Well, I never connected it, the "S1 Trade-In Offer" came-and-went since I didn't meet the criteria and now I'm just curious as to what would happen *IF* I let it connect? If I just power it up to view some of the old recordings, will it be 'locked' since it hasn't communicated with the MotherShip for so long?

P.S. I always associate your UserID with the ReplayTV "DHCP Bug". Since the S2 was manufactured from 2002 - 2008, and the S3 from 2006 - 2008 (according to TiVoPedia), did you ever have both ReplayTVs and TiVos operating at the same time?

P.P.S. Too bad the Poopli Forum wasn't turned over to @Reden (Schedules Direct) even as Read-Only (before it was 'vaporized'), to be preserved like he graciously has been preserving much of the other 'ReplayTV-related' stuff. :(

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

I don't know about previous versions of mspaint. On Win10 mspaint, this is what I do
    1) Select the "Shapes" you want
    2) Select "Color 2" item (background color)
    3) Select the actual color you want for the background color from the palette
    4) Select the "Fill" drop down and select "Solid Color"
    5) Use the mouse/touchpad to click at the top left of the shape and drag to the bottom right

I think the hardest part is remembering you need to set the background rather than foreground color.

Actually it hasn't been traded in so it hasn't been deactivated. I just kept it off the network past the "pseudo-30-day" date listed in System Information to confirm that the unit would basically go into Inactive mode if you left it disconnected. This would be the same "as if" I had traded it in and disconnected from the net while it was still active (one might be thinking they could preserve their lifetime if they never connected to the net again). Either way, the unit has no idea the actual activation status because it hasn't been connected to the net in over a month. In my case, I subsequently connected the network after taking the screenshots and let it connect and become "active" again.

There was an assertion by someone that a bug was introduced and enforcement of the 30-day connect was broken and if you left it disconnected after tradein, it would keep TiVo features like 30-second skip, pause, etc. (but obviously no guide data) I wanted to test that theory out.

I don't know about S1, but on the S2/S3 there is a date on the System Information screen. I believe if your unit doesn't connect before that date, it becomes Inactive solely through internal software checks comparing against the date in the clock. I say "I beleive" because I've never turned on a unit exactly the day after that date. It has always been a few weeks, to a month, to several years after that date and the units have been in Inactive state (as denoted by the "I" in the system information, and loss of features)

On my unit that is Inactive, I can basically playback previously recorded shows and that is it.

Yes, that is me, same person. After ReplayTV started getting shifted around, I saw the writing on the wall, and took advantage of a couple for S3 OLED lifetime "transfer" deals over 10 years ago. I got the S2 when someone didn't want it anymore, so even though it is oldest of my units, I received it after my S3 OLEDs. I did have TiVo's and ReplayTVs operating at the same time. Mainly recording on TiVos, but went back to ReplayTV for old shows I had recorded and also to use Poopli to get shows I missed.

I miss Poopli a lot, it was really good for getting shows you missed. Was replaced for a while by streaming off the websites, but now they only keep the last few episodes and ask you to pay more to get the older episodes. I sometimes record stuff and don't get to watch it until a year or two later, at which point I find presidential debate interruptions, world series extra innings, etc. etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where it says

TiVo Service Level:

you should have something like (but not necessarily the same date) as on a lifetimed S2 I've got in front of me--

TiVo Service Level: C: 071717

meaning it's authorized to fully function up 'til the 17th of this month.

(this one has had the network connection disconnected for a while, or that date would be further in the future)

Even though it has lifetime, it still has to "phone home" at least once a month to be "re-authorized" for a period of about a month and change.

Once that service level date passes by, it assumes the account status has changed and it's no longer authorized to be a fully functional TiVo.

I've got it re-networked and downloading right now, so later today that date will be changed to somewhere in mid to late August.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes, that is my understanding also, but on another thread someone made the assertion the 30-day check "feature" was broken sometime in the past and it was never fixed, so if you left it disconnected, it would still think it was lifetime (or at least have some active features like recording). Obviously no guide data if you didn't connect. This was contrary to my experience so I wanted to specifically test that theory out.

Here, found the post:
    deactivated Tivo's playback abilities?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Nothing in your screen shots shows anything that matters

9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You've provided no proof of your assertion using current software.

TiVo Central->Find Programs->Record by Time or Channel->Set Up Manual Recording

does nothing and loops back to

TiVo Central->Find Programs

10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ok, I have now verified S3 OLED on current software (11.0n.H1-01-2-648) behaves the same way as S2.

It goes inactive and anything related to guide or recording either loops back or says TiVo service interrupted. This is on lifetime S3 that hasn't connected in 50 days.

I can playback previously recorded shows.

11. Chico

Chico New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    So my S3 OLED lifetime has been sitting for some time after I was forced into a Romio by Comcast. I can't reactivate it? I'm getting a new 4K TV in a couple of weeks, should have got a bolt I guess, but was out of a job during the transition...

12. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    As long as you didn't transfer lifetime, after you connect, it should go from Inactive back to Active. Some rare cases it doesn't but you can call in and escalate and eventually get it activated again. If you transferred lifetime, then it can't be reactivated anymore as they don't activate the old units.

13. Chico

Chico New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    Thank you @sfhub. Good to know. Maybe I can use it to get myself to a bolt if a deal comes around.

14. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
  15. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Traded in the Lifetime on a Series 2 for a Bolt+ but it's new to me, the video pixelates and Bolt+ hangs / slows on channel changes. I like my Roamio Pro better so far... Worth the upgrade for the Skip feature.