This Is Us Season 5 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Advertisements

I multitasked through much of the first 2 episodes thinking,

“There is enough sadness in the world and I’m not feeling revisiting COVID-19 and George Floyd in an already sad series.”

They handled both issues well though. I’m happy to see new life coming for Kevin and I always love Beth and Toby scenes. Déjà and the other girls are also delightful so I hung in there for the big reveal which will keep me watching....

Randall’s birth mom lived?!!!!! OMG. I’d like to see her story from the time she almost died.

2. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Thanks for starting the season thread.

I agree about the inclusion of Covid-19 and George Floyd. I watch scripted TV shows to escape.

I do think they did a good job with including the racial issues especially since Randall was already struggling with growing up in a white household.

The virus stuff just seemed gratuitous.

I wonder if the new therapist that Randall finds will be linked to his birth mother?

3. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That would be amazing and you will have called it.

Regina likes this.
  4. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I never get these things right, so I'm sure it won't happen. But I think it would be interesting.

5. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I shouldn't have read this. I haven't watched the whole thing yet. But I like the news about the birth mother.

I agree about COVID-19 but this show just has to add every possible opportunity to make it as sad as possible. I guess George Floyd was necessary because it gave us a great Randall moment. The first few minutes of the episode made it appear I was in for a difficult night. I was relieved when the flashbacks told us more of William's story and that didn't bother me because I knew how it ended. Or thought I did. I was actually hoping to see more of William's earlier story but seems like we get that in Seasons 1 and 2.

I'm also nearly halfway through Season 1 on my desktop and enjoying William in the present day more than anything, and Kevin is a close second.

6. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I'm wary of the "mom lives" storyline. We've already had Randall discover a long-lost parent. I guess I should trust the writers to make this different.

I like the inclusion of Covid. This show has always stayed true to its time period and this is no exception.

I'm not sure I buy Jack and Rebecca ignoring previous black deaths. Every white parent I know of black children is just as freaked out as the black parents. I can see them trying to shield the kids from it, though, so maybe Randall was unaware they were thinking about it?

I did not enjoy the Williams scenes. I just wasn't interested or invested.

It doesn't matter how many times we see Rebecca in the hospital post partum it makes me teary every time.

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I FF’d through half of the 2parter.
    I don’t think I missed anything.

8. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Have we seen how they actually end up with Randall? The statement was made that Toby and Kate are having to work hard to get their baby and what Jack and Rebecca did with Randall was kidnapping. I find it hard to believe that adoption is that much harder now than it was then. Maybe Randall was considered a foster child at first and then officially adopted, but I sure don't remember seeing the process. I seem to recall them making arrangements to take him home.

Amazing that Jack and William came that close to meeting.

I did like seeing both of them in the chapel and then Jack trying to make contact with his father.

Once again, I feel like we were cheated out of some important moments with William and his girlfriend.

While I normally avoid spoilers I was glad I knew to expect what happened at the end.

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    The interesting question is how the does the baby mama feel about waking and the baby is gone. Was she happy to be free or angry?

10. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    That's what I can't figure out.... Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that the same apartment that William is living in when Randall locates him? Sure there will be so much more to the story... but if she wakes up and can't remember - the medics/police would tell her where she lived/found. Why would she not go back and confront William?

I am probably wayyyyyyyyyy over-thinking this part of the storyline! ha!

11. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    It sounds like it will be interesting and I'm looking forward to more. I doubt William's girlfriend will be happy about the situation.

12. jami

jami Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Montgomery, IL
    I don't remember them calling out a foster situation explicitly, but I do remember the adoption process when he was a year or two old. A black judge didn't want to approve the adoption because they didn't feel he should be raised in a white family. So, it took a while to make it official.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  13. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Don't you mean "didn't feel he should be raised in a white family"? This must be something I have yet to see on the desktop.

Well, I did the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  14. jami

jami Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Montgomery, IL
    Typo - white family.

15. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I never watched the show seriously as my wife watched it when I was going to bed, but we binged 7 episodes of S04 to catch her up and finished the S05 opener together. The whole "mom that everyone thought was dead, but wasn't" storyline makes me wary as well; so William and their circle of friends never noticed his girlfriend wasn't dead and she never looked for Randall (or William apparently) over the past 30-40 years? Also, why do the scenes from *1980* look like the 60's-70s?

ETA: So far the Jack's brother and Randall's birth father have come back from either being dead or out of the picture, can we really do it a third time?

I also smell Kate and Toby adopting a BIPoC child and will lean on Randall and Beth (who I hate) for help. I understand, but also didn't appreciate, the way Randall lashed out at Kate. It shouldn't fall solely on Black people to educate white people of their privilege and it must be exhausting to have to do so, but kicking a family member and prospective ally in the balls when they try doesn't help. Kate isn't some stranger and while she couldn't ever really know Randall's experience she didn't deserve the whole "What specifically are you apologizing for" or "You've never asked me about this before". Randall doesn't get to play those cards AND the "I never talked about my experience with you so I wouldn't make you uncomfortable, because I am a thoughtful people pleaser".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    kettledrum likes this.
  16. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I think they're going way too far on Randall being a black person who was raised by white people and therefore hasn't really had the experiences he should have. And he's overdoing it criticizing the white people, especially in his own family, for not understanding this.

And I'm off to watch my next Season 1 episode on the desktop.

17. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    My memory isn't the best, but didn't we see Jack's sister in a Flashforward?

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  18. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Yes, Jack Damon’s twin was there after Hope was born.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  19. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I'm so glad someone else doesn't like Beth.

This show is way too challenging. A few feel good moments at the beginning and then way too much depressing stuff, and then back to feel good moments and then THIS happens. I'm so glad I already know Toby survived.

20. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Oh, THAT Jack. Should there be some change to make this sentence grammatically correct? Because I'm not understanding it.