This Is Us S1E2 "The Big Three" OAD 9/27/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

OK I literally jumped up and screamed out WHAT? at the end.

I did not see that coming and I don't think I liked it. LOL

Basically a good soap opera but are they going to keep these WHAT? twists at the end of every episode?

Also curious to see the ratings for this episode - apparently the premiere was the highest of all the new shows and NBC already gave it a full season pick up.

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That made you jump up?

It's not really a twist. It's been 36 years. And since she was still wearing the pendant it means Dad must've died. Not that soap opery in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I did like the twist.

I suspect I'll be paying more and more attention to the show and its details to see if I might be able to anticipate the twist. The twists on these first two eps made me want to go back and rewatch, just to make sure the director played fair with us.

I am already tired of how absolutely focused the large woman is on her weight. I get it. You are unhappy with your size; but does that necessarily mean everyone who looks in your direction is sneering with derision.

They are certainly making the woman very, very psychologically troubled. I hope something happens and she can begin to heal.

Oh, and I like how the producers whipsawed me regarding the bio-dad. I too felt like a bastard when we found out why he was disappearing for hours.

4. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I liked the ep and I'm definitely in for the show.

I thought the relationship between the brothers was the most interesting part this week. I like how they aren't shying away from the racial tension in the family. So does Randall live in the New York area? If Kevin moves there will be seeing more Kevin-Randall scenes instead of Kevin-Kate scenes? That seems like a net win -- the Kate/Kevin "we're the closest siblings ever" thing isn't very interesting to watch.

It's so sad they've decided that Kate can't be anything but a sad fat lady. Hopefully they will find a way to bring her out of it, but what a terrible shame to indulge in negative stereotyping like that and explicitly commit to having the character be defined by her weight.

It Toby the perfect guy, or what?

The twist was "meh" for me. The first week twist was so fantastic and unexpected, but they can't really expect to pull that off every week. I was surprised that they even seem to be trying. I saw it as a gimmick in the pilot to set up the premise. I don't really think of family dramas as lending themselves to the cliffhanger format.

From the preview:
    It seems like the past timeline is going to bounce around to different points in the triplets' childhood, while the present timeline moves forward normally. I hope that doesn't get confusing.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

Advertisements

I think the plus lady angst has a lot more to it than weight. Since the others are normal BMI I suspect there will be character developments to explain how she got to where she is!
    She was clearly starting down the overweight path in the early scenes so what ever did that might be related to Pop's drinking. Maybe another twist coming.

6. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don't think it is sad at all. It is realistic. I am a man of great girth and it never leaves your thoughts even when you are just trying to be normal. You can be happy but you still, as she put it, wonder if the chair is going to give out or the clothes you wore last week still fit.

It would be a disservice if every heavy character was ignored on their weight. It is how they treat it. We've seen her for less than 20 minutes on screen so far. She was happy for a large part of it when she let go and she has a boyfriend.

But I am truly sorry. For most morbidly obese people, it does define your day. It doesn't define "you" but it does define how you interact with the world. Or you don't.

She has a healthy relationship with her brothers (she is the one in contact with Randall) and is developing one with her boyfriend. That is good stuff.

7. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Good catch. I didn't realize she was wearing the necklace.

But hasn't it been 28 years? ;-)

As soon as he said he was going back home I knew it was a cat. I don't remember if we saw one in e01.

That's what I was thinking. I noted people bashing on it last week but I felt like at her size it would be ever present. That ignoring it would be unrealistic.

8. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    When I heard the knock on the door at the end I thought it was someone coming to deliver his cat.

9. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I did too!

10. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    They wouldn't have cast an actress of her size if her character's story wasn't going to be about her weight. Don't expect them to drop it.

11. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I'm assuming (maybe naively) that the actress herself has some input into how her character is portrayed and perhaps took the role so that she could portray it as such.

That's my thought on the matter as well.

12. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I didn't see the final scene as a twist. I just think they are going to be jumping back and forth quite a bit throughout the series between childhood and present day and that was just one example.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Agreed. And I really liked the way they did it in this episode. There are going to be reveals throughout. Some will come at the end of episodes but why wouldn't they pretty much always have either an "ending" or a reveal. That is just about how ever series or book (chapter) is written.

14. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    1. This is kind of everything that's wrong (not your fault, I'm not saying that, but it's so sad). Chrissy Metz is a talented and beautiful actress, but because she's fat, she can't expect to be cast in anything unless it's specifically about her being fat? :( I think we should be fighting against that kind of attitude, not embracing it.

2. I also don't think it's true. It certainly doesn't have to be true. I posted earlier how much I loved that Gilmore Girls did not do this AT ALL. Sookie's character had a job, a bubbly personality, friends, romance, husband, kids. She could have been played by an actress of any size. The fact that Melissa McCarthy was cast didn't mean that her character had to be rewritten so that she was a self-hating fat person.

2. I'm not saying they should drop any references to her being obese and wanting to lose weight. Certainly, lots of women struggle with this, it's a problem with many dimensions, and there is no reason it shouldn't be part of a TV drama arc. But what I do want is for the character to have some kind of dimension beyond her weight. Right now 100% of what we know about Kate is based on her being fat. Her current struggle is about being fat. Her childhood problems were about being fat. She met her boyfriend at a support group for the overweight. Pretty much all they seem to talk about is being heavy and losing weight. Indeed, a specific plot point of the last episode was that she couldn't even go to a party without having a breakdown about being fat.

Does she have a job? Does she have friends? What does she do all day long? What are her hobbies and interests? What is important to her? No clue. We literally know nothing about her other than how she feels about being fat. I'm not sure she's even had one line of dialogue about anything else. That's what I object to. No matter how fat she is, there is more to her as a person than her looks and her weight. I'm just saying I'd like to see her character be a little more balanced and multi-dimensional -- you know, like actual fat people are.

15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is NOT embracing it to portray it. Did Helter Skelter embrace Charles Manson? Does every movie about Hitler embrace the Nazi movement.

Let's be realistic. You want it all to be sweetness and light. That is a horrible way to look at it. Meanwhile, there are fat people who do hate their weight and are unhappy but they think it is just them because you want every portrayal to be happy.

You would be hurting people more than by doing something realistic. I don't see anyone hating her because of her weight. She is dealing with a personal issue. Let's explore it rather than pretend it doesn't exist.

As a fat person, I loved how they did it so far. She is a loving person who is sad about her weight. It resonates.

16. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    There has been only two episodes. I really think her weight is an important character development. They clearly showed it when she was young. We don't know yet why she is different from her biological brother. Maybe there was abuse. Why is/was the dad an alcoholic? Nobody is suggesting she should be treated with any less dignity.

17. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    All we know about the actor brother is that he's dumb and pretty. He hasn't talked about anything except his terrible sitcom. Webster was fleshed out a tiny bit because we know that he has daddy issues, but he's also an archetype. Give it time. We'll find out more about the characters. They're still setting the stage.

18. GDG76

GDG76 . TCF Club

Oct 2, 2000
    I turned to my wife and said she was either having an affair with his best friend or something was up. The voicemail he left seemed like it was foreshadowing it - seemed tacked on otherwise.

I really like this show so far. Though the guy that plays Toby should shave that weird isolated patch of hair off his head.

I do wish the main plot about the female character was about something other than weight. Only because it seems like Mike and Molly part 2.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If she was having an affair, why was she still wearing the pendant? That was very important.

As for it seeming like Mike and molly, they actually largely downplayed the weight except for character jokes. Weight hardly ever drove the plot.

20. GDG76

GDG76 . TCF Club

Oct 2, 2000
    That was my speculation before the last scene. Given what we know now, the phone call set up the fact that the friend clearly felt guilty about being too defensive/overly gushing about his wife because he is interested in her. No evidence now that there was any cheating and it will be interesting the see the fate of Ventimiglia's character evolve. Could be he doesn't give up the booze, he dies young, etc.

Re: Mike and Molly - I was only talking superficially about two people initially bonding at an overeaters group. It was the exact same start, down to making fun of other people at the group together. I just hope it moves away from that part soon.