This is Us S1E15 - "Jack Pearson's Son" - 2/16/2017

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Still enjoying this show. In some ways I like how Kevin went to his brother's help in the end when he's ignored him in the past and he wants to be better. But seriously on the first night of his big premiere without even telling anyone he was going?

The child acting in the past episodes I thought was fantastic in this one, actually for the whole series. I love how they really do feel like the same characters at different ages.

The one thing that really bothered me though was that the Hospice nurse wouldn't let William have a Coke. Seriously? Hospice nurses will do pretty much anything to help the patient be comfortable. Had it been a regular nurse then ok maybe, but a hospice nurse would definitely have let him have a soda if it would make him happy.

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Oops, I put today's date instead of yesterday's....

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, you're already dying and ya can't get a Coke? That was kinda weird. I guess they needed something unreasonable to use as a catalyst for him locking her out of the house.

I liked the Kevin going to Randall thing and it was certainly a tremendous gesture. Leaving just as he was supposed to go on stage could seem rather unrealistic, but it just seemed that he was so impacted by how he felt about what Randall was experiencing. I loved the way they put that all together so you not only 'got' what was going on for Randall (internally) but how Kevin didn't respond when they were kids and was rather perturbed that the attention went from him to his brother. Then he really seemed to take heart to Miguel's advice.

Also still loving this show. Toby character skeeves me out on every level. He just seems like a creepy man unless everything is going his way.

Next week should be interesting, although I am jonesing for some bigger meat, like maybe more about Jack's demise.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Still liking the show, but the last couple of episodes have dragged a bit.

I do wish that Kevin would have said something to someone before bolting from Opening night.

I'd also be fine if Toby and Kate's roles were limited (or gone altogether). We get it, they're fat.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I love the show and of course Kevin running to Randall at the end packed an emotional punch but they are very much playing it for the drama and not the reality.

You are right - been there done that - a hospice nurse would have let him have a Coke OR wouldn't have stopped him from taking one - I also found it unrealistic that he would kick the nurse out knowing Randall is going through a lot of pressure at work.

I was expecting Kevin to delay the start and get his Mom or sister to go to Randall. He knows both of them are sitting 25 feet away from him. The idea that he would let his co-star make her entrance and then bolt out the door?
    Never would have happened.

6. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    I agree about the "playing it for drama and not reality". We still like the show and will continue watching, but I think the quality has taken a dip the past couple of episodes for this reason.

Right or wrong, I have a bias against network shows- they almost never have the same quality of writing as you see on cable/pay channels. And for the first time I think This is Us is starting to show its "network" status.

I just rolled my eyes at the Kevin leaving the play scene. I guess it is supposed to tug at the heart strings, but as you said, that would have never happened in real life and I just thought it was a stupid scene. Especially when you consider that he left the biggest moment of his acting life without even knowing for sure if Randall was still at work or really was having a meltdown and needed help. For all he knew Randall had already left the office and was home having dinner. Just not a good scene.

I also hated the scene at the club where the old boyfriend just blurts out to Jack "when Rebecca and I were together". I may be wrong but that is another conversation that would never happen in real life.

Still love the show though......

7. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I think what you mean to say is, "Man, I wish they would stop under-writing Kate and Toby's roles. I am glad they are actually starting this "get to know you" phase so we can get to know a few things about them!"
    I actually don't care for Toby that much-they make him out to be this super-cool dude and I don't get it. Kate-I find a kindred soul in her. I have struggled with my weight all my life and my father was pretty cruel about it at times.
    My mother was the one who always supported and continues to support me.
    Of course, with Kate, it's a bit of the opposite. So if they could just write a little more in-depth for her, we could really have something.
    Toby-meh-we'll see.

8. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    They haven't said anything (that I remember) but I find it hard to believe that Kate does not have any medical issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, ...

They seem to be leading up to the explanation of Jacks death and I have to think it's one the reasons Kate moved to LA.

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    My guess all along has been that Season 1 is going to end with Jack's death story being revealed.

and something has been telling me that Kate was involved - I dunno what or how but they seem to be implying she's got some kind of guilt over it beyond normal grief

10. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Maybe she ate him. Too soon?

11. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Just not funny.
    I have come to adore Chrissy Metz - she was on Watch What Happens Live the other night - with of all people Adam Lambert - and they had a brief discussion about internet comments and how often it reflects more on the person who wrote it than the person they are talking about.
    Cut to the next day and I read all these fat joke comments about her on imdb.
    Still not funny.

12. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Lighten up Francis

13. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I love the show but I spent the whole episode seething at Randall. LET PEOPLE HELP. Take a leave of absence from work. This is what FMLA is for. You can't do it all. You're going to get yourself fired by trying.

And then Kevin. WTF? His whole family is out there! Send any one of them to handle Randall. That was ridiculous and cruel to his costar.

14. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    They have shown Randall as being dads favorite all season. I get the feeling the finale will show Randall losing his past and current fathers somewhat simultaneously with some mysterious blame to be had.

15. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I agree the show has taken a pretty big dip in quality since the first few. One of the single most annoying things to me is the #sharethismoment hashtag, like they have to tell us which scenes are supposed to be the emotional ones.

16. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

I wonder if that's the network vs the creator. Everybody is trying to get those kids that do social media these days. I am waiting for the two screen experience to show up.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Okay. Lots to react to in this thread.

First, the problem with shows that have full seasons (unlike 10 episode runs in hbo) is that they tend to drag at times. Look at the Good Place. Shorter run. Less waste.

Second, I find it odd that someone posts that Toby and Kate are only about their weight when they clearly moved on in this very episode and it was about knowing each other.

Third, Kevin's actions were odd but he knew Randall was in trouble and not just detained. The clues were in the call. It was a brother thing.

Fourth. The Coke. Are we sure this was a hospice nurse? Randall said he was getting a nurse. It was trivial but whatever.

Fifth. William throwing her out. He is struggling with his fate and lack of independence. I've seen it in both my parents as they were dying.

Fifth. Kate not having diseases. When I was 37 I was very overweight and did not have diabetes or high blood pressure. I developed diabetes about 15 years later but at 37 (which Kate is), none of it. It is far from unrealistic. And doesn't Toby's heart issues make up for that story wise?

18. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Yes, he was in trouble. And any of the many family members in the audience could have handled it.

19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It was well put earlier in the thread. What made the show good was it didn't behave like a network show. Now it's a network show.

20. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    I thought it was one of the greatest episodes. One of the few times Kevin got concerned about someone beside himself. ...and Kevin isn't known to make rational decisions, so I could see him running out. Someone of course knows, just not the audience nor the cast member on stage. I thought it was very touching that he went to help his brother.

I love the Kate and Toby story. I thought the direction it went this week was wonderful.

The Hospice nurse, not so believable that she wouldn't let him have a coke. And, I am pretty sure they indicated she was a Hospice nurse. Him locking her out of the house, well, that is somewhat believable after having gone through the end of life with my Dad and currently going through it with my Mom.

Also, one of my favorite scenes was with Miguel and Kevin. I loved that conversation about Jack and how he handled things.