This is the first time I've said this in nearly 10 years: TiVo, you suck

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Nate Finch, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Nate Finch

Nate Finch New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Belmont, MA

Advertisements

The internal hard drive in my Series 3 started to die, causing stuttering video and audio, so I looked at TiVo.com to see what was up with new TiVos... I could get a refurbished Premiere for $100 with the same monthly cost... or I could get a replacement HD for about the same price. Might as well get the new TiVo right? HD interface and all that, pretty cool. So I bought it.

.....except that TiVo decided that the external hard drive I've been using with my Series 3 now is not supported. Only their official "My DVR Expander" is supported. Well thanks a f'ing lot, TiVo. You just made the Premiere a suckier product than the Series 3. There's nothing it does better. It is only worse than my Series 3. That blows. The only reason for locking out generic hard drives is a money grab, pure and simple, so they can make their $20 or whatever off each My DVR Expander purchase.

I have been a devoted TiVo fan for almost 10 years. I've owned 4 of their devices, and up until now I've held them to be a really great company. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a $117 1TB external off Amazon, and reward TiVo for their BS, or return the Premiere and spend $159 on a new internal HD from weaknees for the Series 3. Either way, I lose.

Am I wrong? Please tell me there's something I'm missing here. I couldn't really afford the $100 for the new TiVo, another expenditure to simply equal my old experience just hurts, a lot.

-Nate

2. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    It wasn't supported on your Series 3 either. You got one to work and that's great for you, but it was not supported.

3. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Yes one can get most external drives to work on the S3 (there is a how to on engagets web site). Have not tried this on my Premiere.... How big is the external you were using? What about putting it in your premiere? You can find instructions here to install a bigger drive in your premiere. As for the weakness kits. I do believe you will need your provider to come out and pair your cable cards again if you get that kit ($40 for a truck roll here).

I got a 2T drive of newegg for $70 and used the instructions in the underground section....

I hear ya on "that sucks" but upgrading the internal drive yourself is actually very easy.... The reason I got a TiVo and not a comcast DVR was because I could upgrade the drive on the TiVo unlike a comcast box (heck can't even use an external on a comcast box).

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Actually, the Premiere does two things better than a Series 3 uncontestably:

1. Multi-room video transfers about 4-5x faster than a Series 3. It's the ONLY thing Premiere really does well at this point, but it IS substantially better than a Series 3 for that.

2. Power. It sips power.

And, that's it.

I concur that you should take the drive out of the external and install it in the Premiere using the instructions here. You'll get a much bigger drive and lower power usage plus no multi-box hassle. That will cost you $0.00. However, if you want to get a 2TB drive for about $70, you can have mountains of storage.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

At 23 to 25 watts it doesn't exactly sip power. But it does use less power than the 35 watts the S3 uses.

6. Audiovidman

Audiovidman Audiovidman

Jan 21, 2011
    There is no other product out there like TiVo. Your other choices are the cable companies DVR which is horrible. TiVo knows that and that's there advantage. I have two Premiers on Cablevision and work fine. Remember, TiVo only makes it's money$$$ on software only.

7. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    There is the Moxi. I have one. Its a good DVR, in some ways better than Tivo. If it streamed as good as the Premiere (It doesnt) and was a tad more responsive to the remote, Id get rid of Tivo all together.

8. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Okay, *relatively* speaking, it sips power - about 30% less.

9. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA
    30% less is substantial to me; I had 4 Directv DVRs running 24/7, and now I just have the Tivo Premiere. Let the savings begin!

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Use the 30 day money back guarantee to send the premiere back. Buy the hard drive and fix your Series 3.

If you're past the 30 days, then just buy the hard drive and fix the series 3 and retire the premiere until a future date when it is needed.

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Actually the S3 (648) did/does support just about any external HDD, provided you used the correct USB cable. It was the subsequent HD and HDXL that would only support (without hacks) the "official" My DVR Expander, along with the S4. The OP didn't have to perform any hacks on his S3 to use almost any external HDD.

12. hungarianhc

hungarianhc New Member

May 30, 2007
    You're completely right. TiVo has moved forward at a snail's pace... yet somehow, their product is still the best out there in overall ease of use. It really boggles the mind. I LOVED my original TiVO. Then I REALLY loved my Series2. In fact, that thing is still kicking with an upgraded drive and a lifetime service. I use it for my slingbox. Now let's move on to the TiVo HD... it was fine, until the drive died. So I had to buy a new TiVO Premiere. I decided to save money by getting a used one on Craigslist. Whoops. Turns out that with these new pricing plans they have, I went from getting a TiVo monthly service of less than $10/month to some $20/month crappy thing that is eligible for my box. On top of that, the NEW UI is so buggy and slow... that I have to disable it and use the same old TiVo UI from before. It really is a pathetic state of things. How long has the Premiere been out? And the thing STILL doesn't have a second core enabled? The newer smartphones are dual core... and tivo can't figure out how to enable our second core. RETARDED.

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo's model is pretty clear: you pay up front a ton of dough (not including the recent $99 for $19 per month deals) for a box that you own, pay an additional monthly fee for service, and when it dies you get to deal with the cost of repair either through TiVo or a 3rd party.

If you are really happy with your S3, as I am, then the HDD replacement by Weeknees seems reasonable for someone who, for whatever reason, doesn't want to do it themselves and save a bit of money. I will certainly do this when my S3 HDD dies. How can one "lose" if for a reasonable price for parts and service one gets the TiVo they really are happy with back in 100% working condition?

However, it sounds like you expected the cable or satellite company model, where you get a DVR FREE or at a substantial discount in exchange for "leasing" the DVR that also provides either a free replacement or a shipping charge of $15 should your DVR not function properly. This model is the better value. However, it is not a TiVo, and folks who prefer TiVo are usually well aware of the inferior value, but consider it worth the additional costs for TiVo's subjective enhanced features and experience. While I do think Dish ViP DVR's are, overall better than TiVo and are of superior value, if I were stuck with cable or Fios, it would be Moxi HD or TiVo for me, thank you, even though they are cost more than what the cable co or Telco offers.

So one would really have to ponder the TiVo model and the Cable co and Sat co model, weighing advantages, disadvantages and full costs, and make the decision knowing the consequences before criticizing or felling cheated by one model or the other. In other words, what happened you eventually happens to all TiVo users, and we factor that in our decision. I really haven't come across people who didn't already know the risks of owning a TiVo--or a Moxi HD, for that matter.

14. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If the Premiere from Craigslist was originally bought before 11/14/2010, it should be eligible for normal TiVo service plans. Call TiVo and ask, if you think you can get a copy of the original invoice to fax them as evidence of the purchase date. Or if you can prove that you bought it on Craigslist before 11/14/2010, that should work, too.

Enabling the second processor core would probably be easy enough, but writing multithreaded application code to take advantage of it is difficult, especially when the Flash platform that they are using may offer little or no multithreading support.

15. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    While I feel your frustration:
    1)In most modern electronics compatibility isn't guaranteed with a version change. Tivo HD kept you from using most external hard drives (maybe even all but mydvr expander I think)- now premiere continues that tradition. The s3 is now 2 generations old (but not bad by any means). So it's not unrealistic to see it not work.
    2)I would ditch any external drives-get a premiere and drop a $70 internal 2TB drive- I did it- easy and a 2TB dvr is NICE!

16. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  17. Nate Finch

Nate Finch New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Belmont, MA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am fine with doing a replacement on the internal drive... more space for less money sounds like the way to go, plus no hassle with the external drive. Didn't realize that was an option. Still annoyed, but what can you do?

18. sangahm

sangahm New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    What drive is the best for byte/dollar? I am looking for something around TB but don't want to buy something that will break in 6 months.

19. sangahm

sangahm New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Was there supposed to be a link with that? Where can I find the instructions to install the larger drive on my premiere?