This is going to sound extremely crazy...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mikesay98, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    but my TiVo recorded a show I did NOT tell it to record.

Let me start at something weird from the beginning. One my friends calls me Monday and asks if I recorded the Tony Awards (even he thought it was a long shot) because he had forgotten to (he doesn't have a TiVo). I replied back that I hadn't because I have never watched them, they don't interest me, and it was too late by Monday to record them for him.

So, I don't really watch TV on Monday. I get home from work today, Tuesday, and I go to my Now Playing List to see what I have. And lo and behold, among my Conan, Gordon Ramsay, and a couple other shows, there are the Tony Awards sitting there like I had recorded them.

To say the least, I'm completely flabbergasted. I have NEVER watched the Tonys, I don't CARE about the Tonys, and I can say with 200% confidence that I never set it to record them. It can't be a TiVo suggestion because they're all in a separate folder and this was by itself. And it's not a Season Pass recording since I've never recorded it before or told it to.

I couldn't remember if the To-Do list shows things that were recorded and are currently in the Now Playing list, but it wasn't listed there.

Suffice it to say, I am so confused it's crazy. My first thought was like, maybe my friend somehow knows my password to my email or something (password I use everywhere), somehow logged into my TiVo account, and somehow set it to record. But that is so improbable it's practically impossible. I'm the only one with keys so no one else could have come into my apartment and set it themselves (equally as improbable).

So, I don't know what to think. I know many may think "oh, he must have set it to record and just doesn't remember" but I'm so absolutely confident this isn't the case. I have NO REASON to watch these and no care to. Plus, it would have had to be in the last 2 weeks, and I know for a fact that I've gone in to record one show in the last 2 weeks.

I just don't get it!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    If it was set to record from tivo.com (or other site), there will be a message on your TiVo that confirms it. Look in messages and see.

I have no other explanation, sorry...

3. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Is it possible you have an Auto-Recording WishList that triggered the recording? Maybe one of the stars or keywords listed in the episode description caused it.

4. David_NC

David_NC New Member

May 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Maybe the neighborhood kids are having fun, sneaking up to peoples windows with a remote and programming their Tivo's to record stuff. :D

5. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I checked and there's no such message, so I guess that can't be it. Thanks, though!

That was my only other initial thought, since it says it was hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, whom I love to watch. However, my TiVo box is relatively new (I've had problems with boxes in the past). I checked my WishList and it's empty since I've never even gone into it.

And because it's relatively new, I've done barely any recording with it, aside from shows with Season Passes, which is why I would remember telling it within the last 2 weeks to record the Tonys, which again in itself is crazy to me because I have no interest in watching this.

Lol, I wish I could say that's it so I wouldn't be so darn confused by all this. Unfortunately, not only did I leave my blinds closed today to keep my apartment cool, I also live on the third floor facing the street, so it would be extremely difficult to get up here to do that, especially without anyone noticing. :(:(:(

6. JonathanMeyers

JonathanMeyers New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Plano Texas
    You were obviously totally wasted, set it to record, and forgot.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Even though your friend doesn't have a Tivo, he probably knows what's up.
    I think he found out your password and logged on to your Tivo account (not impossible).
    He then set your Tivo to record the Tonys and waited until after it aired to ask you about it.
    Pretty funny if that's what happened.:D

If true, now you just need to set him up for revenge.
    Figure out a way for him to admit he hacked into your account, and then tell him he screwed up your Tivo. :)

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Online scheduling would result in a message on the Tivo stating that it would be recorded and the recording would have a little PC icon next to it.
    A simpler, more plausible explanation would be that the friend was visiting and scheduled it from the sofa.

9. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Suggestion?

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Did you leave your friend alone in the TV room while you were in the bathroom or kitchen giving him a chance to manually record it sometime in the last two weeks? The mysterious recording coupled with his phone call suggests foul play. I know that when I visit a certain friend and he leaves the room I give shows like Oprah three thumbs up just to irritate him.

11. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    GuruGuide recording ? IIRC, they end up in the regular NP list, and they would be all sorts of eclectic stuff that you never specifically intended to record.

12. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Heh, I noticed that my tivocasted CrankyGeeks had a thumbs down the other day, I bet my wife did it (she says one cranky geek is enough).

13. donkeykong

donkeykong New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Thank you so much for posting this because I thought someone may have hacked into my account as well. I've had exactly the same problem you are describing. I've got a Series 2 and on June 7, I had not one but two recordings of My Big Fat Greek Wedding which I did not schedule.

Today, I looked at my To Do List and the ghost had scheduled NFL Live, I Can't Believe I'm Still Single, and The Next Bite. Not only that, but they were scheduled as Season Passes!

It's a little troubling, but the most annoying thing about it is that they took precedence over shows that I had scheduled myself. Actually, I should have looked to see how they were ranked in my Season Pass Manager. If the ghost strikes again, I'll have to see where they are ranked.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
  15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    said the guy with the Dharma initiative logo in his avatar ;)

16. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings!

17. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    i got a weird recording too, but chalked it up to ... i didn't know what. it sounded too crazy to even post...

i found 'rachael ray' in my now playing. i've never watched rachael ray, don't like rachael ray, don't watch food channels, yada yada. so i deleted, then came another one. turns out it was a season pass!

nobody else uses the tivo - ever. really. i live alone and don't even watch tv with friends when they're here. this has never happened. went to see what 'rachael ray' was next to, figuring i must've just hit the wrong program when trying to schedule another season pass, but that's not it.

so - dunno. just chalking it up to ... i don't know what .. and moving on.

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Nah, that's too obvious a reason.

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Sometimes it's the obvious things. :)

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's really wild because a couple of weeks ago, the SAME THING happened to me; a Rachel Ray show got recorded. The only other person who uses the TiVo is my daughter and she didn't set it up. And, believe me, I didn't either. :confused: