This is CONFUSING. SEE if you can UNDERSTAND! Tivo Recording HELP!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ddrultramix, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005

Advertisements

This may be very confusing for you readers so I'll do my best to keep it understandable. So I have a 40hour tivo series 2 box. I record things. (Lots of season passes). I get to a point where the Tivo says "If you record this, we will not record this". The only thing is, I know that I will delete the first show recording before the other show thats going to be recorded. But tivo still removes it like I will never delete anything! So my question is, is there a way you can set tivo to "Record this next show if I delete some shows off of my drive". I just dont want to manually have to transfer my files to my computer, then go back to the tivo, find the episode/movie it cancelled and then set it to record again. Hope you get it.

2. cleckjr

cleckjr TiVo Deputy

Feb 21, 2005
    Bedford Falls
    My only thought would be to make sure that when you've set up your Season Passes you don't set the "Keep Until" setting to "Until I Delete." Then TiVo should go ahead and behave as you are expecting and schedule the recording.

Only pitfall is that TiVo will decide what previously recorded program to delete in order to have enough space. The manual gives information on the rules TiVo uses.

If you are already doing that, then I'm stumped.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    If the scheduled recording that the TiVo "canceled" was from a season pass or auto-recording wishlist, the TiVo will reschedule it automatically if you free up enough disk space before the program airs. (Due to processing time its best if the space is available at least a hour or two before the program airs).

If it was a manual recording then you would need to go in and manually reshcedule it.

It also sounds like you might want to look into upgrading the hard disk size in your TiVo, so you run out of space less frequently.

4. granoff

granoff Post Mark

Jul 9, 2001
    MA
    I believe the warning means that if you don't delete anything yourself, the accumulation of recorded shows will not allow themselves to be purged when free space is needed to record more shows because the already recorded shows' "will be kept until" date has not yet passed.

I think if you say "Ok" to this warning, and you do delete things on a regular basis, that the shows that TiVo said it wouldn't be able to record will get recorded.

TiVo cannot presume you will delete anything yourself. So it can only base its guess of what it will and won't be able to record on how long already recorded shows and the show you want to record when you see the warning will hang around until purged when space is needed. (Does that make sense?)

We have a viewing model in our house that has lots of stuff recording all the time, and since we watch something every night, we have lots of stuff being deleted every night. So we never run into real space issues, despite any warnings we might recieve while setting up new recordings.

Does any of that help?

-Mark

5. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005

Advertisements

Ok let me get this straight. So, if I set ALL of my tivo recordings to "keep until space needed" I can say "record 1000 shows" and it will, but it will just automatically delete the ones in the way of space? And that way it wont say "Will record this but not this:" and instead it will say "Will record this, but this may be deleted". Am I correct?

6. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    If you just leave it as keep until space needed, it won't say anything. It will just delete the oldest program (after any suggestions).

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    That's correct. It will say "I will record ABC, but program DEF will be deleted early." What it really means is that DEF will expire early, but tivo never actually deletes programs unless it actually needs the space at that moment.

Try to avoid overuse of "Keep Until I Delete." When it comes to scheduling, of course tivo must assume that those programs will still be there when it is time to record a new program, since you've told it you want to keep those programs for ever. I generally use KUID only for programs I want to keep around for very extended periods. Like years.