This channel is encrypted

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by qIroS, Aug 15, 2007.

1. qIroS

qIroS TiVo vIparHa'qu'

Feb 3, 2002

Advertisements

With my unsuccessful attempts to get an Asda Onn freeview adapter to work with TiVo, as a last ditch I tried to get the analogue aerial connection to work.

I went through yet another guided setup, but afterwards I ended up with six copies each of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5. All of which when selected display a message stating that the channel is encrypted. This aerial flylead provides a nice strong signal when plugged into a freeview adapter so what's the deal with this encryption thing? I assume what it means is TiVo doesn't like the signal in some way - too weak or something.

Ideas?

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    This is from a TiVo setup for aerial only at Guided Setup? What exactly does the message say?

3. qIroS

qIroS TiVo vIparHa'qu'

Feb 3, 2002
    It's not at guided setup, no. It's after the guided setup is complete and you try and view Live TV. The guided setup was run with aerial only.

It's just a blue box in the middle of a black screen with a message "This channel is encrypted".

4. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    This is not a TiVo message :confused: Do you still have the freeview adaptor plugged in? This looks like the output from a decoder box when the channel it has been tuned to is encrypted and no decoder card or key is present.

The TiVo does not and never has ( in S1 guise UK boxes ) been involved with decrypting channels.

Rgds,

R.

5. qIroS

qIroS TiVo vIparHa'qu'

Feb 3, 2002

Advertisements

I did have that freeview adapter still plugged in but it definately looks like a TiVo message. It's in the correct colour scheme and overlays the black screen. I'll check again tonight.

The main point is, it's getting no signal through the aerial. It should be displaying a picture surely when you do an aerial only guided setup. The flylead works when plugged into a freeview decoder or the aerial input on the TV itself.

6. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    This is one of those situations where the error message you describe suggests that things aren't quite set up the way you say in your post.

Disconnect the STB from the TiVo completely, re-run guided setup selecting Aerial Only and see what you get.

7. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    OK, pull all external adaptors. I can tell you categorically that the message is coming from the AUX input scart from the freeview adaptor. The only cables you should have plugged into the TiVo should be the aerial in, TV SCART out and power, nothing else.

Now go through guided set-up for aerial only. This will tune correctly, you will then get the terrestrial channels on their channel numbers for your area.

Rgds,

R.

8. qIroS

qIroS TiVo vIparHa'qu'

Feb 3, 2002
    Will do this tonight and see what happens.

9. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    Would love a snapshot of that if you can and it's not too late. I've done a search and the word "encrypted" doesn't appear anywhere in with the other text messages in TiVo's database.

Yes indeed it should. You may get this message:

10. qIroS

qIroS TiVo vIparHa'qu'

Feb 3, 2002
    Well, I learned something new about TiVo after 5 and a half years.

If you do an aerial only guided setup with something plugged into AUX that's providing a picture (in my case, it was the encrypted channel message because the freeview adapter had no UHF connection) then the aerial guided setup fails. It fails to find any channels and fails to display a picture on any UHF channel - preffering instead to always display the AUX input.

I did the aerial only guided setup without the freeview adapter in and it worked.

Mind you, I now have a different freeview box that TiVo can work with.

Back on track! Thanks for all the suggestions.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Agreed. That is weird :)