This can't be right...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Cad0587, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Cad0587

Cad0587 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    If I have something already set to record... like a season pass or a manuel record set up this isn't a problem. But say I'm watching something and press the record button an turn off the tv... it records a black screen, it records the tv being off! If youre going to record on the fly like that, do you have to have the tv ON? I can't imagine that's true...

2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    You need to check your cabling and make certain that the cable goes into the TiVo first, then to the TV. Also if you have a TV that has video out I'd be surprised...but I guess it's possible.

3. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    Definitely possible because I have a TV with an output. About as useful as nipples on a man, but it definitely has one.

4. Cad0587

Cad0587 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    By output do you mean the thing on the tv that says "cable out" is that the same thing? is there supposed to be nothing in that?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What is your recording source, and what are you turning the TV off with?

6. Cad0587

Cad0587 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Ah, okay. When you said 'what are you turning the TV off with?' I did a little experiment. I can't turn off the TV with the remote that comes with the cable box (the remote I'm used to using) I have to use the remote that came with the TV and it records while the TV is off. Thank god, I was going to say, how wrong could I possibly have this set up haha. Thanks everyone =)

7. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yeah, the cable box remote basically works against you at this point. Throw it in a drawer and don't use it any more (unless you want to order PPV or another specialized cable function). It will only mess your TiVo up.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    How about programming the Tivo remote to control your TV?