Thinking of upgrading S3 to Premiere - quick question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by crowfan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Hello everyone,

I currently have a Series3 with Lifetime and a TiVo HD with monthly service at a grandfathered rate of $7/month. The S3 is my main device, in my living room, and the HD does spillover/backup duty mostly in the basement.

The S3 has been having a ton of problems lately, and I'd like to upgrade it to the Premiere, but I don't have a ton of money to do so.

In the past, I seem to remember that some people were able to buy a TiVo box at retail, then just go into the account settings on tivo.com and swap out the TSNs. But now I know that TiVo has deals with lots of retailers and they don't really sell the box without service anymore -- seems like every site has the same deal, buy the box for $99, and get service.

Is there any way to buy the box at a higher retail price and swap out the TSNs these days? Or is my only option for a Premiere to go with the $99 box/$20 monthly deal, or pay for new lifetime?

Thanks.

2. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    from my understanding when the online change TSN blocks premiere TSN numbers. You really only can go with 20 bucks a month or lifetime.

Someone correct me if i am wrong but that was my understanding.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You can buy a Premiere from TiVo for $300, but all that does is eliminate the required 1 year commitment.
    You'd still have to pay $20/month or $499 for lifetime.
    If you buy/subscribe before you get rid of the S3, you should be able to get the MSD subscription of $15/month or $399 for lifetime.

4. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks. I kinda figured those were my only options, but I thought it was worth checking.

I guess I'll just hope that the S3 keeps chugging along. :)

5. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes, I just learned this the hard way. Bought a TiVo Premiere from someone on Craigslist, then tried to switch TSNs from my TiVoHD to the new one -- like I had done going from S2 --> HD and S1 --> S2 before that, mind you -- and it wouldn't let me do it.

Called TiVo and was told that I could only switch to the Premiere if I changed my billing plan. (I'm on a good deal... one at a retention rate of 6.95/mo and one on a 6.95 Multi-Service Discount rate.)

Still, I've been a customer for 10 years or so and it was a little off-putting that they wouldn't let me switch to new hardware. It's not like I'm getting a lot more service features on the S4...

6. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, to be honest, I am disenchanted with TiVo these days, for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, warts and all it's still the best DVR experience out there.

If my S3 does die and I can't bring it back, I'll probably just end up with a FiOS DVR.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Not a very good choice. My neighbors are always complaining about missed recordings with the FiOS DVRs. So they just put up with it since they won't get a TiVo. But they miss more recordings every few months than I have in ten years with TiVos.
    The same goes for the few neighbors with Comcast DVRs.

Even with the current FiOS offering of a free DVR for life it isn't worth it. Not when it inculdes numerous missed recordings.

8. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not thrilled with my options, that's for sure. We live in a mother-daughter and we have a FiOS DVR for my in-laws. They haven't complained about it missing recordings, but I don't know if they would. They seem to think it works OK. I also have many family members with FiOS and they use the FiOS DVR without issue.

But I'm also not thrilled with the prospect of shelling out hundreds of dollars for what seems to be an unfinished TiVo device. And I'm losing faith that it will ever get finished. I don't own one, but I have a friend that does, and it's not what it should be.

So yeah, not thrilled with my options.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I PMed you, but you also didn't mention what problems your S3 is having. It is very likely to be a hard drive problem.. and that can be fixed, and likely save your existing recordings or the vast majority of them.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How comfortable are you with opening up that S3?

I ask because I suspect your problems might be hard drive related but even more likely are power supply related.

If you've got capacitors going bad on the power supply, you can probably spot them just by looking if you know what to look for.

Go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague", and then further your education on how to spot them at badcaps.net.

If the power supply isn't the problem you should probably remove the hard drive, hook it up to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostic software's long test.

Unless you want to sell it to me really cheap, and then it will be my problem.:)

Of course it's not impossible for the motherboard to be the problem, but if that's an original S3, the TCD648250, the chip containing the TiVo Service Number (the number tied to the lifetime sub) can be moved to a new motherboard.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    +1 just fix it.

12. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Oh I definitely plan on attempting to fix it first. I was just asking in case of catastrophic failure. :)

I've upgraded drives in TiVos before so the first thing I would do would be to put in a new hard drive. I'm not sure how to accomplish that with the setup I have -- the S3 has the original drive in it and there is an external attached as well, so I'd have to combine those two into one larger drive. I'll do that research when the time comes.

The most frequent problem we have is with it freezing. We'll be watching a show and when it gets to a certain point it will freeze and then reboot. If we're quick enough with the remote we can skip forward to jump over that "freeze point" and sometimes that will avoid the reboot.

We've also had it reboot when attempting to watch a Netflix show, and once it stopped responding to the remote (Bluetooth Slide remote). One of the two USB ports is dead I think.

So I'm thinking it does sound like the hard drive and before I do anything else I'd attempt to repair. I'll probably make a project out of it one weekend coming up if I can find the time with a 17 month old running around and the holidays approaching. :)

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the only way you can combine the two drives into one is to copy everything (shows) off onto computer and then recopy it back to the new big single drive, although if you still have the original interior drive it might only have 2 MFS pairs, but I don't know if you could copy the exterior's partitions onto a bigger internal as #14 and 15 and have the TiVo understand that or not. I know it "stripes" each recording across both drives once you install an exterior, but it may not be set up to understand "striping" across partitions on a single drive.