Thinking of Returning to TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JWolff, Jan 24, 2012.

1. JWolff

JWolff New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I was a happy TiVo customer in the early S1 days and stayed on for S2. I then jumped ship to DirecTV. I've now been with FiOS since 2006 and I'm tired of paying for HD DVR rentals. It kills me to think I've paid Verizon about $1000 in the last 5 years for DVR rental.

I still have an old Toshiba SD-H400 (TiVO with DVD Player) in the closet that I haven't gotten rid of because it has a Lifetime Sub associated with it. It's still functioning but I obviously don't want to use it anymore since it's Pre-HD.

I want to replace my two FiOS HD DVRs with two new TiVO Premiers with Lifetime. Does anyone have any prior experience with getting TiVO to do a lifetime transfer on one old box if I offer to pay for one lifetime and purchase two new Premier boxes directly from them?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The best way to get an answer is to call TiVo and ask. The answer seems to change week-to-week and also changes depending on who you talk to.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    First, get the old DVD/DVR out and connect it so Tivo can see it. And make sure it on your account. For some reason Tivo likes to see that you are part of the happy family and your using it. And maybe you can use it in the garage on in the kitchen or maybe give it to a family member? Or if has full lifetime service it is worth about $150-200 on ebay or here.
    I have never heard anyone getting a good deal in your situation. But who knows? Tivo management seems to have program of trying to keep people from stopping their subscription, so you might have better luck if you have a Premiere under subscription when you try to negotiate some kind of deal. Maybe buy a Premiere for $50 on craigslist and go for the month trial and then say that you are going to cancel and maybe they will give you a deal for lifetime?!!?

There are Premiers out there with 'Evaluation' contracts that means that they are just like a lifetime Tivo, but you never know if the box my lose its' subscription. It appears that Tivo is giving them as prizes and the evaluation sub usually doesn't end after the supposedly one year free contract. So you might buy a couple of those and hope that they don't go dead on you. There are some for sale here in Denver on craigslist. I bought two of them with wireless for $100!! I have another eval' box that is almost 10 years old, still running fine.

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The advice about getting the old box back online at least temporarily is good because that should get you an MSD discount on the Premieres as long as the old box shows up on your Tivo account. As for transferring the old lifetime to a new box, probably not going to happen. Doesn't hurt to ask but expect a "no".

5. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    30 days active is the magic number, BTW.

Simply plugging it in and letting it connect one or two times isn't good enough.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    There are no current lifetime transfer offers.. There were short-term ones sometime after the S3 & TivoHD came out..

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The SD-H400 came with a lifetime subscription to TiVo Basic which was a limited version of the TiVo service. Did you upgrade this to the full TiVo plus service? I don't believe the TiVo Basic service was eligible for any of the lifetime transfer offers even if they were offering one at this time.

I don't think the TiVo Basic service that came with the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD TiVo's would qualify you for a MSD either.

Scott