Thinking of going to Dish, could use some advice

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nabuch, Aug 18, 2006.

1. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA

Advertisements

I've been with DTV from the beginning, but I am fed up with the lack of HD content. I am thinking of switching to Dish network, where the hardware is free for new customers.

I could still use my HDtivo for network HD shows, I don't see how DTV could stop it from happening.

I have heard bad things about Dish in the past, and wonder if anyone here has switched the other way, from Dish to DTV.

Switching would probably save me money, and I'd be getting a lot more HD movies. I may lose my sports package, but I only watch horse racing anyway.

Should I switch or should I stay? Will this be a bad move a year from now when DTV may( and probably won't) add more channels.

Seems like I have to go through the hassel of a new receiver and satellite dish installation, regardless, so now would be the time to do it. What do you all think?

2. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA
    I think I just got my answer. Echo Star is being forced to turn off all HD dvrs to Dish subscribers for infringement on TIVO copyrights. If Dish has no HD dvr than they won't have me either?

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I have one word of advice: don't.

I was with them for the first 8 years (before their pricing raised to the same level as DTV), but their PVR technology is about the worst you could imagine. Unreliable, unstable, unwieldy, and exceptionally user-hostile. Programs not firing off, recorded programs regularly disappearing, frantic monthly software updates that broke more than they fixed, you name it. When they couldn't even get my last PVR to tell time, that was about it.

Other than that, they're fairly equivalent to DTV. A decent DBS vendor, with P-P customer service.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That injunction has been blocked, see other threads. But, most here would agree that you shouldn't switch. :)

5. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ

Advertisements

I switched a couple of weeks back and things are fine. I keep checking my "to do list" and it is functioning properly. It records only first run episodes, just like I want. The PQ is great, the HD is why I switched. I seem to keep the channel guide in the "HD Only" mode and have plenty to watch. If there is an injunction granted for good and Dish must ditch their DVR I will switch, but to Comcrap, they offer the 2nd most HD and no commitment. I haven't had any problems with the Dish DVR, and I wonder how wonderful the DTV DVR is going to be. Diehard DTVers keep slinging mud, but the new DVRs have yet to be put the test. Without TiVo they can't be as good as they were with.

6. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    You have asked this in a VERY slanted forum. I have had Dish since almost the beginning. The new receivers Vip 622 and 211 seem very stable. I have had the 622 for a couple months and really like it. Before I got the 622 I had a standalone TiVo and Dish. The HD on the 622 is very good with no loss in recordings.

I believe currently there are 29 HD channels available with Food Network HD coming on just two days ago, also soon to come on INHD and 10 of the regional sports channels.

Just remember you asked this in a TiVo forum where DTV has been the norm.

7. Dolamite

Dolamite New Member

May 2, 2004
    heh... by the time i got my password reset, emailed to me etc.... jimborst has answered the question i was going ask :)

i was going to say i'd used older dish dvr's and agreed with the above comments about them sucking, but that i'd heard good things about the 622.... and plan to get one still.... assuming dish dosn't have to pull a bunch of them off the market.... due to this new patent infringement....

still puttin' along with my series1 sony ;)

8. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    NFLST is the only reason I hae D* got to this site for a differnt opinion. I am very impressed by there non hd dvr, I have a friend who has it.

I would love all that HD content on a stable DVR. But there is no NFL there :mad:

9. MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I can only speak from a new user stand point having just cancelled DirecTV. The PQ on both SD and HD is above what DirecTV offers, the choice of 30 national HD channels with more on the way and the 622 DVR is why I left. Am I sorry I did? Not a chance, yet. The hardware has been working perfectly so far, no missed events. It's functionally equivilent to the HD-Tivo IMO. I never used suggestions so I don't miss that tivo feature. The speed of the DVR is amazing. Ther interface only took a day or so to get used to, not really a big shock in that regard. The other night it was recording two shows on satellite while I was watching live a local OTA program. I always felt a bit limited with the two tuners on the HD-Tivo, I always thought it should be able to take advantage of all of it's tuners at once.

The 622 so far has been rock solid with no usability issues at all. I did my own install so I know everything is installed correctly and as perfect as it can be. :D I have all high quality connectors inside and out.

The only thing that has me concerned is this court stuff but I won't bail because something will likely happen. In the end, dish might get stuck with tivo so it would be a win-win situation but so far I really don't miss the tivo to be honest.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

10. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    The biggest problem with the 622 though is that it only has 3 tuners. 2 satellite and one OTA. This alone would keep me from ever considering one as I do all of my HD recording OTA. Plus another big hit is it can't do any type of wishlists. It must have a fast hard drive though if you can access all tuners at once.

11. MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Actually it does have wishlists. Sorta. Thats not what it is called though. You input a keyword and it will record programs that have that keyword in the title or the info for the program.

I thought the lack of a second tuner for OTA would be a problem but so far it's not. But we are not into the TV season yet. Once Dish gets the main HD locals up on satellite we will theorhetically have the ability to record three locals at once. Once again though where I live there are no locals presently uplinked in HD on Dish.

12. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Yikes. That's an absolute deal-breaker for me as well.

13. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA
    Thanks for all the reponses. I realize this is a slanted forum, and yet I'd say the advantage is to Dish. I will be doing some more research with local dealers. If I do switch, I guess I could always switch back, and DTV might do something to get me back. Thanks again.

14. MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    If you are gong to do your own install, it only took me about 15 minutes using the exsisting DirecTV dish mount. Even less wires to connect too. with the Dish 1000, I only had to connect one line to the dish for it to function.

15. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    It's human nature to want validation of one's choices. Nobody wants to fear that they've made a bad choice, especially at these prices. If a person originally chooses one over the other and is happy, that's what they are going to say is the way to go, because that's all they know. If they are unhappy and switch, then they are suddenly very against the first choice, and very much for the second choice, also a pretty natural human response.

If you keep people's true motivations in the back of your mind, you can usually sort out the skewed responses. Discount the anecdotal evidence a bit, and give more creedence to what appear to be the trends in forum posts. It's also pretty easy to separate those who bash from those who simply warn, and those who help from those who just want to point out how stupid you are for being a bit naive or because you might be questioning switching.

If you are concerned about what is a very natural slant towards DTV and Tivo here, go to the forums that are slanted the exact opposite direction or more neutral forums, such as DBStalk and DBSForums. You can get good info, though sometimes slanted, both here and there.

But I will try to say this as unslanted as I possibly can: Having spent way too much time on both, the Tivo-centric forums complain generally about HR10 sluggishness, meager HD offerings from DTV, HD-Lite quality, and the conversion to the new systems and STBs. DISH-centric forums generally complain about crappy interfaces, missed recordings, disappearing recordings, and software updates that don't ever do much except cause recordings to misfire or disappear. There is a huge history of that type of woe, at least as large as the folks who have the DTV issues, over here.

So, A DISH HD customer has a whole separate set of issues from a DTV HD customer. In general, you will be trading one set of positives and negatives for a whole different set of positives and negatives. That will be the crux of any decision to switch.

16. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    Tyrone's pretty much spot-on. It's really very amusing to read the E* groups. One big theme over there has been..... wait for it.... HDMI. Exactly the same complaints we had about the HR10, and I mean EXACTLY. You'll see the same 'CS says it's software and will be fixed in a patch', 'my HDMI just died', etc. Very deja-vu.

One reason I waited for quite a while before switching was that I was watching the VIP-622 threads. When it looked like it was stable, I switched. E*'s DVRs seem to have finally gotten pretty good. I really like the 622, and it has worked without any problems.

So, you do have to decide what's important to you specifically. Both do a pretty good job. Each has its faults. The deciding factor for me was the additional HD content (and the failure of D* to deliver on its countless promises of more content). I suppose I'd have to give the edge to E* in the keeping-customers-informed department. Their engineers monitor the forums and even respond occasionally!

In any case, you can always switch later. (well, 2 years later, although E* does have a 30 day free trial)

Finally, neither E* nor D* will be Tivo-based, so unless you get an HR10, that really isn't a factor. Of course, in this market, you never know what will happen. E* might end up buying Tivo just to shut them up. Then, we'll have to wait and see if they incorporate some of the Tivo functionality we all like, or just kill it.

Removing Tivo from the equation made my decision much easier, and I'd certainly give E* better marks than D*. Of course, I just dumped D*, so I might be suspected of some bias, although actually I'm always completely fair and balanced. :rolleyes:

No matter which you go with, an HD DVR and HD service from anyone is better than no HD! Except maybe some of the Motorola DVRs, that is.

17. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    Probably since the component was a 3rd-party (mechanically-poor) design, and E* and D* both bought from the same vendor.

There's the paradigm shift, right there. DTV has let greed cloud their vision, and in so doing, strangled the goose that layed them a huge golden egg. The DTivo used to really set them apart, and now by their own hand they are back on the same footing, if not a slightly more-precarious one, than E*. Smooth move, Ex-Lax. :rolleyes:

I think you'd see Apple buying Tivo and then Google buying Apple/Tivo first. Some day, all that Tivo stock we lost our shirts on will be worth something once again. Hope I live to see it.

18. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    Nobody has addressed this comment in this thread, but you should know that, unless you maintain your DirecTV account, the HR10-250 won't receive guide data, and therefore you won't be able to schedule any recordings.

19. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA
    I realize it won't get guide data, I just want to use the HD decoder, and manually record, and I don't think D could stop that, could they?

20. badmonkey

badmonkey New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Lehigh...
    Doesn't the DVR service need to be active to use ANY recording functions? If so, I don't think you'd be able to activate the HR10 with TiVo directly and, therefore, would not be able to record anything.

Not sure, though. Maybe someone can confirm?