Thinking of dumping Verizon for Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hmm52, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1 of 13
    hmm52

hmm52 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lower...
    I've had Verizon FiOS, Internet, TV, phone since late '06. No problems except for signal issues (tiling) in late '07 and early '08. Two S3s have been great for the last 4 years, only needing hard drives once in awhile (1Tb and 1+1Tb). The issue that has me considering a change was unexpected - programming, specifically Verizon's dropping of the Tennis Channel; not carried for 3 mo.s, and now off the guide as of today. I don't have that much time for TV but I do record a lot of tennis so it's a major annoyance; VZ/TC negotiations don't seem to be resolving the dispute.

So I'm looking for comments on the consequences of moving (back) to Comcast, TV or TV and Internet, after all these years. Satellite is also a possibility though I'd really prefer not to give up or marginalize the S3s. All associated video/audio equipment is high end and recent - 2010. Transfers aren't a concern as HDMI runs between floors.

A broad question, I know. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Dec 1, 2011 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are thinking of going the direction of satellite/DirecTV, the S3 will not work.

3. Dec 1, 2011 #3 of 13
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you care about MRV or transferring shows to your computer, switching to Comcast may compromise your ability to use those features.

You might search this thread to see if Comcast applies copy protection in your area.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #4 of 13
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Various Comcast systems have much worse signal quality than what's on FiOS. Check your local discussion thread (if such exists) on AVS Forum to make sure that Comcast quality hasn't deteriorated since you left.

Around here, Comcast has been playing some games with quality. But they've improved since being called out about it.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #5 of 13
    hmm52

hmm52 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lower...
    Yes, I realize the S3s would be relegated to OTA use at most if I went the satellite route.

I almost never do transfers; never copies to computer. When I left Phila. Comcast in '06, nearly everything was copy restricted (copy once). Nothing that way with VZ and none of my cards are paired. It would be a step backwards. Will Comcast be deploying tuning adapters? I heard something to that effect some time ago.

I don't have, or at least notice, any quality issues with FiOS - no compression artifacts; streaming video always works very well. Degraded picture quality or Internet hiccups would really bother me. The first, a deal breaker.

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

6. Dec 1, 2011 #6 of 13
    Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    FYI Comcast Philly only copy restricts pay channels (HBO etc), everything else if fair game

7. Dec 1, 2011 #7 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You may need a Tuning Adapter with Comcast (check if they are using SDV in your area). They can be a real PITA for some folks (including me, although I'm on Time Warner Cable). My impression from this forum is that Verizon FIOS is the stand-out best cable service for Tivo's. I guess it boils down to how critical tennis coverage is to you. Have you researched the possibility that tennis may return to your FIOS?

8. Dec 1, 2011 #8 of 13
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Picture quality!

If your moving back to Comcast why did you leave in the first place? Whats changed?

9. Dec 1, 2011 #9 of 13
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    As long as you're in an Xfinity/World of More service area of Comcast, and considering you're probably serviced as a Philadelphia-area customer, which typically will mean you'll be at the leading edge of programming and service improvements, I wouldn't have any concerns moving from FiOS to Comcast.

Comcast was/is testing SDV in a few areas but in general they're not planning on deploying it anymore. In the future, that may get revisited, but they're instead removing analog system-wide to be able to reclaim the spectrum for digital channels and other services, which gives them the capacity they need to do most things now. They're also focusing more and more on IP based services in newer hardware, so there's really nothing gained going SDV if the plan is IP-based in the future. IP-based is certainly going to be more flexible, too.

And at some point you'll even be able to get OnDemand via TiVo Premiere... though TiVo has a pretty bad reputation in timely deliveries of announced services.

10. hmm52

hmm52 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lower...
    As I said, the issue is programming, one particular channel dropped to date by Verizon. In '05 I was an early adopter of FiOS Internet because it was a superior technology and Comcast's speeds were pitiful; cranky modems as well. Early to FiOS TV for similar reasons plus Comcast's CS was dreadful and I was tired of their techs wasting my time trying handfuls of reject cablecards pulled from other peoples houses before inserting a new one which they may or might not have on their truck. And by late '06 in the Philadelphia suburbs, everything except the locals was flagged copy once. This caused PITA workarounds with the Sony DVRs every time there were multiple successive programs essentially identical - common in tennis tournaments with 6-12 hours of daily coverage. Picture quality is hard to assess back to '06 because much programming was still SD and so forth. 5 years is a long time on every level. If the choice was between staying with VZ or going to Comcast of '06, forget about it, no way. My question is about the 2011 version, Internet and TV, from technology to customer service.

I'd prefer to not have need for a TA - another failure point. At least they've been in the field for quite awhile with other providers so many kinks presumably have been worked out. Glad to hear that Comcast has no near term plans for broad SDV service.

Like a lot of people I've got a big package but watch a pretty paltry number of programs through a week. A few are local so could be had OTA; 2 basic cable plus TC; 2 HBO and 1 Showtime. That's it. Then one of the important ones is dropped. WTF? Now what? Add satellite service just to retrieve one missing channel? For what it's worth, VZ is supposedly still negotiating with TC. If they don't reach an accord by mid January, time of the Australian Open, I'll make some sort of change.

11. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Depending on your internet speeds, the switch to Comcast could be a downgrade. Not to mention, I think Comcast has limitation to how much you can download a month. If you stream Netflix, this could be an issue.

12. telcoman

telcoman Telcoman

Dec 27, 2007
    Central NJ
    Here in central NJ I have no complaints with Comcast. I have three S3 Tivos with single M cards and sometimes transfer shows between them. They are removing analog channels and replacing them with digital.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It gives them the space they need because Comcast still stuffs too many channels per QAM.