Thinking of cutting the cable to go OTA and HULU

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Roosterman, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Roosterman

Roosterman New Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Cheddar Land

Advertisements

I've had a Bolt 500 GB DVR for about 2 years and just found this forum. Using Time Warner now Spectrum. Looking to cut back the cost to some extent. I understand there is a version of HULU that shows the programs live, just as I would see them on cable. Having not done OTA on the bolt and not used HULU I'm not sure what to expect for the channel guide.

As a bit of background, I have a technology handicapped and change adverse spouse. I'm sure a completely unique situation :). If I'm going to make this change, it has to be as simple and similar to the channel guide that we now experience using the bolt. Right now, all local and cable channels are visually displayed on one continuous, ordered by channel number grid. She gets it. She is also able to set up her individual and one pass recordings.

If we make the change, will we continue to see one channel guide? Will we have one guide for over the air and then have to select HULU and have a separate channel guide for it. Or is there really no channel guide and you have an ICON for each, such as an ICON for ESPN, HGTV, History and so on and then need to select each of these to see what is currently on and coming up?

Any help to aid my understanding would be greatly appreciated.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There are also other streaming services like PS Vue, SLing TV, and DirecTV Now that have live streaming TV channels. Some of them have cloud DVR features so you don't need to watch the content live. Not sure if Hulu TV has a DVR feature.

They all have a free trial so you might want to try them out to see which one you like.

3. Roosterman

Roosterman New Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Cheddar Land
    I'm most interested in how the channel guide will turn out. I would hope with the bolt, I would be able to do any recording that I need whether from OTA or HULU.

Doing a free trial with HULU would show me how it handles the content they offer, but I wouldn't be able to see the combination I'm interested in of OTA and HULU combined. I'm hoping somebody on the forum is currently doing this.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You don't record Hulu.

You just watch it.

Shows on Hulu (should) be in One Passes and Searches.

-KP

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

In case it isn’t clear, you’ll see absolutely zero Hulu listings in the guide. OTA is all you’ll see in the guide.

I think you may also be confusing Hulu and Hulu TV. The latter has some cable channels and is NOT available on TiVo at all.

Cord cutting requires a lot of flexiblity from the user. Content is not consolidated at all and usually requires many apps and devices to equal traditional cable. Not a good fit at all for someone not comfortable with change.

Roosterman likes this.
  6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Hulu Live has a free trial, as does the other Live services.
    Just give it a try.

7. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    How is OTA reception with your TV ?

8. Roosterman

Roosterman New Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Cheddar Land
    I was thinking about HULU TV. I've heard it referenced as HULU Live or HULU Beta and now HULY TV. That's why I clumsily described it above. You've given me what I need when saying it isn't available on TIVO at all. Thanks for answering my question.