Thinking about going streaming only...questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TinKC, Jun 14, 2011.

1. TinKC

TinKC New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Kansas City
    So, after having these neverending TA problems with Time Warner, I'm looking for alternatives. Things will be working fine one day and wake up the next day to find half of my shows won't record because I'm not receiving that channel. Most recently, one of my Tuning Adapters stopped getting any channels. I did every trick in the book with no solution, then called Time Warner who tried to zap a signal out to my box, still not resolved so they send a tech out, which the first appt was a week later. That tech came out two days ago and he got that solved so I had my channels. Yesterday, out of nowhere, on a different Tuning Adapter, I'm not getting about 7 channels, 2 of which I watch quite a bit. I try all of my unplugging/rebooting/etc etc without any success. Call Time Warner for them to resend the signal, doesn't help, schedule a tech, again the first appt is a week away.

I am so done with this. I don't have the time to spend messing with these things, rebooting, unplugging, etc etc and then calling Time Warner to wait on hold forever and jump through their hoops, and then wait days for a tech to come, and then have to stay at home all afternoon for them to show up. For me, the point of having a DVR is because I don't have time to plop down on the couch each evening to watch the shows I want. I'm tired of paying for a service that works good 45% of the time.

So, I'm thinking about doing away with cable altogether and just using TiVo for OTA DVRing, and streaming content from Netflix and Hulu Plus. Has anyone gone this route and been disappointed??

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I went OTA only + Hulu/Netflix for about 2 years and had no problems. The only shows I missed watching live-ish was The Daily Show, Colbert Report and South Park, but those were all available through other legal services.

The ONLY complaint that I had was not having access to the three 24-hour news stations (CNN, Fox News and MSNBC). I'm a politics junkie, so not having live access to those stations hurt, but they weren't worth $80+/month.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There are lots of people on this forum that are "pay TV free". The core is OTA after that some have Netflix some don't same with Hulu+.

I personally am OTA only and don't have Netflix but do have a HTPC attached to my setup and Hulu+ for the free month. I really don't use streaming much and will cancel Hulu+ after the free month. If dropping pay TV is acceptable to you or not is really a personal thing and depends on what you and your family watch.

I look at TV as a form of cheap before I go to bed entertainment. With that view I really get more than enough to watch from OTA.

Good Luck,

4. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Well I don't think folks switch because of TA hassles. Sure I guess that would solve your current problem, but it seems like it could be a throw the baby out with the bathwater solution.

5. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    We went OTA only with Netflix a few years ago and don't miss cable, except for some live sporting events. I am not a sports junkie, but I do like watching my college football team play. That' the only thing I miss.

To replace that, I just go to my in-laws (who have DirecTV) and watch the football games, or I add cable for the 3 months of football season and then cancel it. Also, I may just do espn360.com when my team plays on espn and it's available. Other options are to go to a local sports bar and watch the game or actually go to the game. :)

Next year, if TiVo keeps their pricing at $20 a month for my first premier, and $14 for my 2nd, I may just ditch the TiVo's and go with a Roku box to get my Netflix streaming (or use my Wii or Sony TV to get it). I think it would be ridiculous to pay TiVo $35 a month for what is essentially guide data and no programming. I am still struggling with paying $129 + $99 a year for the two. And I won't do lifetime, because I am not sure if I will even keep these TiVo's that long with the way the landscape of television is changing. The TiVo does give us everything conveniently in one place, but the Netflix app is not that great and tends to buffer while our other devices don't have issues.

There are only a few shows OTA that we love to watch that we record. Most of them are available on the network websites to watch if we miss it live. It may be worth saving $35 a month to plug in a laptop to the TV once a week to watch our shows or coming up with some other option to get it to the TV, I just haven't explored those yet.

6. mask2343

mask2343 Cable DVR convert

Jan 6, 2003
    I've been OTA with Tivo DVR for a few months now and can honestly say that I don't miss cable one bit. I get the 4 networks crystal clear with a $10 antenna.

I have Netflix sub which is great for kid stuff (also have a Roku box for their TV). The Amazon VOD service integration with Tivo is absolutely great. For those cable shows that I still want (Top Chef, Tosh.0, etc), I purchase season passes and they are automatically downloaded to the Tivo every week. Download works MUCH better than streaming since there is never any buffering. (Amazon also works with Roku).

I see no need for Hulu+ yet. Until they get more cable shows, I can get 90% of their current TV stuff OTA with the Tivo DVR.

I didn't do it because of Cable problems, I did it because of Budget. I'm saving $50+ per month.

7. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    All of these TA problems are most likely caused by poor wiring in the home or a bad drop from the street. Some channels will not tune in properly if there are foreign signals on your cable lines or (ingress). Have the cable tech do a house certification and a drop certification to make sure your lines are clean. A good ingress reading between 93 Mhz and 800 Mhz should be around -50 dbmv.

8. Thuye

Thuye Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I think you should consider filing a complaint with the FCC (which I think you can do online) regarding the tuner adapter problems you have experienced. I believe (and I could be wrong) that your cable TV provider has a legal obligation to provide you with a viable solution, or face the consequences (possible sanction(s)) from the FCC.

9. TinKC

TinKC New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Kansas City
    Interesting feedback. I like cable TV, I enjoy the variety. The only things I would really miss, and it would be REALLY difficult to go without, would be Monday Night Football (since it's on ESPN) and cable news. I'm a political junkie/breaking news junkie. We can get my kids' shows on Netflix. My husband pretty much only watches Tosh.0 and Walker Texas Ranger reruns and those are on Hulu+ & Netflix.

I love my TiVos, been a customer for about 9 years. I have 3 Premieres, all with TAs. One of them has worked perfectly receiving all channels without any hiccups since the day it was installed with the TA. One has never received SDV channels and still doesn't even though I've had numerous techs here, I pretty much gave up on it. The other one works perfectly about 80% of the time and misses channels here and there and I have to fiddle around with it a lot.

I hate Time Warner with a passion and hate hate HATE the TA situation. I've stuck with them though and putting up with these problems over and over and over for the past 7 months. I'm at a breaking point. I hate having to try to figure all of this ish out. I pay Time Warner $85/mo for my cable TV. I want it to work 100% of the time. I don't want to have to disconnect/reconnect my equipment every week, reboot, and all of this nonsense. I feel like if Time Warner is going to be compatible with TiVo then they need to be able to make it truly compatible. Making the customers jump through hoops and spend all of this time trying to work through the issues is not being compatible. Time is money, no?

In a dream world, TiVo would provide cable TV service and there would be no problems.

10. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I say go for it. I cut the cord (actually the dish) about 5 months ago. Family of 5 with divergent tastes, but we're all 100% satisfied with OTA+Netflix. And needless to say we're saving a ton - over $1000/year!

Only time I missed cable a little was the NBA semifinals (Bulls-Heat) - could watch TNT's odd "Overtime" service online, but it's an odd deal with four camera angles, and not the live channel feed. I actually kind of liked watching it that way, but it's definitely different from the TV feed.

As for Monday Night Football - just go to a bar for Monday Night Football, get a beer or two, and you'll still end up saving money each month! And as for politics and news - there are many fine options online (better options online than the cable news networks these days, in my opinion).

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Some people do OK with cord cutting, some don't. OTA can be hit and miss especially if you're limited to an indoor ant. I've done OK but as I tell people I am not the typical consumer I'm willing to futz with things. If I was around home more often I would go back to cable rather quickly.
    Remember with OTA reception you actually have to like whats on network television, If most of what you like runs on cable you might want to look at satellite television that also solves the sports problem. Even with fast internet sports on-line has it's problems. If you just want to be able to flip on the TV and pick some sports or get breaking news without planning it out then going to a satellite may be your best option.
    Don't forget to add up your costs most cord cutters have fairly fast internet and it isn't cheap.
    Being you have the Tivo's you can test out downloads and OTA and Netflix. But for the most trouble free experience go with Dish or Direct TV.
    You can still get discs from Netflix in the mail to do movies.

12. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Not in my experience.

13. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Glad to hear that Dave. :up: In my experience as a field service technician, the issues I described are responsible for 90% of the problems.

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Are your experiences with Cisco or Motorola Tuning Adapters? Having had both (at different locations), the Cisco was significantly more flakey on known good wiring with known good signal. By flakey, I mean reboots and random loss of link.

15. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I've had a Cisco in my house for 6 months with zero issues and I've installed around 20 of them in subscriber's homes. Considering I have a pretty good record on my "repeat visit" count (that's what my employer calls it when the customer calls back with the same problem) I'd say I've been nailing the install down pretty darn good every time. Alot of techs go into customer's homes and just install the thing without checking the health of the cable system first. There are many things that can be wrong with the cable that will affect tuning adapters. Especially if switched digital video is being used by your cable provider.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are issues with the Cisco TA's. I just don't believe all of the problems people are having with them are solely attributed to the device itself.

We don't carry the Motorola TA's so I have no idea about those.

16. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If the cable provider wasn't using SDV, why would you have a TA? :confused:

17. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    LOL. I drink alot! :cool:

18. teewow

teewow New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I have considered going OTA only ... but everytime I call Comcast to cancel they give me huge discounts. Currently, I am paying $114 every month for 22Mb/s Internet + Full Cable + Showtime + Starz + HBO + Unlimited Digital Voice/Phone.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They wouldn't do anything for me. They wouldn't give me anything, so I dropped their service. And then as soon as I left I started getting calls and flyers offering me these great deals. I still get a flyer from them once or twice every week. But I have no plans on leaving FiOS.

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sounds like a great price. I pay $80/mo for phone and DSL. The phone isn't nationwide and the DSL is about 5.8Mb/s. If I had your deal I would keep cable too.

Thanks,