Thinking about buying my first TiVo - how to make this setup work and save $?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by davidbr55, Nov 16, 2016.

1. davidbr55

davidbr55 New Member

Nov 16, 2016

Advertisements

Hi everyone - new here, but hoping to make this forum a frequent stop going forward. I'm setting up new service for my house and could use some help on how to make the most of it, particularly on figuring out the equipment options I have.

Here are the basics about my situation (let me know if helpful for me to add more info):

-- 3 TVs (bedroom (1080p), kitchen (1080p), and living room (4k)) - I'd like access to live tv AND to recorded shows on all of them, but likely never more than 2 at a time
    -- I have both an apple TV and a chromecast, which I can connect to the secondary tvs
    -- House is not too big, so I have good wi-fi throughout
    -- Planning on being a Verizon FiOS user (150/150 internet, custom tv package)
    -- I might want to record as many as 3 shows at once
    -- I don't think I need a crazy amount of DVR space (let's say 50 hours of HD content is plenty)

I find it pretty ridiculous to pay for $60+ a month to Verizon in order to have 3 boxes, DVR, etc. So I'm hoping TiVo is the solution with either streaming to my secondary tvs from the TiVo app on iphone/ipad to apple tv/chromecast OR getting TiVo live or TiVo stream (not sure what's the difference between those).

Ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
    David

2. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    You need the TIVO and a Mini in each of the other two rooms. If a mini is watching live it takes a tuner from the TIVO, but if watching recorded material it does not. You will need the BOLT model TIVO if you want 4K.

3. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Welcome!

To have a properly working whole home DVR solution with TiVo, wired connection to all three rooms is preferred (and I would say a must). Either coax (for MoCA) or Ethernet.

You don't say what current wiring situation is.

I have Verizon FIOS too, and I have Bolt+ with three Minis (I have to update the signature, as I bought the third Mini not a long time ago). I also have a Roamio OTA, and my Minis and Bolt connect to that as well. I have coax run to all rooms. I am with the concept of "if you do it, do it right and overdo it from the start", so I would recommend a Bolt+ (six tuners and 3 TB of recording space).

4. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I have Verizon also with a four tuner Roamio. I also have two minis connected with an Ethernet setup. I must say that I have zero problems and I would not hesitate to recommend Tivo. I refuse to pay Verizon their outrageous rental fees!! There is an up front cost to get into Tivo, but it really doesn't take all that long to break even after you figure out all the fees and the taxes that the cable companies charge their customers.

5. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

"how to make this setup work and save $?"

The cheapest way to make what you want happen would be a used Roamio Basic (4 tuners) with lifetime and 2 minis. If you are concerned about a used TiVo failing, buy a new hard drive and install it. I'd recommend a 3TB drive. I installed one in my Roamio Basic -- it was easy. You don't say how many viewers you have.

If you might want to use apps like Netflix and Amazon, I think you should pony up for a 4-tuner Bolt. Everyone says it is better and faster with apps. There is a 3TB drive in the Bolt+, so you could always swap in the same larger drive that Tivo uses. I'd go with prepaid annual for the first year -- but Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner and you might want to wait to see what deal TiVo offers.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    ECONOMY: Roamio Basic, 2 minis(Used) might need a single MoCA adapter for Basic depending on your setup.
    RICH: with plenty of disposable income, Bolt +, 2 minis V2 new.
    Other thoughts, buy a Verizon Gateway G1100 router off of Ebay, this should save you $70+ and has native MoCA 2.0. If buying new minis, they are cheaper online from non-Tivo sources. I would recommend you consider getting a 6 tuner version unless $$ are critical, you can always find a use for extra tuners and won't regret it, also the 6 tuner Roamios have builtin MoCA and stream vs the Basic. Also, a larger hd is always a plus and is much easier to upgrade on the Roamio models. 4k is really only a streaming option now and this is not likely to change anytime soon.

UCLABB and chicagobrownblue like this.