Thinking about a Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by 1911shooter, Aug 29, 2007.

1. 1911shooter

1911shooter New Member

Jul 9, 2003

Advertisements

I have an original Sony Tivo with a lifetime subscription. I need dual tuners so an upgrade is in order. I've been using a DVR from Time Warner for a few months and it stinks.

I talked to Tivo and they're transfer my lifetime subscription to a Series 3 for $200. They will not do it with a HD box.

Does anyone think there will be a price drop on the Series 3 anytime soon?

What about the SDV? Anyone heard rumors about San Diego?

Thanks!

2. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    For those of us that paid $799 last September, we might think that the current $579 at the TiVo Community Store price seems pretty darn cheap. You get the nicer remote (a $49.99 value)and a 32 hours vs. 20 hours of HD recording space with the Series 3 (S3) over the newer TiVo HD (THD) (which is $280 cheaper). Plus you get the benefit of those of us trail blazers which have worked out most of the bugs that were in the S3. There are still a few things TiVo is working out with the THD - I have no doubt that they will.

Will they allow lifetime transfers with the THD - maybe, but maybe not. I started with the unit you have now and you won't believe how far TiVo has come! You will want to add more storage with the eSata drive (not available right now for the THD). You will be able to join the 21st century with the TiVo network adapter so that you can be free of having TiVo "phone home" and you can schedule recordings to your S3/THD from any internet connected computer/device.

Many of us are waiting for the day so that we can Multiroom view (can't be done though with the Sony) and for TiVo to Go -download your recordings to your laptop and off you go!

It's time to really join the TiVolution!

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Circuit City has dropped their price to $599... There are better deals on the net...

I got my Sunday at Best Buy...

Traded in the Tivo HD in for the Series 3 simply for the SATA port option...

Still, at $600 it is rather a large chunk of change to put out for an piece of Electronic equipment...

What you have to decide if that is money well spent, or not...

Having had both the Tivo HD an now the Series 3 model, I think in my case I made the right decision...

4. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I totally agree. I love my series 2 but needed a dual tuner and HD, so I went with the more stable model with the bugs worked out. with multi service discount, the S3 was a no brainer vs. the comcast attempt at DVR. As far as price, if both were released at the same time and were polished and ready to go, I would have reconsidered, but I am an in between adopter, one who needs the good stuff but not quite the day they come out. I waited in line for a PS3 and an XBOX 360, sold them and waited some time to see which one I should get. I went the PS3 route because it fit my needs better only after it was an upconverting DVD player (about 3 months ago). Similar logic with the S3, as my tivo is one thing I want to be as close to perfect as possible, as my S2 has been since day one!

5. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Advertisements

If the price has dropped by $200 now, it only stands to reason that it will drop further in the near future, or the first of the year, after the Christmas season...

Perhaps as low as $400 ?

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Already dropped to $400 for a short time around Father's day with a $200 mail in rebate - why I got my 2nd unit. Would expect a similar deal once the THD issues are worked out and the S3 no longer sells anymore at current prices.

7. 1911shooter

1911shooter New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback. I know the Series 3 will be a ton better than my old Sony (which has been upgraded a few times so it's slow as well). The lack of Tivo2Go is a real bummer but I need the dual digital tuners more than any other feature.

I already have extra cables and IR extenders so the lack of multiroom dosen't bother me right now.

Someone mentioned a price lower than $579 for the Series 3. Care to enlighten me because that's the lowest I've found.

I think my biggest concern is SDV. I know the price will come down and there's really nothing I can do about that.

8. chazas

chazas Member

Jan 18, 2007
    There's a 10% off coupon for circuitcity.com floating around that's good until August 31. You can get it from any internet referral site. You can order online then go pick it up at your local store.

I used the version linked from fatwallet.com because you also get their regular 2% rebate.

It all works out to about $530 plus tax.

9. 1911shooter

1911shooter New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Thanks for the Circuit City link. That's a good deal but with sales tax it ends up being more expensive.

Figures!

10. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tivo is selling Refurb S3's really cheap. I haven't checked prices yet. But I know its cheaper that the new box price of $599

TexasGrillChef

11. 1911shooter

1911shooter New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah, the refubished unit does save some money but you have to buy it from Tivo with service so I can't use one to move over my lifetime subscription.