Things that suck about my TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tralfaz, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

I've had my Tivo HD for only about 2 months now. I was thrilled with getting HD, 2 tuners (how did I live without this before?), and nearly instant channel tuning with cable cards.

But since then, I've had numerous issues. I've searched around and seen a few mentions of a couple of these. So forgive me if all of this has been done before, I just wanted to vent. Plus, if anyone actually reads this and believes this is actually a [hardware] problem with my Tivo and not a software issue (which I believe they all to be), please let me know.

- Reboots. It has actually been a little while since it has rebooted, but it has spontaneously rebooted half a dozen times (read: crash)

- No more video. Same as reported by others. Every so often, the video stops. All video, including background animations. Must reboot to get it working again.

- Choppy video. Every so often, and I think thus far I have experienced this only with HD video but that could be coincidental, the video gets "choppy", almost as if the frame rate slows down, but the video of course continues to play at normal speed. Pausing, rewind, ff, etc, tends to make it stop, but not always.

- Sound drops. This happens a LOT and is probably my biggest beef. Sound drops out for half a second. This can be as infrequent as once per hour, and as frequent as every 5 to 10 seconds. Many times this happens while navigating the guide, or otherwise using the remote, but happens randomly while just watching TV as well. Feels like this happens more when tuned to HD, and especially if both tuners happen to be tuned to HD channels.

- Turned my TV on yesterday to find video "frozen", as if someone had pressed Pause. When I changed channels, the Tivo would indeed change channels and the video would then show the new channel, but immediately freeze again. Sound would play for about 2 or 3 seconds and then halt. Got frustrated and rebooted it. I wish I had tried to play a recorded program first.

Annoying things, but not really bugs, I guess:

- Slow. Ok, not really, but it's that the FF, RW, jump and 8-sec jump back take about half a second longer than on my other Tivos. Because I am so used to the behavior of the Tivos I've owned for years, I continually think my remote isn't working and end up mashing the buttons and going back or ahead too far. My remote and my sanity are suffering.

- Smart tuner switching: I'm not even going to go into this one. I did read some posts on this one, so I won't rehash. But I will say that it seems the Tivo developers took some time to try to make the Tivo smart about changing channels, and switching tuners automatically when doing so if necessary. All I can say is: Smart = Dumb. Stop the madness, and let the Tivo do what I tell it to, NOT what the Tivo *thinks* I want to do.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Like I said, these all feel like software bugs to me. What's frustrating to me is, as a software developer, each of the first 5 things I listed is serious enough to prevent me from releasing software until the bugs are resolved. If they slip by me, I'd be sure to address them as quickly as possible. How long have these bugs been out there now?

2. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Sounds like it could be a bum unit. Complaints 3 and 4 could easily be cable company issues.

3. tralfaz

tralfaz New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I assume you are referring to "choppy video" and "sound drops". I guess I should have included (for both of these): When I experience these, if I rewind and watch again - no sound drop, no choppy video (usually). I also never experience either of these on my other (non-HD) Tivo, so I've ruled out the cable company.

On the one hand, I actually hope it is a bum unit, so I can replace it and fix all of this. On the other hand, I hope it isn't a bum unit, because I don't want to have to replace it. :) My TV doesn't have a cable-card slot, so without the Tivo, I'm SOL until it is replaced (I guess maybe I could get basic cable via the coax).

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TiVoPony (a TiVo representative) posted this update earlier today:

5. tralfaz

tralfaz New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

Wow, that's good news. I hope some of the bugs I listed are among those fixed. :)

Thanks for the update.

6. weaknees

weaknees Active Member

May 11, 2001
    Los Angeles
    tralfaz -

I've got to say that some of those problems really sound like hard drive problems (I know, I know, "to a hammer, everything looks like a nail"). But if it's under warranty, you should seriously consider getting it swapped. If it's not, of course, we have replacement drives . . .

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I wanted to chime in and say that the "pausing" video on channel changes is most likely not a hard drive issue. I've gone through two failing hard drives on my older unit and the symptoms aren't exactly the same.

It feels like the mpeg decoding process is getting hung. If you change to a different channel the video will play for a moment then stop. You can do this over and over and its exactly the same every time. Dying hard drives are not as consistent.

8. mjpaci

mjpaci New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This happened to my unit once. Of course it's when I wasn't home and the little lady was trying to watch Ceasar Millan (she's a big fan of Daddy the Pit Bull). I told her to pull the power and wait 60 seconds and then plug it in and wait for it to reboot. It cleared the problem. I haven't seen it pop up since -- this was Superbowl Sunday.