Things I never knew (or forgot) and may surprise you too

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by tonywalk, May 27, 2011.

1. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    When swapping a disc out to a completely different image, the Tivo will remember which remote control address (4 in my case) the Tivo was set to.

There is a deeper "bong" in the system than the deeper bong that you get at the bottom of a page for example. When I put the AltEPG image on my Dev Tivo it had some phantom progs in "Now Playing". Trying to play these results in the very deep and timbrous bong.

Looking at the chips on the mainboard I noticed that the MPEG2 chip is actually badged IBM. Add that one to the IBM PowerPC processor.

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  3. mercurial

mercurial Retro-Av

Oct 17, 2002
    Caraleigh, NC
    That wasn't a "bong" it was the cloister bell, there is trouble in the TARDIS.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Picture from 2001
    [​IMG]

Picture from 2011
    [​IMG]

Automan.

5. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    What have you been splashing on your TiVo?

6. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It is just bubbles / marks on the protective film that I never removed :)

Automan.

7. Furball

Furball Totally TiVo

Dec 6, 2001
    Hampshire...
    Crumbs I thought I was the only one that didnt remove the protective film off stuff :eek:

Furball

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wow, first thing that comes off for me. Leaving it on reminds me of a friend's parents who left the plastic wrap on their sofas so they didn't get damaged.

9. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    [​IMG]

This still has it's film on for easy return :)

Automan.

10. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Judging by the stains you get on your kit it is a good job the film is left on them :eek: :D

Actually, I tend to leave it on too as less it is really naff looking - my first S-VHS player had to have it kept on so you could see the S-VHS logo.

11. Richard42

Richard42 New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Oxford,Oxfor...
    ok there's a coin battery on the motherboard that must have died by now, so what info is TiVo no longer saving on a power cycle reboot :confused:
    Should it be replaced ?

12. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The clock, although I think that survives a power cycle, just not a sustained off.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It appears the UK version didn't have the braindead CMOS battery holder arrangement of the U.S. S1 models.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Those batteries normally last three or four years even when they are actively powering something (like a watch with no mains supply).

As this one is not normally subject to any current drain (if you leave the Tivo on 24/7) it might very well still not have gone flat even after 10 years.

15. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Couple of battery things.

Normally on a powered PC (or TiVo) their will be no current taken from the battery. It is only there to keep the real time clock ticking when the system is powered off.

The shelf life of coin cells is usually quoted 5-10 years to 40-50% capacity.

We have a stores full of 2032 coin cells purchased in 1999 for a project that didn't happen and I measured them at only 50% capacity (100mAh rather than quoted 210mAh) after 12 years.

So probably good news for TiVo owners.

16. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Does the Tivo user interface tell you if the battery in Tivo needs to be replaced or is missing?

Automan.

17. pengbo

pengbo New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Do you think anyone actually thought these machines would still be going 10+ years after they went on sale? and hence even bothered to code for it?

Let alone the fact it was for Joe Public... a message to tell them a battery they wouldn't even know existed and could not easily replace would just confuse the poor people... mind you that probably has never stopped anyone in the past :D

18. tivotrebor

tivotrebor Essex man

Oct 2, 2002
    Essex
    Random thoughts!

on something is just a challenge for me to prove them wrong!

yes but what quantification do I need and where do I get qualified?

Brings to mind
    David Mitchell's Soap Box: Signs

TiVoTrebor