Things Grinding to a Halt

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bluesky, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bluesky

bluesky New Member

Aug 15, 2007

Advertisements

All Live TV and DVR-stored TV through my DirecTV/Tivo receiver have come to a near complete stand-still. I attempt to power up and I get a few seconds of LiveTV until the picture essentially stops. It wont let me get to and execute the troubleshooting or system test options. Its pixelated mess start stop no sound sound not in synch etc etc

In speaking with Tivo, they point out that the box I have is under DirecTV control now and they cant repair it (if that is the conclusion). The tech I spoke with said it sounded like general hardware failure. The catch for me is that I am trying to preserve my lifetime Tivo service that I paid a $250 one time up-front cost for. I assume this is attached to the "card" and not the DVR harddrive or some other part grouping.

Any thoughts on how preserve the life-time Tivo service. If buying a new box is necessary and I can transfer (whatever) the thing that is "attached" or designates the lifetime service... then fine. DirecTV just emphsizes how I can buy a new unit from them and then recommends I call Tivo. The Tivo repped just kept sounding like a jilted lover about how DirecTV didnt want them anymore.

And it now seems i got duped in that I wasnt buying lifetime Tivo for my "account" ... it might be attached to a specific piece of hardware that would (of course) burn out.

THoughts?

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    you have a Directivo I assume.
    Your lifetime is attached to your account in this case, not the box.
    You have DVR service for life on your account. Your problems sound like hard drive failure and should be easily fixed by purchasing a hard drive and installing a new image on it.
    If you don't want to go that route, you can get a new DVR from DTV, but it will NOT be a TiVo.

3. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Lifetime DVR service for DirecTV is tied to the account, not a specific piece of hardware. Relax.

4. bluesky

bluesky New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Thanks for responding. I'll head down the path of repairing and assume the best on the Lifetime service

5. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I think where you got confused was by calling TiVo when your account is with Directv. The only connection with TiVo is that they designed the software in your DVR.