They're Back! Preroll Ads!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Crusin, Dec 27, 2019.

Who wants to see preroll ads?

This poll will close on Jul 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM.
  1. I DO

6.2%
  2. I DO NOT

90.1%
  3. UNDECIDED

3.7%
  1. Crusin

Crusin New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    After asking Tivo to stop preroll ads on one of my devices, the preroll ads finally stopped. But, today they started again.

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The only way to guarantee that you won't see preroll ads is to downgrade to TE3.

3. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Where's the don't care option? I don't care for a single ad before my show. If there are ads in the show, that's where I get annoyed.

jrtroo, Fugacity and andrew1883 like this.
  4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I thought they were eventually coming to TE3 also.

5. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Thrre has been no indication they’ll come to TE3.

To the OP, there was some mention that the flag TiVo sets may not survive an update. Has your box updated recently?

6. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    tivoted said no TE3 ads but not sure if he was absolutely clear about that being forever. I suppose it will come down to if TE3 machines are automatically upgraded someday when they change their mind. Ted has fled the forums so no one really knows what's what anymore.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Nah, he's around--was last here last Saturday--but just lurking.

8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    TiVo_Ted has said that no new features are coming to TE3 and preroll ads are considered a "feature". Obviously, it's always possible that TiVo could decide to do it, but it seem unlikely at this point that TE3 will ever get the preroll ads.

9. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I was told by a Tivo rep in chat that TE3 would need significant changes to be able to support the ads and those changes would basically make it TE4.

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This OP post concerns me even though I'm on TE3 because I was forced to upgrade to TE4 once. Now I noticed their is a 3:AM update , which only seems to happen when they have some big update. I hope it's not another TE4 upgrade forced on me.

11. andrew1883

andrew1883 Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I agree. While I would prefer there not be any preroll ads, I don't really care. I just started using my new TiVo BOLT a couple of weeks ago (did the upgrade from S2DT in the summer and it's been waiting for me since :).

I was expecting the preroll ads to be more aggravating than they are, based on reading here. But it just takes a single press to skip the ad, and I've already got the remote in my hand. I respect the opinions of those who are aggravated by these ads, but I am decided, and I'm decided I don't care. :) Would I vote to remove them? Yes. Would I pay to remove them? No. Would I spend half an hour on the phone getting them removed? No.

jrtroo, ufo4sale and Podchain like this.
  12. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Was at a relatives house on Christmas and they have Suddenlink with the TiVo driven cable box, which is based on TE3.

To be honest, I forgot much about it since being on TE4 but I liked it again.

With being unable to play videos on my Bolt because of the retained cookies and having to do a complete reset to fix it, I may just take the opportunity to downgrade it to TE3.

Can TE3 devices still communicate with TE4 devices(in order to play videos from other devices)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Lurking and never posting is about the same as not being here.

14. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I hope the OP has or plans to contact Tivo to find out how/why ads returned to their Tivo. That would be good to know.

15. Crusin

Crusin New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Now, today, I am getting preroll ads on my other device. Is this revenge for negative posting?

16. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    To Oscarfish's statement, did you call TiVo back to find out why the ads returned?

17. Crusin

Crusin New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    "A system glitch" - that is what I was told by tech support after being on hold for about 20 minutes to stop the preroll ads on my second device and keep them from coming back

18. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I don't like the ads, but pressing skip on the remote seems a lot less painless than dealing with a customer service phone call.

blackngold75 likes this.
  19. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I wouldn't mind it if the ads were smoother - if they were appended to the beginning of the recorded video file or something. Instead, it's

-Press select to pick a show
    -Black screen for a second
    -Arrow screen for 1-2 seconds
    -Black screen with BSC for 1-2 seconds
    -Ad starts, press Skip
    -Black screen for 1-2 seconds with program banner
    -Show finally starts

bam1220, richsadams and Kaphka like this.
  20. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    At least on first glance and as described, it sounds nuisance-like painful--fine for 1 or 2 shows, but not all day long.

richsadams and kpeters59 like this.