They sent me a new HD Tivo, but....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dilweegie, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Dilweegie

Dilweegie New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA

Advertisements

Mine started working again!

The (relatively) short version: My 5 month old HDtivo looked dead. No signal, no power lights, and only the sound of the hard drive spinning and fan to tell me it was even plugged in. I pulled the plug and rebooted it and after the "almost there a few more seconds please" screen, it would shut down completely. No lights on the front-- nothing. I did this 3 more times to make sure and every time the same thing happened.

I called Directv and because I have the protection plan they said they'd send out a replacement within three days. Fine.

So I go about my business and then later that night I plug it in and it does the exact same thing, only this time, on a lark, I press the Format button and Voila, the lights on the front come back and it continues to boot. It's been running normally now for two days.

The only problem is I got my replacement machine THE NEXT DAY (who knew they'd be so fast) and now I have to send back my old one or they charge me $400.

Which one would YOU send back?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd wait as long as you can to make sure the new one is working okay before sending the old one back.

3. joetoronto

joetoronto HR10-250 Lover

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    exactly, the old one is reformatted anyway.

4. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    The other reason to keep the new one is that it probably has the new verison HDMI card in it which is much more reliable than the old one. Even if you don't use HDMI now, you may need it in the future with another TV.

5. Dilweegie

Dilweegie New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA

Advertisements

Excellent point and I had no idea there was a new HDMI card.

6. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    if you have a date on the machine, it's old...if not, it's one with a newer card...just FYI

7. joetoronto

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    ah, i was wondering why mine didn't have a date at the back after reading a thread about manufacturing dates and where the date was located.

i feel a bit better now, thanks, newsposter.

8. nelsonrl

nelsonrl New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Tyler, TX
    be careful if you have any type of direct pay option turned on for directv. Several of us have been charged 1000 even though we returned the unit to DirecTv.

9. joetoronto

Jul 26, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    ouch! that's some crazy schit there, nelson.

i don't have a phone line hooked up to mine but thanks anyway.

10. jnangano

jnangano New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've had this problem before.

If you place the HR10-250 in standby, remove power and then reconnect the power, you still need to push a panel button to get it out of standby.

11. Dilweegie

Dilweegie New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    So the end result of this story is that the one they sent me is working fine (so far) and activating it was one of the better Directv experiences I've ever had.

After being told by the recording that "wait times are longer than usual" I was verified as one of Directv's "best customers" and a CSR came on almost immediately. He activated the programming, assured me that I wouldn't be "accidentally" charged for the new unit, and then after I asked, gave me that $20 programming credit for 6 months.

All in all, a pleasant experience.

It's making it that much harder to leave them when the Series 3 Tivo comes out, but unless it's a dud (highly unlikely), I'm jumping ship.