There is nothing like TiVo! Change my mind

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by thyname, May 23, 2020 at 5:18 PM.

1. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    OK, probably a silly post. But I thought I’d share my thoughts on TiVo. Positive that is, for a change.

Over the past several years, I have been trialing different “cut the cord” solutions, including all Live Tv available services (Sling, YTTV, Hulu Live Tv, DirecTV Now RIP, Fubo, PS Vue RIP). Including recently with TiVo’s own Stream 4K and Sling integration. Nothing cuts it for me. Bolt+ and a few Minis still rock!

So I bit the bullet, and signed another 2-year contract with FIOS. Getting some nice discounts for Ultimate Tv + Gigabit Internet helped.

Here are a few things I could not bear from anything else other than Tivo:

1) Channel numbers (yeah... call me old. Although I am “only” in my mid forties)

2) Auto Skip

3) Season pass management. Nothing beats Tivo. Including “silly” stuff like deleting watched episodes not cluttering my shows, recording only new first time shows, picking the specific channel, etc.

4) Nothing can beat Tivo Mini when you have multiple TVs in the house

5) Price. This probably has nothing to do with Tivo, but I get all the channels I need with my FIOS Ultimate Tv, and when I do the math, at good price for what I get. And I do subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, ESPN+

Call me old fashioned. I don’t care. I am all set for the next two years. After that... I will deal with that in two years.

Cheers!

JandS, Mosscubed, MScottC and 4 others like this.
  2. justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I have to agree with you. I've priced out streaming services, and what I would need to get to replace my Comcast Xfinity, I'd be paying a lot more than I'm paying now. Plus I would MUCH, much rather DVR a show on my TiVo then find it on a streaming service WITH ADS that I have to sit thru. I simply don't understand it either. And I guess you have to call me old fashioned as well.

Noelmel, wizwor and thyname like this.
  3. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I think the main issue everyone has is it could be so much better. The boxes could be better. Each generation brought about more compromises and not enough improvements. Nobody asked for smaller oddly shaped plastic boxes with smaller drives more prone to failure and crappier tuner quality. Or ditching the ability to do cable and OTA. Or then one or the other. Or now just one and you have to get a different box to do the other. Or a lack of staying current with streaming apps. Or inserting ads, coming out with a new device that does nothing for its current base or attracts new dvr customers.

We all know how great it is for what it does and just get so frustrated at the direction they went in. And what makes it worse is there really isn't a better turnkey solution out there as is the basis for this thread. So the fact that it is the most complete solution, you just had to do a few basic things to get better and lock in customers and attract new ones.

I stick with them because you're not wrong. But now I have to beef up the antenna side. Why? I'm less than 10 miles from. The major array for all Philly stations with an antenna pointed right at it. And now my reception has become crap. Yet I could plug in an old roamio and no issues.

The Bolt should've been an updated roamio pro design keeping the larger drive and just beefing up the internals to handle 4k and more streaming. All boxes should've had the option for cable or OTA.

The Edge shouldn't have separate boxes for cable or OTA. The Edge should really be a dvr with the Stream 4k incorporated into it. And the Mini Vox should have the Stream 4k incorporated into it as well.

The ad fiasco should be non existent. And I'm fine not having a Tivo app. I don't want to navigate to apps all the time to watch TV. I just want to watch TV. It's why I like tivo. The way it aggregates everything could just be truly amazing if the Edge incorporated Android TV and they continued to add the major new streaming apps into its aggregated search.

So while I agree it's the best option for its purpose, it's the same f'ing purpose it serves when I first bought into the ecosystem. If I compare what I can do with my Bolt as opposed to my Toshiba SD-H400 from over 15yrs ago, it's just sad to see how little they've progressed compared to how far technology has advanced. Truly sad.

Time to go see if amplifying my signal can help my reception because the tuners in the Bolt suck. Seriously. Less than 10 miles away and line of site to the towers and nothing but pixelization and stutters on a few channels. I get to resort to illegally downloading broadcast shows because of it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:25 PM
  4. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    My TE3 Roamio Pro is perfection, as a DVR (I use other things to stream). If it ever becomes non-repairable I may just give up linear TV.

5. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    The only free tv comes in via an antenna. If you need inexpensive or free tv, put up an antenna.

That said, I think people fret too much over the cost of television. My sister spends $300 per month on Comcast. That includes television, high speed internet, and cell phone service. $10 per day. A lot of people spend that at Starbucks on their way to work.

Noelmel and thyname like this.
  6. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Try an Amazon Recast and use a basic antenna. Others may suggest other OTA options. But my Recast works fine. No advance features (but legal.) Rumor has it a 30 second ad skip coming with new firmware soon.

7. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Were you talking to me? I already have an Antenna on attic. See my signature. With all-paid-for Roamio OTA.

I do agree with you on the cost. Although I pay less than half of that all inclusive. So that makes it $5 a day? Yeah... who cares. And I would need the Internet part of it no matter what.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    During a past station repack affecting some of the major stations in my area, it was downright painful to be without the general use of my TiVo box until TiVo adjusted to the repack (seemingly waiting from the customers to tell TiVo about it, lol :(--nothing done proactively). It made me realize how dependent I've become on my TiVo DVRs for basic television viewing (and recording/playback (QuickMode: :up:)). I really fear the day when systems may no longer be possible.

thyname likes this.
  9. justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    While I agree the Edge should have been a combined OTA/cable, I'm going to say that it's my opinion, based on having a bunch of Tivos then ultimately a Roamio Pro and now an Edge, that the EDGE is the best DVR TiVo has ever made. Now keep in mind, I don't mind TE 4 (I actually think its a welcome upgrade having used TE3 for what, 10 years?), I haven't seen a pre-roll ad yet on my Edge (but did on my Mini VOX this morning).

I'm thinking that if I have hard drive issues with the Edge I'll just purchase one of those fancy Weaknees external kits. Those look pretty awesome.

thyname likes this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    For the frugal amongst us: that's $3,600 a year. I realize that this covers TV, internet, and cellphone service, but still, that ain't chicken feed (especially if you can do and are fine with OTA TV).
    I can't help but chortle (good-heartedly) at this, this feature--which TiVo users would see as basic--having been available on TiVo boxes now for, what, a couple of decades? ;)

Noelmel likes this.
  11. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Would you consider $900 a year ($2.50/day) for FiOS 100/100 internet, FiOS TV, and cell phone service chicken feed? :D

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Certainly, that's much nicer and more in my neighborhood. :)

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You're absolutely right on all counts. The ONLY reason I put up with the shortcomings of streaming is to save a few bucks. I've not had the kind of luck on cable deals many in this forum have reported. I can get close to a good deal, but the extra bogus fees always spoil it. Sadly nothing like FIOS is available in my market. And our local cable provider has a monopoly and can charge whatever they want. Consider yourself lucky to have some affordable options.

So, as a lifelong cheapskate with limited options, I have to go with streaming, advanced features be damned.

P.S., Don't put DirecTV NOW in the ground just yet. It just got a name change. Still alive and well (but grossly overpriced) as AT&T TV NOW.

slowbiscuit, osu1991 and thyname like this.
  14. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    No desire to switch systems or jump into Amazon's ecosystem. Turning on a TV and having to navigate to an app to watch live TV just makes no sense to me.

The other amp seemed to do the trick, at least for the 20 minutes I bounced through the few affected channels.

15. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I pay $40/mo for fios internet. Work pays for my phone, and since I manage it, they pay for a majority of my Netflix 4k. I don't watch enough TV to pay for cable. I use my mom's login for sports. She uses my Netflix and Amazon. The difference in yearly cost is two trips a year or saving to build a garage and extend my driveway, since traveling won't be a big thing for a bit.

I know my sister has cut back her cable quite a bit as my niece does more streaming than watching live TV.

And at that point, if I paid for everything on my own, internet, phone and streaming services, I'd still be under $130/mo. Maybe just over when the Disney promo runs out, but by then I'll playing Comcast and Fios off one another again, so who knows. Fios you can cancel and get a new account the same day so it's pretty much playing fios against itself and Comcast since everyone treats new customers like gold and old customers like ****. I don't even know if I'd keep Disney. Think I've used it twice since mandalorian finished. Just like CBS. Wait for Picard to finish, sign up for promo, binge it and cancel.

Noelmel likes this.
  16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    For the record, when I turn on my TV, Recast starts live tv automatically on the same channel I was watching when I turned it off.

wizwor likes this.
  17. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    That must be new or newish. I know it wasn't always that way. So when you turn on your TV (without a harmony or some other macro type setup), the fire TV device knows to open the recast app and tune to the channel you last watched?

18. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I'll be with Tivot as long as my two TE3 Bolt Vox boxes have cablecards that work and get all the channels I want. I also have Channels DVR server set up for recording higher quality OTA but that's mainly my backup DVR solution that gets used occasionally.

wbrightfl likes this.
  19. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I am the frugal among you. I have an antenna. I pay $52/month for high speed internet and $5/month for Prime (plus my kid's tuition, room, and board). Prime goes away when my kid graduates. My TiVos are 'all in'.

20. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I still love my Roamio on TE3, does pretty much everything I need it to.

wbrightfl, kpeters59 and unclehonkey like this.