"There are no TiVo DVRs available on the network."

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MidwestDrummer, Sep 24, 2007.

1. MidwestDrummer

MidwestDrummer BCS or Bust!

Apr 13, 2007
    Lincoln,...
    OK, please bear with me, as this may get kinda confusing.

My main internet connection is a Sprint wireless broadband connection card (yes, I get fantastic upload/download speeds on Sprint Rev. A network). That Sprint connection card is plugged into my laptop's PCMCIA card slot, so the internet comes directly into my laptop. However, I am typing this on my desktop computer. This is where you might get kinda confused, so I'll try to explain this the best I possibly can.

I have a Datel Wifi MAX USB adapter plugged into one of my USB ports on my laptop. What this adapter allows me to do, is turn my laptop into a wireless access point. It's basically the opposite of what a wireless card does. The internet connection comes into my laptop through my Sprint connection card, and with Windows internet connection sharing, it is then output through the Wifi Max USB adapter. Basically my laptop is able to act as a wireless router. Any computer within range of my laptop is able to detect a wireless network (I'm able to name it, but I also have it WEP protected).

My desktop is my main computer. I have a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter, which I use to connect to the internet. So, with the Linksys USB adapter, I am able to search for wireless networks within range. Doing so, I am able to connect to the internet by connecting to the network created through the Wifi MAX adapter. I'm sure that by this point you've been able to put two and two together. My desktop connects to the internet through my laptop's Wifi MAX adapter, which outputs the internet connection received through my Sprint connection card.

Hopefully you're still with me. This brings me to the problem I am experiencing. I have installed TiVo Desktop 2.5 on my desktop, and I was hoping to be able to transfer my recordings to my desktop. However, after I installed and ran the TiVo Desktop software, I got the following error message: "There are no TiVo DVRs available on the network." Now, I have my TiVo network set up already. I have the TiVo wireless adapter connected to my DVR, and the program guide updates through the Wifi MAX adapter's wireless network.

When I go to Server > TiVo Server Properties, under Network Identification, it lists the address of my Linksys USB adapter (the one my desktop uses to receive the internet) as the address my TiVo uses to access my computer.

Should the TiVo Desktop software be using the address of the Wifi MAX adapter? When I went to Server > TiVo Server Properties, the "Change" button is greyed out, so I don't know how I would go about changing the address my DVR would use.

I know, I just said a lot of things that probably have a lot of people very confused, but if anyone has any insight/information that might remedy my situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Zach

2. MidwestDrummer

Apr 13, 2007
    Lincoln,...
    Bump.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Everything sounds right ... what are the IP addresses of each node on the network? Do you have any firewall software on the desktop that might be blocking the TiVo from "seeing" the TiVo Desktop software?

4. MidwestDrummer

Apr 13, 2007
    Lincoln,...
    Each node? I guess I'm not quite sure what that is. Nope, I don't use any firewal software, nor do I use the Windows firewall.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    By node I meant each PC/TiVo.

So what're the IP addresses of:

- your laptop (the "gateway" and AP)
    - your PC (the server)
    - and your TiVo (the client)