The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (Parts 1 & 2) on HBO

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Apr 6, 2018 #1 of 17
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA

Advertisements

Wow this was good. Yes, it is long. It could have been edited down but then it would have lost a lot of its impact. This is so much more than just the success story of a comedian.

Be aware going into it that part 1 is just under 2 hours. Part 2 is almost 2 1/2 hours. To me it was worth every minute but YMMV.

There are a couple of scenes with Garry and Tom Petty laughing together. I had to pause the movie for a minute and just be sad that they both are gone.

Don't miss the tributes in the final scene.

2. Apr 6, 2018 #2 of 17
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I enjoyed it as well. I thought it was well done, and yes a little long. I agree about the Tom Petty scenes, which were sad. I never realized that they were friends. Still worth the watch.

3. Apr 6, 2018 #3 of 17
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    It was an engrossing 4.5 hours. Judd Apatow was up front about his reverence for Shandling, who was his mentor. But I think it was also obvious that the documentary was as honest and complete a portrayal he can do within the constraints of the format.

4. Apr 6, 2018 #4 of 17
    thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    have they ever released the original Larry sanders show completely? Last time I checked there were a few Best of DVD packages, but nothing comprehensive ...
    and - that show killed!

5. Apr 7, 2018 #5 of 17
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never watched his original show, but I loved The Larry Sanders Show. He had such a great supporting cast. Rip Torn was an absolute hoot as Artie. I looked around and found Garry's original show and downloaded all four seasons plus a ton of extras. Now I just have to find the time to watch them all.

I don't know about any official release, but it is available through magical means if you know where to look.

It's also available if you have HBO Go. I get HBO through my provider so I already have access to HBO Go. I have a lifetime license to PlayOn, which is a recording app used to record shows from any streaming service you're subscribed to.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  6. Apr 9, 2018 #6 of 17
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I did the opposite. I watch It's Garry Shandling's Show on Showtime and later Fox and thought it was fun and innovative and sort of a precursor to some of the comedy that was done later on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm). By the time Larry Sanders show appeared on HBO, I had dropped it, watched a few episodes on HBO at friends or family who had HBO, didn't think it was "all that" and it just wasn't enough for me to resub. But now my interest is whetted again and I'll take another look at it on HBO GO.

7. Apr 9, 2018 #7 of 17
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    For anyone interested, Garry's twitter account has been reactivated (@GarryShandling).

"Friends who love Garry, working with his estate, are opening up Garry's twitter. We will occasionally tweet material from the writings, notes and journals he has left us."​

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. Apr 9, 2018 #8 of 17
    thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Thus my point that I want a LEGAL copy and not a torrent from somewhere ...
    And a subscription to HBO is not in the cards

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    mattack likes this.
  9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    If you sub to HBO, then HBO Go is the way to do it legally. I know Amazon Prime had some HBO content as well, but not sure if that one is there. I would imagine, that HBO Now (which is a separate sub for those without HBO on cable/Sat/streaming service) might have it too.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I also enjoyed this piece. I guess I have never been a Shandling super fan, but I always rather liked him. I was compelled to watch this and am glad I did. It was fun and interesting.

I should go onto HBO GO and see about watching his Sanders series. I cannot even remember if I watched it at the time, but I'm game.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Hmm, it's SO long I guess I should try to record it and watch it in QuickMode. (I really wish these streaming options would let you watch faster than realtime!! for things like documentaries ESPECIALLY it is very useful..)

12. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm pretty sure HBO Go and HBO Now both offer the exact same content.

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Why not just consider this like binging a 4-part series of one hour episodes? You'd be done in one Sunday afternoon while your SO is at church or out shopping.

How long is the Superbowl or the Oscars?

Why wouldn't you want to watch it as it was intended (if you care at all about what goes into producing and editing a proper documentary). If you don't really care, and love the sound of The Chipmunks or the Benny Hill chase scenes, enjoy it the way you want. I plan to set aside the time to watch this, as I am a student of comedy and a fan of Shandling and Apatow et. al.

14. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just recorded the entire six seasons of The Larry Sanders Show using PlayOn and HBO Go. The resolution is pretty bad, but it's at least watchable. I had already seen the entire series when it originally aired, but I'd love to see it again.

Nobody is suggesting that you obtain anything illegally. I was just making the point that it is available using other means. I got HBO for free from Verizon by locking in a new 2-year contract. I got HBO Go as part of the package. Apparently the original series aired on Showtime and not network TV so maybe it's available from Showtime. I also get Showtime for free as part of an upgrade I made to my TV package a while back so I should be eligible for any programming they offer.

I just checked and apparently Showtime offers a service similar to HBO Go Called Showtime Anytime. I'm able to connect to it and record shows using the PlayOn app. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the original Garry Shandling show listed among the titles available for streaming.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Because I get just as much enjoyment out of it in less time, just like I do out of podcasts or reality shows watched/listened sped up.

If I could stand 'scripted' programs sped up, I'd probably watch them that way too! (SNL is the only one I routinely watch in Quick Mode, but I really have most of a couple seasons banked up, so I'm obviously not really 'watching' them. Watching in Quick Mode is instead of FFing through boring skits entirely.)

16. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'm slowly making my way though this doc, and have enjoyed every minute so far, despite the length.

this - rip torn was incredible, and i fell in love with janeane garolfalo's performance. it's probably my favorite jeffrey tambor performance, too.

if you enjoy the series as much as i did you won't regret it, i've watched each ep at least 3 times over the years, once when the series originally aired, and twice later on with repeats - it's about time to watch it again.

17. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    We watched it over 4 nights. Laughed out loud many times. Good memories of those old shows including The Tonight Show.