The Young and the Restless?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I think it's time to start a thread about my other favorite soap, The Young and the Restless.

Who else watches?

Someday, I'm going to figure out what qualifies an actor to be identified in the opening credits. Why is the actress playing Summer listed but not the actor playing Kyle?

Casting note: Shemar Moore, previously from Criminal Minds and now starring in S.W.A.T., will reprise his role as Neil Winter's brother (and Devon's uncle) next week (April 22-26) for a short while.

2. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I’ve been watching Y&R every day since 2001 and is the only soap I’ve ever watched. Looking forward to Adam returning soon, and will be very glad to see Mia go

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I’m watching this Netflix movie, “The Kissing Booth,” and the lead actress is unknown to me but looks strangely familiar. Turns out that she’s Joey King, the younger sister of Hunter King, who plays Summer on Y&R. Very strong resemblance.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Looks like they will not be recasting Neil Winters' role, after all. The April 29th episode will be a special tribute episode for Kristoff St. John.

I thought they would drag the Kyle-Summer-Lola triangle out for the entire spring and summer, but looks like they won't.

No GC Buzz coverage of the Society restaurant/nightclub opening? Did they not want to pay Camryn Grimes (Mariah) for the day?

5. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

if you have Hulu they have a new original called "The Act" and Joey King has en Emmy worthy lead performance in that miniseries.true story by the way, well worth watching

6. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
  7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Shemar Moore guest-stars on today’s (4/25) episode about Neil’s funeral.

8. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Wait, Malcolm is Lily’s biological father? Not Neil?

9. Jun 7, 2019 #9 of 54
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So, I just started watching Y&R--still trying to figure out who's who. I watch GH, so I recognize Robyn's husband and is that the girl who used to play the cop lady?

So Adam is back from the dead. What is Dark Horse? And the other business with the funny name that the rich guy runs?? And who signs a loan note that allows it to be passed on to someone else and to demand full payment at any moment?

Is Adam the one that kidnapped the girl? And is that the girl who hacked Dark Horse for him, or someone else? What is he going to do with her?

A soap is a soap, but when you're not familiar with it, it seems more soapy. :D

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Dark Horse is a real estate company that Nick secretly set up to steal business away from his father Victor's company, Newman Enterprises. There actually are loan notes like that if you need cash but don't want to go to the bank because your father will find out.

Yes, Devin's new lady used to play Valerie Spenser on GH.

Adam didn't kidnap Phyllis -- that's Kevin, who used to be a major character on the show before leaving last year. He is the lawyer Michael's brother and the briefly mentioned Chloe's husband. (BTW, Chloe was played by the actor who is currently D.A. Dawson on GH, and I'm guessing that her departure from GH means she'll be back here at least for a short while.) It was Billy and Chloe's daughter whom Adam killed in that car accident, and Chloe got her revenge by drugging Adam and locking him in a cabin that blew up. No body was ever found, so naturally Adam escaped -- but it's taken him a couple of years to return to the show. (At that time, Adam was played by Justin Hartley, who is now Kevin on "This Is Us." The actor now playing Adam is new.)

The kidnap victim is indeed Phyllis, who hacked Dark Horse. (BTW, the actor playing Phyllis will be replaced shortly by Michelle Stafford, who plays Nina on GH. So we're going to get someone new on GH for that role.) Kevin's wife, Chloe, is a fugitive from justice (from blowing Adam up in the cabin), and Victor arranged with Kevin to hide Chloe far away from Genoa City. Judging from the teaser at the end of today's episode, Kevin is going to meet with Adam, and I'm guessing he's going to use Phyllis as a bargaining chip for... something. Money? A promise to leave Chloe alone, even though she tried to kill Adam? We'll find out.

stellie93 likes this.
  11. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    I like the guy they call Chief--cute. First time I've seen him--is he chief of police?

The old lady in the nursing home is so sweet--heartbreaking.

12. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, he's Paul Williams, the Chief of Police. He's married to Christine (who shows up occasionally), who is the D.A. They are constantly trying to get Victor convicted for his many crimes. Every once in a while, they succeed.

Paul had an affair with Nikki, and they had a son, Dylan -- who was played by Steve Burton, who left Y&R to rejoin GH as Jason Morgan.

I can't remember which show started its Alzheimer's storyline first -- Y&R with Jack's mother, Dina, or GH with Sonny's father, Mike. Excellent work by both actors.

stellie93 likes this.
  13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Michelle Stafford showed up as Phyllis at the very end of today's episode. So that's it for Gina Tognoni.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  14. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    "Only one person should be allowed to come back from the dead at a time." LOL I was thinking on friday that I must be confused when they said someone else was back from the dead. This is a true soap. I'm beginning to catch on a little. :up:

15. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I used to be an avid soap opera viewer (mostly the ABC shows, but also did Y&R). I was never surprised when I would dream that my mom was back from the dead. It seemed perfectly logical and normal! o_O

stellie93 likes this.
  16. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm really not buying this romance between Tracy and Cane.

I'm also not buying Michelle Stafford's portrayal as Phyllis. She doesn't seem to have the ability to look angry to the point of homicidal, which Gina Tognoni did very well.

Hello, Chloe! Goodbye, Chloe! (I'm guessing Elizabeth Hendrickson didn't get picked up after leaving General Hospital.)

And hello, Chelsea! The actress who plays her was on The Talk recently, along with Stafford and the actor playing Adam, and indications there were that Chelsea may be sticking around longer than Chloe.

I started watching Y&R when Justin Hartley was playing Adam, and he didn't seem sociopathic or homicidal at all, but merely in a complicated relationship with Victor. He was happy with Chelsea and Connor.

17. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    I wasn't really buying the new Phyllis, but I thought it was because I only knew her from GH. Also glad to see the other girl from GH, but she seems to be on her way out of town.

What is the deal with the old woman who's writing books and the really cute young guy? I assume she's rich since she's from that family, or is he after something else? The woman is nice, but come on....

Adam seems to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

18. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    That old woman is Tracy Abbott, who apparently is a successful novelist even though her newest book would be genre fiction that went out with the Forties. She’s fallen for Cane hard, which is ridiculous. I don’t think Cane realizes it, but he’s vulnerable because Lily left him. No ulterior motive there.

stellie93 likes this.
  19. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Why does Melissa Claire Egan, who plays Chelsea, immediately appear in the opening credits, while Michelle Stafford, who plays Phyllis, still isn’t there?

20. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Lots of Hillary flashbacks today.