The Wire, "React Quotes" OAD 2/3/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Joeg180, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1 of 50
    Joeg180

Joeg180 Burning Daylight

Jun 1, 2003
    Niskayuna

Advertisements

Omar needs more guns and ammo.

Marlo not the brightest bulb in the pack.

McNulty's expression and lies at the newspaper priceless.

2. Feb 4, 2008 #2 of 50
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    How the heck did Omar survive the jump? Will certainly add to his legend I bet.

I don't know about Marlo being 'not the brightest bulb' given where he has come from and what he's put together so far. To me, he's just now learning an area where he has been pretty clueless prior and is acclimating quickly. From supply to money to legal, he's coming into his own but still has a ton of street left in him. The cell phone being used as a data transfer mechanism instead of him talking should be an interesting twist, I wonder if they will figure that out and tap the data stream.

The "fake" reporting versus the "fake" crimes w/McNulty and the newspaper guy is great, I agree. Both of their expressions in that scene were priceless.

3. Feb 4, 2008 #3 of 50
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Loved Lester's 'wrong number' call to Marlo :p

Wonder what happened to Omar. That was a long way down :eek:

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" :D

4. Feb 4, 2008 #4 of 50
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think he's regressing. Before, he had a set of rules that he learned from Prop Joe (e.g., never use a cell phone). He didn't do it because it was smart, he did it because it was the rule. Now, the lawyer has told him that he can use a cell phone under certain circumstances, so he's started to think about when to use it and when not to. And he's already making VERY stupid choices.

He is NOT a man who is any good at all at thinking for himself. And everybody around him (the cops, the lawyer) know this, and are chomping at the bit to take advantage of it (the cops bringing him down, and the lawyer getting paid for all the time he's going to spend defending him).

5. Feb 4, 2008 #5 of 50
    pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA

Advertisements

hmm, don't know if i see it that way.

the cell phone use was from the Greek, and he's not using it for anything 'work related', but through the special way to communicate that he showed him (and which Lester said "WTF" at the end)

he's been very smart about going after Omar the right way, and should have removed that problem / issue had Omar not been able to fly :)

he took out Prop Joe and now rules that Co-op. he has the supply and the flow and has absolutely no one, sans Omar, that can even remotely challenge him.

he has attained legal representation, has diversified his money and is looking to build the empire.

to me, he seems very shrewed and very much in control and not making many mistakes at all just yet.

i'm sure that will change, maybe you are right and he's regressing such that the cops will be able to pick up something, but so far I don't see anything but Marlo taking over and kicking ass.

6. Feb 4, 2008 #6 of 50
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I watched this episode last week, so I'm digging into the memory banks for these reactions... This episode bothered me. I don't like McNulty's plan but I could live with that. The reporter making up his own call from the serial killer was too far fetched. I can see lying about a meaningless quote from a kid at a baseball game. I cannot see inventing a conversation with a serial killer, unless I interpreted that scene incorrectly. There's no way Omar could have walked away from that fall (and dodged those bullets). What's he, a superhero now?

Was Clay Davis' "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiittt" his longest one on record? He's a state senator, right? What's Nerise, City Council President or something? I know he's in a lot of trouble but there's no way he lets her talk to him like that. He's much higher on the totem pole than her.

7. Feb 4, 2008 #7 of 50
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I was thinking the tree largely slowed and broke his fall. But even at that it was a HUGE stretch.

8. Feb 4, 2008 #8 of 50
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I can't see how anyone can think Marlo is anything but remarkably bright (if perhaps uneducated). I spent all show wondering what was different about the phone :)

I thought McNulty made a mistake by saying the police got a call, since the reporter knows his call was fake it seemed to be too risky. That storyline is getting a bit out of control but I trust that it's going somewhere.

Only a few eps left. I wonder how much of the Cutty, Bubs, Dukey etc. story will merge back into the main threads (if at all).

9. Feb 4, 2008 #9 of 50
    Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    :confused:
    Steve Glass?
    Jayson Blair?
    Janet Cooke?
    etc etc

"Far-fetched?"

10. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Last season someone mentioned the similarities between Michael, Dukey, Randy, etc. along with Avon, Stringer, and some others. I'm wondering if they weren't on to something. Like Omar taking out Marlo and Micheal taking over with Dukey in the background. Unfortunately I'm afraid Michael will end up taking out Omar. :(

11. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Speaking of which.

Spoilers from next weeks highlights

Randy's back !!!! I really hope we see Bunny at some point (once he gets out of that Panamanian prison :)

12. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I agree that the newpaper conference room facial expressions were priceless! McNulty gave a split second half smile when he finally realized that the reporter was making the story up (rather than a mere crank call). However, shouldn't he be more worried because then he knew that the reporter would also figure out that McNulty's "the police got a call too from the serial killer" story was a lie, too? My head hurts. Or maybe he's just trusting in honor among thieves....

One thing is bugging me though. Can someone explain to me in Big Bird language how they got the wire authorization on Marlo's cell phone? The wire is for the serial killer, and we were only told that he used pay phones in a certain neighborhood. How did we make the jump to get the serial killer's (which, of course, is actually Marlo's) cell phone number?!

13. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    I don't think the reporter knows McNulty is lying at all, I think he was shocked that another call had come in and he had struck on a # as a freak conincidence. He doesn't strike me as that smart of a guy really.

The wire was switched by Lester, they can't use anything they get from it, as they said.

14. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    They set up two trackers.

The one tied to the pay phone (to track the "serial killer") isn't "plugged in". The cop (who's not "in" on the plan) watching it all night will NEVER hear a thing.

But they used the order to set up the "real" one to track Marlo's cell phone. Any info Lester learns from that they won't officially put on paper. He'll just use that info to get other info and use THAT info to catch him.

15. pex

pex Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I understand that, but how did they get Marlo's cell phone number on the court order for the "serial killer?" The DA read out Marlo's number aloud in one of the final scenes in police headquarters. Is this something Lester substituted with the DA, give them Marlo's number, and say that it is the pay phone number?

16. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Marlo gave the number to his lawyer, who put it in his rolodex. Herc saw that, went back and copied the number, gave it to Carver, who gave it to Freamon.

Two things worth pointing out: Herc can't remember a 9 digit phone number that he must have overheard Marlo give the lawyer (or else, who did he know to look for something in the rolodex?). I think Marlo made a point out of giving out the number infront of Herc, because he wants the police to waste their time wiretapping the new cell.

17. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm still confused about McNulty's end game: Does he want to somehow tie the serial killer murders back to Marlo via Partlow? Wasn't he involved in one of the murders?

Or is the goal to gradually keep authorizing extra manpower and overtime, until that can be redirected (officially or unofficially) to the unsolved murders that Partlow and Snoop committed for Marlo?

18. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
  19. deli99

deli99 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    The second one.

20. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    I don't think McNulty completely knows Templeton is lying either. He smiled because he saw an in to get his wire tap.