TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Wire is in HD and Widescreen on Amazon Prime Streaming

45K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  Rob Helmerichs 
#1 ·
Just noticed that The Wire plays in 16:9 when viewed on Amazon's Prime Instant Streaming service.

I assumed that this was Amazon matting the original 4:3 frame, but to be sure I started S01E01 from the DVD on my TV, and the same episode from Amazon on my phone.

Amazon's image isn't cutting off anything from the top and bottom of the image - it's actually a true widescreen frame with more image on the left and right.

Also, Amazon's picture quality is better than the old DVDs (YMMV depending on bandwidth, I guess).

I skipped ahead a few seasons on Amazon and they look to be 16:9 the whole way through. Time for another rewatch!

#6 ·
The show was probably shot on widescreen film, but framed for 4:3. So, there could be stuff that you see on the sides that you weren't meant to see.

Buffy was like this. I remember a scene where you could see an arm shaking this vine that the actors where trying to get thru. You couldn't see that arm in the 4:3 version because it was outside of the frame.

I've never seen The Wire, but have always meant to. Maybe I'll finally break down and watch it.

#7 ·
This 16:9/HD version aired on DirecTV's Channel 101/Audience Network a couple years ago, so Amazon wasn't responsible for it -- they must have just gotten their hands on the same "remastered" version that DirecTV used.
I remember when that aired, but I thought the consensus was that DirecTV was actually matting the 4:3 frame and you were losing image.

EDIT: Here's the old thread about it. No one really reached a final verdict except for some anecdotal comments saying that heads look chopped off in some shots.

#8 ·
As someone who was just about to start watching the show for the first time, I'm now confused about which version I should stream. I did a quick Google search, and I came up with this article that gives some insight into the situation:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

It appears that the show was indeed framed for 16x9, but it was only ever intended to be shown in 4x3.

#12 ·
It could be, if they have the original film. Which I assume they do...
While if that were the case it could be, it's not, unless Amazon made a mistake labeling the show. If it were HD, there would be an HD banner across the bottom of the show icon.

And I couldn't find any source, legal or not, that had HD digital copies of the show. But I don't have the most obvious source, HBO Go, so I don't know if they are or not.

#14 ·
There is no doubt whatsoever that there COULD be an HD version (the series was shot on film; film is higher def than HD); the only question is whether they did the work of going back to the film and rescanning it to HD.

Somebody upthread says they saw an HD version of it. That could have been upconverted from the SD version, or it could be true HD scanned from the original film.

#15 ·
There is no doubt whatsoever that there COULD be an HD version (the series was shot on film; film is higher def than HD); the only question is whether they did the work of going back to the film and rescanning it to HD.

Somebody upthread says they saw an HD version of it. That could have been upconverted from the SD version, or it could be true HD scanned from the original film.
Articles in this thread seem to indicate that they did some upconverting and it looks better than a typical consumer-TV-driven upconvert.

#18 ·
NEVERMIND! It's only the first 2 seasons, although I SWEAR I wasn't tired enough this morning to not notice that seasons 3-5 were 4:3 when I checked them, but I must have been. :eek:
They stopped framing for 16x9 after the first three seasons once they decided to keep the show 4x3 for the entire run. They framed the initial seasons to future proof just in case. The producers intention is for the show to be in 4x3.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.