The West Wing - 03/19 - 7.14 "Two Weeks Out"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by edc, Mar 19, 2006.

1. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston

Advertisements

To those complaining, this episode is all about Arnold Vinick looking good.

2. Animgif

Animgif Stud, Esquire

Jan 4, 2002
    The City So...
    He looked very good in this episode. Played the nuclear card 150% correctly while subsequently shutting Santos out of Cali. Very nice, well done.

3. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    They obviously intended for this to be a VERY close race, probably a mirror of Bush/Gore.

Hopefully the DVDs will fill us in on how cancellation and John Spencer's death affected the storyline.

4. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    This was a great episode. I wish WW could have been like this before and not been cancelled. I almost removed the Season Pass, now I'm going to miss it when it's gone. :(

tk

5. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

Advertisements

Kinda sad when they mentioned that the notes showed that Santos thought Leo was a poor campaigner. :(

And ... do you believe Santos?

And ... does anyone get fired for forgetting the briefcase?

6. Animgif

Animgif Stud, Esquire

Jan 4, 2002
    The City So...
    Yeah, and very sad when they talk about (season spoiler)

his death in the previews for the rest of the season, when CJ says "Turn on the TV and they handed the POTUS the note

Yes

I hope not, I like both of the guys who would go down for it

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    A quote out of context is always an amusing thing! :p

Haven't we seen Santos' brother already, when Santos returned home to Texas? I recall something about the brother in a prior episode. Anyway, I believe Santos is telling the truth.

Regarding how the show will handle John Spencer's death, was anyone else turned off by the voice-over during the coming attractions?
    The announcer starts off all peppy, and then his voice drops an octave to breathlessly whisper this dramatic bit:
    I'm guessing the "event" is the discovery of Leo on election night, so it becomes "historical" for a candidate to die during the final hours of the campaign. I guess I just don't like the idea they are marketing this as an "event".

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Whomever it was complaining about TWW writers constantly protraying Republicans as "evil" might as well not bother calling The Leg Warehouse. They won't find anything there to stand on anymore. :D

Since they're getting canceled anyway, maybe they'll let Vinnick win as a kind of "Blake's 7" ending. ;)

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That really only works when the guy (or gal) you're quoting out of context would suffer embarassment by taking such a quote in the unintended context. ;)

10. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    This is a guess by me, and I know nothing that will actually happen in the show, but my educated guess is...

Electoral tie!!, series ends!

-smak-

11. iceturkee

iceturkee Member

May 26, 2005
    i like that ending.

brilliant, brilliant episode. do we think josh has sunk to an alltime low when he's taking phone calls from the mysterious ``bob'' (toby)?

if laura innes isn't nominated for an emmy for directing this episode, there is no justice in this world. it was tense, it was humorous, and, for once, i enjoyed a campaign episode!!

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Technical question:

The scene where Vinnick is telling Stephen Root to go ask Santos for a sitdown, Vinnick is on the left up in the foreground and Root is on the right and waaaaay in the background, but they are both in focus at the same time. I've seen this particular composition a number of times in a number of different movies and TV shows. Anybody know how it's done? Is it two different shots spliced together?

The shot of Vinnick and Santos in the storeroom where just Santos' half of the screen is shot through a cage in the forground was very reminicent of the same shot they would often use to great effect in NYPD Blue in scenes in the "pokey" interrogation room. Deliberate homage to Smits' old show perhaps?

13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    It's all in the lens opening. This may help: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/htmls/depth.html

14. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    The real trick to doing that is to use a longer lens which has a greater range of depth at a given F-stop. Of course, these days using digital, you can just composite the shot in post so you probably don't have to make the effort to do it inside the camera like they used to.

15. iceturkee

iceturkee Member

May 26, 2005
    i forgot to add that i also recall an episode last season where santos tells josh about his deadbeat brother.

16. BetterYeti

BetterYeti Looks like chicken.

Aug 24, 2004
    For some reason I still can't figure out, my Tivo dropped the last 5-10 minutes. Can anyone fill me in on the Santos-Vinnick meeting?

17. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Vinnick gave back the briefcase and promised that they weren't going to use anything they found, but said that Santos should come clean now about the checks, because the country couldn't afford a scandal and crisis with the new president (what with the situation in Kashmir).

Santos explained that it was actually his deadbeat brother's kid, but that because the brother skipped out Santos was paying the child support (with his wife's knowledge). And he wasn't paying it through the brother because Santos couldn't trust his brother to actually pass the money along.

18. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    That might've been the case if the series got another year, but I can definitively say the series ends with a new President in place.

19. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Yes, and I think Vinnick does too. I think Santos misread Vinnick's response as a look of disbelief; I think in fact it was a look of embarassment at having doubted Santos's integrity in the heat of the campaign. Well played by Alan Alda to give it that ambiguity.

20. BetterYeti

BetterYeti Looks like chicken.

Aug 24, 2004
    Thanks, Jon S