The Weakest Link - Jane Lynch - 9/29/2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Sep 30, 2020.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Tuned in with family and watched it last night as it premiered for 2020 (and who knows for how long going forward).

Gameplay was as I remembered, though I don't think it was as good as when it previously aired. While Jane Lynch wasn't bad, she wasn't Anne Robinson who I happen to think was pretty much perfect for the job (or performed the job perfectly when she was the host).

I suspect I'll lose interest in it again too quickly, though if nothing else is on, it can entertain for a bit.

2. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Oh, on the gameplay as I remembered it, it amazes me still to watch shows like this (and America Says and other similar shows) where contestants completely and totally freeze and lose long periods of times because they can't even toss out a wrong answer to do the equivalent of a "pass" so that the team can recover and get a chance at another question.

If you haven't practiced and can't do that, you really hurt your team and your chances at taking home prize$. At least with Weakest Link the team has the opportunity to correct that by voting off someone that cost the team along the way. With America Says or other shows similar it just becomes a case of a blown opportunity and embarrassment when your episode shows up on the TV.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was entertaining, and that Jane Lynch did a great job. Still fun one-liners as they are about to vote.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't do anything to change it up. The game seemed exactly as it was.

I'll keep watching. It's nice to have a trivia game that really asks a lot of questions. So many of these newer-ish gameshows are like one question every few minutes.

jeetkunedo and ThePennyDropped like this.
  4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I remember watching the old one with Anne Robinson a few times. It was so long I don't even remember how the gameplay works. As mentioned, if there is nothing else on worth watching...

I think it will be decent to have on in the background while I'm on my computer. I think I can listen as oppose to watch. I do like Jane Lynch.

5. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006

Advertisements

I liked it. I got it free on nbc.com, but you had to pay for it on Peacock. I thought NBC stuff would be available at least for a week or so on there.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for fast moving trivia shows. That was always the problem with WWTBAM, it moves. So. Slow. ly.

I thought the final two questions were very different from a difficulty standpoint. The Isles of Longhorns is much tougher than SCUBA. Hated to see Jay lose on that one.

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.
  7. Oct 1, 2020 #7 of 17
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think the Isle of Longhorns is in Texas. Maybe Galveston?

I liked it. I love Jane Lynch as a host. She isn’t as cold as Anne Robinson was but she can be hilariously snarky.

As for toughness of the final questions. Meh. SCUBA can be figured out if you don’t know it but it also is more likely to lead to a mistake because it is a long and specific answer.

8. Oct 1, 2020 #8 of 17
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    When I heard this was coming back, I thought Jane Lynch has to be host.
    She does smart ass remarks in everything she has ever been, better than anyone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

9. Oct 1, 2020 #9 of 17
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Having missed the episode, I was a little confused when I couldn't find "Isles of Longhorns" anywhere. I assume she asked something about the Islets of Langerhans. (I would have known they were in the body, but not specifically where.)

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    You needed to know exactly where in the body they were.

With my Texas drawl, I just assumed everyone calls 'em the Isles of Longhorns.o_O

Agree on Jane Lynch. Superbly perfect snark. With just a touch of warmth when needed, which Anne Robinson didn't have.

11. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah thought it was pretty good, as others said it's nice to have rapid fire questions, basically on par with jeopardy (just generally more easy) :)

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah. Rapid and a bit easier because the game is a mix of jeopardy (so much so I answered the first question as a question), a money strategy game and survivor (the tribe has spoken).

stellie93 likes this.
  13. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I never give the answer as a question when watching Jeopardy at home, and I didn't here either, but then when they didn't it sounded funny. ;)

14. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Anne did the BBC version and Jane is doing the USA version.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I didn't remember how the last round worked. A bit too many pauses, esp in the last round.. but still an entertaining show. I liked the syndicated version too. Yes, I think Anne was the best (guess I should check imdv to see if she's still alive), but it really is the format more than the host that is good.

16. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    From what I was reading, she retired from the show, but had a decent run.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, Anne did both a BBC and American version.