The Walking Dead Seson 2 premiere that might have been...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 18
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  2. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Didn't he leave during filming of season 2, not before? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

3. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Read that on AICN -- I think that would have been a great season premiere.

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Meh....maybe, maybe not. After reading the article I'm not sold that it would have been that great. Sure it would have filled in some relationship holes, but that's about it...

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I would find it interesting but a lot of people scream about stand alone episodes that don't advance the main story.

6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah would be a really cool "mini movie" but really wouldn't do much for the overall story.

7. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    Would have made a good webisode, but I wouldn't want to see them wasting significant broadcast time on a character who really isn't vital to the main story line.

8. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    F the main story line. How many episodes do you want of Dale acting like a father to some girl who doesn't want it? Shane going off the wire. blah blah...
    Give me an interesting story of Black Hawk Down soldiers and how things went from bad to worse. Sprinkle in a little connection to the current characters and bam, entertainment.

Something this season has lacked a TON! GET OFF THE DAMN FARM!

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Sounds awesome to me. The show as it is now wastes an awful lot of time not really advancing the story, so I don't see the problem with this idea.

10. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    Having read the entire comic series, I know where this series *could* go -- so believe me, I'm hoping they get off the farm, too. Trust me, we don't want them taking unnecessary side trips into studies of meaningless characters -- our main group has a long way to go and plenty of story to satisfy.

11. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Sometimes to advance the story they need to explain the past. Showing the Shelters being over taken and the army unable to stop it would be a nice addition to the overall story even if it didn't specifically deal with the main cast of characters.

12. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I think this would have been really cool. The book World War Z is essentially a collection of different stories about a zombie apocalypse. Taken together these stories give you a good feel for what happened. Darabont's prequel idea reminds me a bit of that. A different perspective on things that is only loosely connected to the characters, but adds to our understanding of the history of the zombie epidemic.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's my recollection as well. I think it's going to be the second half of S2 that was created without Darabont's involvement.

I think the proposed episode would have been very cool. Not sure it would have satisfied people as the S2 premier, since many people would have been pissed we didn't find out what happened to the main characters, but I'd definitely like to see some kind of backstory of what happened during the beginning of the apocalypse before Rick woke up from his coma.

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I wouldn't rule out more backstory through the end of S2...

15. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    Just speculation based upon comic vs. TV show, but I'll spoiler it anyway:

If this is going to follow Kirkman's narrative, don't expect much in the way of "history".

We did see some of that.

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I remember the flashback where Shane told Lori and her son that Rick had been shot and another where Shane and Lori were stuck on a freeway and met the Sophia's mom and her hubby. But I don't recall anything that would give us any additional insight on what happened or how the authorities responded to it.

17. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    Didn't we see a scene where during the chaos at the hospital, Shane narrowly escapes from Rick's room and leaves a gurney in front of the door?

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Ah yes, there was that scene as well. So they have given us a little, but I'd like to see more of that. I'm sure I'm not alone.