The Walking Dead S09E09 "Adaptation" 2/10/2019 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Feb 13, 2019.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, it's Wednesday and no thread for the most recent episode. This show has really fallen off a cliff, both quality-wise and viewership-wise.

Anyway, lots of ridiculousness in this episode. Negan somehow gets out of his cell, wanders around Alexandria all night, nobody sees him, then when it's light in the morning, he tries to climb over the wall and Judith is there pointing a gun at him. Yet still not another single person from Alexandria is aware that Negan is out. Are we to understand that Alexandria's security is handled entirely by a 12 year-old girl?

Daryl is smart - shooting the Whisperers in the leg.

Daryl is smart - using Henry as an inadvertent "good cop" so he can sit outside the jail and listen to his conversation with the girl.

Rosita is pregnant, apparantly it's Siddiq's.

Negan decides he'd rather be back in the cell in Alexandria than free but alone.

Discuss.

2. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    If Henry is an inadvertent good cop, he's going to inadvertently share information he shouldn't, which will be a problem when the girl inevitably escapes.

She said something like "it's not that", which I initially took to mean that she was not pregnant! Obviously I was wrong, but what was she talking about?

And to have that conversation outside of Eugene's window seemed like some very sloppy writing. These characters aren't supposed to be stupid!

3. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Also, I think those three dogs should have been able to easily take down that walker. They might have gotten poisoned in the process, I guess, but the walker would have been shredded to pieces.

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I’m glad he heard it though. She isn’t interested in him and he needs to move on. It is sickening.

I agree that Daryl is smart and the only one Michonne can trust to leave with Hilltop and that girl. Too bad she didn’t have anyone in Alexandria to keep Negan in check. Gabriel was sloppy and didn’t lock up but there should have been others to secure a mass murderer. I FF'd through the Negan scenes even though I lust after love the actor. Negan needs to go.

I like the actress but I’m getting really tired of Judith. I’m hoping the other kid is playing "good cop" or I’ll be sick of him too.

Other than that, I like the show and happy to see new cast members. I’m not missing the old members. Okay, maybe Rick but I’m glad the actor is getting more time with his family. I’m not thrilled about the way the Maggie character disappeared but still loving Carol, Jerry, and the King.

5. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally agree. Henry is a bumbling fool and he's going to screw things up for sure, probably by actively allowing Lydia to escape.

That's not sloppy writing. It was intentional writing so Eugene would overhear it and result in some emotional overreaction by him. But I agree it was sloppy of the characters. However, the characters act in service of the plot, and in this case the plot required Eugene to overhear that conversation so he can react.

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Speaking of the dogs, how is it that we're a decade into the Zombie Apocalypse and this is one of the only times we've seen any dogs on the show? I'd think that with very few humans around to manage the dogs, there would be thousands of wild dogs all over the place.

7. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Ok, lazy writing. Yes, Eugene presumably needs to find out, but couldn't the writers find a way to achieve that without having Siddiq and Rosita do something out of character?

8. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    It is ridiculous that they let Judith roam the countryside all alone. While she may have the ability to get away from the Walkers (Coral thought so too when Rick was sick and almost got bit), any adult that wanted to harm her could easily do so.

They did learn Negan had escaped, they just didn't show us. When Judith shot at Negan on the motorcycle she said they were all out looking for him.

9. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Dogs are zombie food.

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think with the introduction of the Whisperers, I feel like it "might" be getting better.

They should have cut EVERYTHING with Negan. Talk about a waste of TV time. That the producers/writers think anyone wants to sit through 30% of an episode of him basically wandering around aimlessly - - - Who cares?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The sad thing is, in the comics this is just when Negan started getting interesting, because of his evolving relationship with Rick (no six-year jump there!). Obviously, that's off the table here, and they don't seem to be replacing it with anything. At least, not yet...

12. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Ahh. So there is hope with Negan. Good to know that they aren’t just keeping the actor around as eye candy.

13. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    By the way, as I watching watching that boring Negan stuff, I did totally recognize that Negan was puking in the same clearing where he killed Abraham and Glenn. And it was confirmed as an "Easter Egg" in Talking Dead.

14. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Actually, dogs would be a zombie alert system.

-smak-

15. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    They could alert humans to nearby zombies, or alert zombies that tasty morsels are nearby. Dogs would need to be well trained to be of use rather than a detriment.

In an apocalypse, I would think the biggest issue with dogs would be them running in feral packs, just trying to survive.

16. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    If you're able to share, how exactly did that evolve in the comic books? (may need to spoil response)

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, for one thing it was only a two-year jump, and while Negan is imprisoned he begins to develop a relationship first with Carl (still alive in the comics) and then with Rick (at one point, somebody doesn't properly latch his cell, and he doesn't escape as a sign of good faith). Later, he is freed by a rebel who wants to use him against Rick, but Negan kills the rebel and then...well, let's just say he is instrumental in ending the Whisperer threat.

Mind you, he is still Negan. But he's basically trying to use his powers for good instead of evil, or at least good as he understood it.
    (Sorry about the wrong tag...hope nobody who didn't want to see it saw it!)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Beryl and Crobinzine like this.
  18. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Thanks Rob! That sounds like an interesting development in the books. Maybe someday I'll read them. :)

19. Steve-O

Steve-O Member

Jul 1, 2011
    It brought to mind that part of A Hard Day's Night when Ringo goes for a walk away from the TV studio and the soundtrack is playing the Muzak version of "This Boy." It would have totally appropriate with Negan's walk.

20. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Ha! Thanks for sharing that. They can and frequently switch it up.