The Walking Dead - S07E02 "The Well" 10/30/2016 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Oct 31, 2016.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

As I suspected, we didn't get any closure on the Rick/Negan/Alexandria/Saviors story tonight. Instead, we got introduced to The Kingdom and King Ezekiel. Seems basically like what Deanna was hoping to turn Alexandria into, but with a bit of a medieval flair.

I liked that the Kingdom people were trying to poison the Saviors with tainted pigs. Wonder if anything will come of that.

I also liked the conversation between Carol and Ezekiel. He saw through her act like nobody at Alexandria ever did, and he called her on it. And it seems he understands that she needs some solitude and to feel like she's on her own, but that she can accomplish that without wandering out into the woods by herself to surely die.

I suspect most will be annoyed with this episode simply because it didn't advance the story they were hoping to see, but I kind of liked it because it showed a realistic example of how people could band together and create a society in the apocalypse without having everything turn to violence and death like it does when Rick and crew are around.

sharkster likes this.
  2. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Pretty much loved this episode. Such a nice relatively calm counterpoint from last week's gore fest. Ezekiel was spot on. From zookeeper to king in one apocalypse!

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was perplexed during the first part of the episode - but I LOVED Carol's reaction to meeting Ezekiel - "are you shitting me?" LOL

He and they totally won me over in the last scene by his admittance he knew it was ridiculous.

bmunroe likes this.
  4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Totally enjoyed this episode. Carol remains my favorite character and Ezekiel is now on my favorite list.

Hope the "tainted meat" attempt doesn't backfire on them. Also, I'm wondering if the Saviors were referencing the kid when they said someone would be sacrificed if their next payment was light.

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...

Advertisements

Thought they were referring to the guy that took a swing at the other guy

I like the episode for sure

6. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought the episode was OK but Carol was way too over the top to be believable even with Ezekiel being so over the top.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Agreed. The ending made me feel a little better about the episode. Although, I hate the whole tiger thing. I know it's from the comics, but it is so dumb. They shoulda left that out or go with a hairless cat...LOL!

8. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    At first I thought the whole King Ezekiel, ren faire thing was a hallucination by Carol or something. I thought it was an ok episode. The thing that made it most interesting was that this group is beholden to Neegan (those are Neegan's people right?) as well, so that opens some possibilities. I hope that pork from those pigs doesn't somehow make its way to Alexandria, but Neegan doesn't seem to give any food, he just seems to take.

9. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I enjoyed the episode and loved the interaction between Carol and Ezekiel. Glad to see something besides head smashing. The episode ended with me smiling. Very odd feeling!

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Yeah, I was unsure about Ezekiel until that final scene between him and Carol. Really well done and made him seem like a far more than a the caricature he was in the first half of the episode.

11. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I too, believe that he was referring to the guy he was fighting with.

12. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That is what I thought at first. However, subsequent scenes showed how much the kid was valued by Ezekiel and I remembered how they killed a kid at the Hilltop to punish that group.

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    This episode made sense of Negan's line from last week: "I'm not growin' a garden ..."

I love that the tiger is a SFX ... which cancels out last week's speculation that they didn't cut off Carl's arm because of the cost of the SFX. Remember Herschel's leg? And every walker kill is a SFX! Pffft! ;)

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I enjoyed this episode, but I felt like I was watching a tv version of the Xbox game Sunset Overdrive - the section with LARPers. There was even a musical interlude!

15. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    My suspicion: the "raid that went bad" where the kid's dad was killed, wasn't actually a zombie raid. I'm thinking that was Negan taking over the Kingdom and the kid's dad is one of the ones Negan murdered in that process. Ezekiel being more careful now just means he's paying tribute to the Negan. He doesn't want the kid to know, so he doesn't do something stupid.

I seriously doubt the pigs will hurt the Saviors. Everyone is already infected and unless they actually eat the undigested contents of the stomach somehow (ewww!) it won't make them sick I don't think. But it is pretty gross, and a good FU.

Tivogre likes this.
  16. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    What was the significance of Morgan putting the flag up on the mailbox? At first I thought he had engraved a "sign for Rick" onto the post, but then at the end of the ep, he put the flag down again.

17. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think it was a sign for Rick. I guess putting the flag up was not needed anymore since Carol was living in the house.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That's what I thought, too. Probably no flags up on mailboxes at this point, so a flag up would be for the purpose of attracting one of his people to that location. I didn't see exactly what he carved in the post, though.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The carving in the post reminded me of the Mad Men episode, "The Hobo Code" where we learn, through a flashback, about how hobos would carve certain symbols in front of houses to indicate to other hobos whether the people in that house were likely to provide help.

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, her "performance" was just vomit inducing. She could have played it so much less OBVIOUS that she was trying to kiss his ass... she probably could have fooled him.

I've been hate-watching TWD for 3 seasons now, but I really liked this episode. It's the only episode in recent history where I thought "yeah, this is almost believable how a small community could survive in a zombie apocalypse". I really like how Ezekiel was real, totally believable, and not a comic book character like Neegan.

And about that tiger...

The blatantly obvious C-G-I tiger in this episode was almost "clip art". It was just bit too big for a tiger. Also, it didn't really interact with the people on-screen, it was like the producers farmed out the 20 seconds or so of C-G-I and just rotoscoped it in (or whatever it's called). But to C-G-I out Carl's missing arm in every scene he's in requires A LOT more dynamic C-G-I work than a cut-and-paste fake lion only appearing on screen for less than a minute.

(I had to write C-G-I because of the securi firewall)