The Walking Dead - S02E03 - 10/30/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by EvilMidniteBombr, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1 of 111
    EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Ok. I'm going to go ahead and say it.

Shane? WTF? I officially hate that dude now. But would you have done the same thing?

This episode had its cool moments like the hanging walker.

I also have to ask, how in the hell is the country house getting electricity? I assume they are running off a generator. With limited fuel supplies, IMO, it should only be used sparingly. Lighting up the whole house and letting Shane can stand there steaming up the bathroom is not my idea of sparingly.

2. Oct 31, 2011 #2 of 111
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Maybe he thought Otis hadn't done enough to redeem himself yet. Or he wanted to impress Lori by coming to the aid of her son all by himself.

Or he was just really, really scared.

3. Oct 31, 2011 #3 of 111
    holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I didn't expect them to detour do much from the comic book storyline. I like it, because there's more to be surprised by.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #4 of 111
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    What Shane did reminded me of the the old saying about being chased by a bear...

I don;t have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you!

5. Oct 31, 2011 #5 of 111
    Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    I think what it came down to for Shane is that taking the chance to save Carl was more important to him than the life of the man who shot Carl. Otis kept saying he was trying to do right by Carl. So Shane made sure Otis paid that debt.

And in the back of Shane's mind, not that he would be ready to admit it, he wanted to be Lori's hero. The problem is Shane is basically a good man, and now he will have to figure out if he can live with his decision.

6. Oct 31, 2011 #6 of 111
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I agree. I think he's the kind of person that has all the best intentions and makes all the wrong choices and ends up looking like the bad guy.

7. Oct 31, 2011 #7 of 111
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not convinced. He's either a good man with a lot of bad in him, or a bad man who can do a lot of good. But I don't think he's basically one or the other.

In the comics,
    there wasn't much good in Shane, but then, he died very early (in the scene in the woods where he's looking down the gunsight at Rick, Carl saves Rick by shooting Shane). The relationship with Lori was just a one-night stand, and Shane couldn't stand that she dumped him, and then returned to Rick when he showed up. I guess when they decided to make him an ongoing character on the show, they decided to make him more ambiguous, which is probably a good choice.

8. Oct 31, 2011 #8 of 111
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I can't stand Shane or Lori. I wish they would kill them both off. Now that Shane is a murderer, I am guessing his days will be numbered.

9. Oct 31, 2011 #9 of 111
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I have to say, that opening scene with Shane looking in the mirror was creepier than any of the zombie action that followed.

10. Oct 31, 2011 #10 of 111
    celluloidlout

celluloidlout Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, this seems optimistic the me. I felt him shaving his hair was a clear sign he's out for no one but himself. A survivalist who'll minimize any means of advantage anyone may have on him (including being able to grab his hair and hold him back.) I don't suspect he'll have much issue living with what he's done.

11. Oct 31, 2011 #11 of 111
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    This season just isn't doing it for me. The Sophia storyline has gone on WAY too long. The Carl storyline as well, though the stuff with Shane was good this week.

For some reason I can totally accept the zombie apocolypse. But a vet saving a horribly gutshot kid by operating on him in a farmhouse with scavenged supplies? That is just ridiculous.

This season Daryl and Glenn are the only characters I don't actively hate. That's not good.

12. Oct 31, 2011 #12 of 111
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I was impressed by the way John Bernthal acted upon Shane returning back to the farmhouse (which was the same scene as the shaving scene at the beginning, but I'm referring to the bit at the end of the show where he gets the clothes and heads upstairs).

This was a good episode, though the overall "life/death choices" theme was a bit heavy-handed. We had:

1. Shane's choice about Otis.
    2. Rick and Lori's choice to operate on Carl, and then their further choice to do so before the respirator had arrived.
    3. The hanged man's choice to end it (unsuccessfully).
    4. Carl's choice to focus on the positive (the deer)
    5. Dale's choice to return the gun to Andrea.

Plus many others I am forgetting, I am sure.

Then again, it's the Zombie Apocalypse - there's nothing left BUT life and death choices. And perhaps that was the point.

13. Oct 31, 2011 #13 of 111
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Another enjoyable episode for me, though a bit dark which makes it hard to see on my old TV :)

14. Oct 31, 2011 #14 of 111
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You might be giving him too much credit...I think he just didn't want to have to explain why a chunk of his hair is missing.

My theory is that Shane is a bad person who doesn't want to admit that he's a bad person. And eventually he will get to the point where he can't deny it any more, and will no longer give in to his better impulses.

15. Oct 31, 2011 #15 of 111
    celluloidlout

celluloidlout Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Ah, yes! Very true...There's certainly a good chance I'm overanalyzing that. :eek: Excellent point!

16. Oct 31, 2011 #16 of 111
    voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    I second the thoughts about this season moving too slowly.

As for the surgery why the heck were they waiting? Once the kid passed out they don't need anesthesia! If they were running out of blood before surgery isn't the kid a goner since cutting him up further to get all the fragments will cause more bleeding.

I have to wonder about the stupidity of their tactics. They know that distractions work on the zombies so why not leave someone outside to do just that? If they are overdue, why not send some to check on them?

For that matter I have to wonder about the stupidity of not teaching everyone how to defend themselves. Everyone man woman and child should be taught how to kill a zombie and how to escape one. Just handing someone a gun and saying "Don't make me regret it" is just a set up for regret.

They better make it a priority to get some more silent killing weapons.

I'm still hooked on the series but my patience is wearing thin...

17. Oct 31, 2011 #17 of 111
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    That is exactly what the Exec Producer mentioned on the Talking Dead. Otis had ripped out a chunk of his hair.

18. Oct 31, 2011 #18 of 111
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Didn't they mention they were waiting for a ventilator?

19. Oct 31, 2011 #19 of 111
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    That reminds me...

If anyone wants to save some money on Gerber's Apocalypse Survival series of weapons, use the coupon code "PREPARED" to save 20%.

This is the bundle of knives & machetes that was found in a car at the traffic jam. They are sold individually, not in a set. :( I want the whole set in the roll-bag.

20. Oct 31, 2011 #20 of 111
    trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Why couldn't Shane just shoot poor Otis in the head instead of leaving him there to be eaten alive ? And it would have made getting the equipment from him easier.