The Walking Dead - New Best Friends - S7E10 - OAD 02/19/17

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

From the terrible green-screen effects, to a group of people that have
    somehow lost the ability to speak English in complete sentences, I thought this was a really bad episode.

I understand why they had Daryl lie to Carol, but I am always on the side of telling someone the truth and
    letting them make the decision on what to do with that information. And with Carol onboard, the Kingdom
    would most likely get on-board too.

2. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Yeah, that green-screen behind Rick when he and Jadis were up top were partcularly bad for a show that prides itself on visual effects.

3. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I thought it wasn't so bad at all. It was better than the torture episodes with the Saviors. It was nice to see this new set of characters.

I loved the Carol/Daryl reunion. Wish they shared more than soup. ;)

Gabriel redeemed himself a bit.

I love Jerry more than I should.

Morgan and Rosita are working my nerves.

Wonder if Tara will give up the camp of women who have all of those weapons.

The actress who plays Michonne has a killer smile. Too bad she has so few opportunities to use it.

BRiT wtfdotcom and SoBelle0 like this.
  4. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Based on how the garbage dump people dressed and spoke, I was just waiting for them to say they were waiting for Captain Walker to take them to Tomorrow-Morrow Land. An odd bunch to say the least.

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

I thought the speaking style etc. of the scavengers (garbage dump people) was interesting. I think after some amount of time if you have a very insular group like this they would definitely come up with their own speech patterns etc. However, the thing to remember is that it has been less than two years since the outbreak. I'm not sure it would have happened so quickly. On the other hand maybe so: constantly trying to survive may speed these things up.

Green screen was particularly lame, I do agree.

I liked the episode overall, but I am interested to see what happens next. They now have two masters: one that wants food and the other that wants guns. And who knows how long either one will wait.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's all up to Tara to spill the beans about Oceanside. That was Chekhov's Armory.

Glad to see Carol and Daryl back together.

Morgan is getting on my nerves.

The whole plot with the Garbage People made no sense and was super lame. Is that from the graphic novel?

7. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Question is will it be raiding Oceanside to get their guns or sending Carol and Tara to talk them into it? Oceanside is not far enough from the Saviors.

8. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    The lighting around Carol's fireplace was awful, as well. I'm still trying to figure out how the light from the fire was shining and flickering directly on the shadowed side toward the camera? It was obvious it was from a flicker light at the camera position. This show is rapidly losing its' production values.

9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    The green screen fall was obvious and no problem for me. The lighting around the fireplace ??????

I enjoyed the episode, it's hard to explain the difference from last season (Except for the absence of Negan) but this is much more enjoyable. You have the Kingdom and it's weirdness, the Saviors being incredibly sadistic and evil. In this world it's no surprise that a community would adopt a different way of talking.

lynncosbm likes this.
  10. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The whole thing with Winslow was stupid, too. As soon as I saw the spikes, I thought Rick should grab one of the many cushions in the background and stick on Winslow's head. The spikes would hold it in place and he would be blinded. Then Rick could have dealt with him in a leisurely manner...

11. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I think Winslow was blinded anyway by the helmet. It's pretty much been established that they can find people by sounds and smell.

12. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I hated the way the Scavengers spoke. I know the show is based on a comic book, but they spoke the way a group like them would speak in a comic book, not like a group would speak in the real world.

The green screen was jarring at first just because I have never noticed anything obviously fake before, except maybe the tiger.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Which is ironic, because they're not from the comic book...

Crobinzine likes this.
  14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I could see adopting a different language to improve security. But to devolve into speaking English in broken sentences after just two years makes no sense.

15. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    It makes as much sense as Zombies, King E, The Saviors, Negan and any other number of things on the show.

16. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was also put off by the pseudo language of the scavengers. This isn't dozens of years into the future or anything. It's not Mad Max. At best it felt silly.

Immediately thought of the Rancor when Rick went into the pit.

17. TeddS

TeddS Obfuscator

Sep 21, 2000
    NYC
    Struck me that the leader of the Scavengers has some sort of a speech problem, and everyone else in the group are just following her lead. Each group seems to be very thematic. This new group seems to be very low energy, not bothering to speak much, or correctly. Not bothering in general. Of course, that's what Rick and team have been getting from the other groups lately - nobody wants to step up. So I guess the show is personifying that dynamic in these new folks.

18. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    God you guys are nit-picky. I know, I know. Welcome to the internet.

It's all theatrics for the Junkyard people. That's my reasoning for how she (the leader) speaks. Like King Ezekiel.

I really enjoyed this episode. It's good to see Rick trying at least, on the offensive (even though he was more on the defensive this episode).

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed

20. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Theatrics is the correct description. Kinda like Negan and his bat.