The Walking Dead - 3/17/19 - "Scars"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markb, Mar 19, 2019.

1. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    I feel like they've used up all of their "shock allowance" when Negan killed Glenn and Abraham. Now, it's just meh.

Killer kids? Whatever. Michonne needs to make a choice to kill the kids or be killed? We know what she has to do. Just get it over with. Besides, we already had Carol execute a kid in season 4, so this bridge has been crossed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seems rather...odd that Michonne would be so upset about taking in outsiders and having them turn out to be bad guys that she will no longer...help her friends?

Judith was right. Of course. But why did it take six years for Michonne to figure it out?

DevdogAZ likes this.
  3. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I can’t stop watching the show now because I feel too invested, but my interest has fallen with the departure of so many key characters. I can’t warm up to most of the newer ones.

I didn’t care for the kids thing. Nothing ever really bothers me but I just didn’t like the idea or imagery I guess. Suspending disbelief, I guess theoretically a similar situation could happen...I just didn’t need to see it. I suppose it was about as discreet as it could be but it was still there.

I’m still not into the whisperers storyline. Negan just kind of needs to do something already. Perhaps they’re saving that for the finale and he ends up fighting alongside Darryl and the group. Dunno. I want a new antagonist group or a change of scenery.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Somebody in a review of this episode theorized that Negan is being groomed (by the writers)
    to take over leadership when Michonne leaves, since Morgan is a bit high-profile of an actor to just keep him sitting in that cell for no reason.

5. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    That scene with Michonne and the kids was just brutal. :|

As for her reaction afterwards, this wasn't just bringing in strangers and having them take the kids. This was someone who was a close friend at one point. It made her question who she could trust.

SoBelle0 and Beryl like this.
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But I don't think there's any hint that she no longer trusted Maggie, Carol, etc. She just cut them off because...she did.

I think it was a pretty poor explanation.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I felt this was the worst episode of the season. Granted I was not paying the greatest attention, but I found it tedious to follow. Not necessarily "hard" to follow as the flashback parts were clear enough, but in the respect that I kept asking myself why I'm being introduced to some new minor character whose not going to stay and is undoubtedly going to immediately be bad. Why did this person come with a bunch of kids? Why did this person take a bunch of kids? The shock scene wasn't particularly shocking as they cut back and forth to Michonne killing walkers (imaging if the Glenn scene would have been filmed that way). Sure, there were reasons why they couldn't actually depict the scene as-is, but setting up a plot that ends in a climactic shock scene you know you can't actually film... that's just dumb.

It seems like a producers wanted to have isolation between the three communities, and they've been teasing at a reason throughout the season, then they just pulled some random crap out of a hat.

I'll be glad if/when Gurira leaves the show. The character has been completely wasted this season.

I'm looking forward to the speculated rise of Negan. I don't know how they're going to pull it off, as he's locked in a cell and hated by all but one character, but I'm sure they'll find a way. Probably have him save Alexandria from Alpha.

He'll be a better Rick than Rick was.

8. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Noooooo! They’d better not!

I enjoyed this episode.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's already been announced, hasn't it?

I was thrilled when Rick exited last season, because I'd been tired of his character for years. But the writers have really floundered in finding another dynamic character to take over the leadership role. I would have been cool with Maggie doing it, but she left as well.

Regarding this episode, the whole premise of a couple adults poaching and training kids just makes zero sense. Why would anyone think that a band of kids would be effective against adults? Sure, the shock might allow a couple kids to get over on a couple adults, but once it's clear to the adults that they'll have to kill the kids to save their own lives, the kids don't really stand much of a chance.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    @DevdogAZ, that's kind of a spoiler, isn't it?

11. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
  12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I guess you're right. I was thinking it was common knowledge, but obviously not everyone knows. I've edited my post.

13. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003

The 3 camps have been fractured all season. Maggie wanted to kill Negan and did kill the POS that ran Hilltop. Rick wanted to be all peace and love so he couldn't let her or anyone else kill Negan. Darryl wasn't thrilled with Rick not allowing Negan to be killed. Probably many others who lost loved ones weren't either. Maggie couldn't be around Negan so she stays away from Alexandra. He and Michonne wanted to get all 3 leaders to sign a charter and try to rebuild the friendship, partnership and trust. They also wanted to have rules and not just kill people without some due process. They wanted the type of order we have now. Maggie and others didn't seem to agree with that in the new world.

Like real life people drift apart. Especially if there is big disagreements like this. Each of the 3 camps had different resources and wanted to look after their own. Those who live there. Their kids, family and loved ones. Maggie didn't want to give food (or was it some other resource) to the saviors who were supposed to fix the bridge. She wanted something in return but eventually acquiesced. She didn't trust them (and seemingly with good reason).

I am not even convinced Michonne was totally onboard with Rick's plan. I guess for a while she was. After he died she didn't seem to continue on with Rick's plan to unite and get a charter signed off.

Part of the recurring plot or whatever is those that think things can sort of go back to the way things were pre-outbreak. Carl, Sidddiq, Rick and Judith (and I guess Michonne at one point) all believed you have to reach out to others survivors. Heck even Darryl was out there doing that for a time. However more often then not someone or many someones get killed. Many survivors aren't good people. Some are but many are not. So the struggle seems to be do we trust outsiders or do we keep our gates closed? Carl ended up getting killed for it but they ended up with Siddiq whose medical training probably saved dozens of lives. It even seemed that maybe Negan was open to this while Carl was still alive. He loved Carl for some strange reason and seemed to think maybe not being a murdering prick was an option. Even after Judith lost her brother to this mindset she doesn't hate Negan like most others do. She is carrying on Carl's message. Who knows how many people this might get killed. Or who might end up on their side to help them due to her.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I always felt Michonne was the driving force behind it because she was the lawyer and she was the one shown drafting the charter document. But her mindset changed after the incident we saw in this episode.

smbaker likes this.
  15. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Having common enemies and a common struggle is a uniting force. Trade is also a uniting force. I don't find the level of division presented to us this season to be reasonable given the circumstances and the basic premise of the series.

... and therein lies the problem. The storytelling of this episode was poor and this incident is critical to the motivation of Michonne, and it played like a hasty one-off. There was little setup. Michonne's long-lost college buddy showing up and kidnapping the kids? Turning them into an army? It would have been one thing if they'd have developed the kidnapping story arc over several episodes, but they didn't. Recently read an article that contrasted this episode with the story arc surrounding Lizzie, The Walking Dead Totally Bungles the Resolution of Another Big Mystery, and I think they hit the nail on the head.

DevdogAZ likes this.