The Walking Dead - 3/10/19 - "Chokepoint"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SoBelle0, Mar 11, 2019.

1. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    S9E13 with *Spoilers* Guess it's too late to modify the thread title.

Why didn't Daryl just shoot Beta when he shot the recently dead dude?

Easy pease! Lydia knew he would be there. Knew he always wore that raggedy long coat. Knew he'd be in the middle. Yet, they didn't even try. Just brought them all upstairs for a bunch of hand-to-hand combat. Dumb.

I am intrigued by the new group, The Highwaymen. I was awfully glad that they responded thoughtfully (or so we hope) to Carol's invitation to movie night at the Fair. Looking forward to how that all goes.

Beryl likes this.
  2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    For the same reason Daryl didn't shoot him while he was laying at the bottom of the elevator shaft - the plot requires Beta to still be around to provide conflict. Without Beta, then Alpha loses her muscle, and without Alpha, the Whisperers aren't very intimidating.

I was also glad the Highwaymen were reasonable, but that whole exchange was really stupid. They're getting into armed conflicts and standoffs because they desperately need food, and then Carol offers to let them see a movie and suddenly the need for food is secondary? Please.

Also, it's really annoying the way the conversation between Daryl and Connie is done on paper, but they don't leave the paper on the screen long enough to read it. Every single time they held up a paper, I had to rewind and pause it to see what it said.

3. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Follow Daryl or follow Connie? Dog knows the score.

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    It was another satisfying episode.

I loved the Highwaymen interaction with Carol. Guess that venture to the movie theater will pay off.

Shipping Connie and Daryl (and the dog) as Daryl does well with those who don’t speak. He needs to learn how to sign.

Did anyone (even those who didn’t read the comics) think Beta was killed? Daryl could have at least dropped a boulder down that shaft to be sure.

5. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    That Highwaymen subplot was idiotic. What a waste of time.

It’s a shame the writers have to make Daryl temporarily incompetent in order to advance their plot. They should have found a different way.

BTW, no need put the word “spoilers” in an episode thread title. It’s assumed.

6. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    The indestructible foe should be mentioned in the plot trope thread. We all knew he wasn't dead. And apparently not too badly hurt, either.

The other trope (in all shows) is that the person being chased through the woods always trips and falls. The person doing the chasing never falls.

My favorite character is Dog.

7. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Especially after asking Lydia if he was their best fighter. She said Yes and he said good we will kill him first. Even dumber when he knocked him down the elevator shaft he didn't make sure he was dead. A few cross bow bolts to the head and no more Beta.

8. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah at 12 feet or so on a 50" TV it was a bit hard for me to read anyway. Wasn't well lit. My wife actually was able to read it though.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To be fair, there's no way he could have survived that drop... :D

10. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    Reminded me of another foe falling a few flights (I think maybe only 3) and also surviving.

11. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Darryl should have pushed that table saw down the elevator shaft after Opie.

jcondon likes this.
  12. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Oh, yeah, the table saw. All I could think of when Beta had Daryl’s neck up against the table saw blade was that there’s no electricity! Joke’s on Beta? Us? After thinking about it, he could have done some damage with the unpowered table saw, but that’s not the first place my brain went!

Otherwise, I actually rather enjoyed the fight scene. Much more than the rest of the episode.

13. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    HA! I had the same first thought about the table saw. And, then slowly also realized that he could still do some damage...

14. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Even though I'm not as thrilled with the show as I used to be, and I really think part of that does have to do with the departure of certain key characters, I'm still in for the long run. Can't bring myself to give up on the investment I've put into it from the beginning.

That said, I was hot and cold on this episode. There was a certain "big movie quality" to the fight scene, with the stalking by Beta and the music. It just gave it a big-time feel.

On the other hand, when he fell down the shaft, I knew he wasn't dead. Then you cut to the shot of him stirring to move, and it felt like a Michael Myers thing...I'm sitting there thinking, ok, there's no way he survived that. He's literally Michael Myers. That took me out of it.

15. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm sorry, but that scene where the Highwaymen come riding in to save the day with the western music playing was laughably bad.

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I actually really liked the entire highwaymen plot. Yes, it was a little silly but that's fine with me: TWD can use a bit of silly every now and then. They cast the perfect character for their leader as well: he just LOOKED like someone who was play-acting at being menacing but really wasn't a horrible person. Why does every group they meet have to be cannibals and murderers and rapists? Can't some of them be a group of basically decent people just trying to survive? I really enjoyed a meeting between groups that had a different outcome than "kill or be killed". I did have to laugh at them deciding to talk because the letter was grammatically correct :D.

Regarding the elevator shaft: they showed it was pitch black in there, which actually makes perfect sense since there's no lighting and it's unlikely any ambient light would filter in from anywhere. So having Daryl shoot him with the crossbow is definitely not going to work. He could have dropped the table or something and hoped he hit, or he could have gone looking for a flashlight (he gave his to Lydia) to make sure, that would have been the smart thing for sure since they had time. Also trying to shoot Beta in the horde obviously would have been the smart thing. But yeah, having Beta alive and more or less unhurt after that fall is ridiculous so maybe we shouldn't chalk it up to Daryl-the-character being stupid, as much as the writers being stupid.

Beryl likes this.
  17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Davos: "Fewer."

Jon: "...what?

DevdogAZ likes this.
  18. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Totally agree with all of this. The Highwaymen are a breath of fresh air.

19. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I wish they would have shown a seen late in the episode of the Highway men watching a movie, eating popcorn, and laughing. Would have been a good payoff.

Can you imagine though if the only movie they had was something like Ishtar or Waterworld? Or something sad Like Toy Story 3?

20. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Or perhaps: