The Vow - HBO NXIVM documentary

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Nov 2, 2020.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL

Advertisements

My wife and I watched the first three episodes last night. It's a well made and compelling documentary so far, but it's also starting to feel a bit tedious and drawn out. I realize that some of the juiciest stuff is yet to come, but I still can't fathom how there is still six more hours of interesting material left to cover. For those of you who have seen the whole thing, do you recommend that we stick with it? I'm also curious to know your thoughts on how this documentary stacks up against the Starz documentary "Seduced: Inside the NXIVM Cult", which I believe is currently airing.

2. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    My wife and I loved every second of The Vow, and are eagerly awaiting Season 2. I keep reading people online complaining about how long and drawn out it is, and certainly some parts were repetitive, but we were absolutely riveted.

3. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    it is very tedious and way too long. should have been a 2 hour documentary

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    There is more than six hours. There is a second season coming, which I didn't know until after the first season ended. I was so pissed. I skipped over a lot of the last couple episodes wanting to get to the juicy stuff, only to find there was none.

5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

Spoiler: You find out in the last minute of episode 9 that there is a part 2
    On October 16, 2020, HBO renewed the series for a second season.
    The second season of the series will focus on Raniere's trial and a continued look inside his inner circle and ongoing supporters, and stories of leadership in the United States and Mexico, as supporters and defectors face off with federal prosecutors and defense attorneys

6. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's amazing how much footage the filmmakers had to work with. I guess NXIVM encouraged filming and recording, which is not something you normally see in these types of high control situations.

7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Enough for another show on STARZ and even another on Lifetime.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's very entertaining, but I watched it at either 1.5 or 1.7x..

I still don't get how people don't get "IT'S A CULT" flashing lights happening in their head when they first learned about it. Sure, the guy could give some general (fairly obvious) suggestions, said in a vaguely intellectual way.

I've also listened to a couple eps of Leah Remini's podcast that continues on from her TV show.