The Voice "Live Show, Quarter-Finals 2" 06/14/11 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MNoelH, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I'm just getting started watching.

So far Christina has made her save. I was surprised she saved Frenchie.

2. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    To add to my post above. I think American got it right in saving Beverly.

Cee Lo's team performance had me grinning from ear to ear. The country boy didn't sound good, but it just had such a feel good vibe about it that it just made me smile.

The other performances I've seen have been good, but nobody has blown my skirt up yet like Dia did last week.

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    America got both right, and so did Blake with his choice.

4. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I'm so so so very glad that America got it right with Dia.

I'm really surprised (but glad) that Blake picked Senya. Her sound is amazing. Her stage presence pretty much sucks. Hopefully he can help her with that.

5. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I literally cheered and was pumping my fist in the air when Blake saved Xenia!!

Overall thoughts:

Happy with Blake's team.
    Hooray for America for choosing Beverly but I think Christina made a mistake going for an all bald female team :) I think Raquel was the better choice.

Cee Lo's group song had me smiling all the way through. He definitely wins the battle of the group songs tonight.

But I thought he picked some really BIZARRE songs for his team. If iTunes downloads are affecting the outcome why saddle team members with songs like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. I mean the sisters looked adorable and the production was great but I don't think it will generate downloads. He had 2 clear standouts. Vicci Martinez (I love her) gets the audience save for a surprisingly soulful version of Jolene. Nakia gets saved by Cee Lo. If those two do not go through it is a mistake.

Adam's team is much tougher to call. Devon is gone without a doubt. I love Casey's voice but I think it got lost in the arrangement tonight. That could spell trouble. I think either Jeff or Javier could win the audience vote. Then the question is if Adam saves the other one or saves Casey.

6. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I was as well.

Disagree. I thought Xenia was the worst of the 4.

Agreed. I think she didn't pick her because she is so young and probably thinks that Raquel will have many more chances on her own, especially after being exposed nationally like this.

7. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Adam is going to have a very tough choice next week. Javier likely gets America's choice, but both Jeff and Casey kicked butt tonight. Not sure who he will save.

Only really liked the woman from Ce Lo's performances.

8. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I love Xenia's voice. She needs to get past her nerves and learn how to have some stage presence.

9. RockJock

RockJock Rock Climbing Fool

Apr 6, 2000
    Washington, DC
    My wife and I both think it will come down to Javier and Vicci for the final two. Thoughts?

10. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I like her voice too, but I think her performance was the worst of the 4.

11. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Dia might sneak in there if she can grow a personality, but otherwise I think this is spot on.
    Javier is too into cramming every note possible into every song, though. I thought Adam's advice was to remind us of his oversinging and to bring Javier down a notch so he doesn't run away with it.
    As far as the rest I was pretty happy with the people saved.

Those Doublemint Twins were cheesey as in straight out of a high school talent show. The sooner they are gone the better.

I never remember Casey and when I do I don't like her at all.
    I could never understand why until last night- her face does not move.
    She is mask like- seriously not one single ounce of expression and it robs her of any humanity.
    I don't think my brain recognizes her as human.
    She is too young for botox but I guess stranger things have happened and she could have an unreasonable fear of developing lines in her face.
    But dang, it's off putting to the nth degree.

Vicci was awesome but I found the lighting did her a disservice as I never got a clear shot of her. But if I had to choose a favorite it would be her and I almost never like girl singers.

I like Nakia as well, actually quite a bit.

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Yeah, they probably should have let her just sing. The whole choreographed point to the left, point to the right was so unnatural to her it just looked bad. Get her to loosen up some before trying choreographed moves. I'd like to hear her tackle a song like Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    This format is so boring. I fast forwarded through all the stuff the four mentors said after each song.

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    i FF Idol's judges all the time, but these guys are fun, not boring at all.

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Xenia has a great tone to her voice but she doesn't seem to be a very emotive singer, and it sometimes really shows. I thought her rendition of the Jessie J song was utterly horrific - among the worst performances on this show to date. That said, I understand Blake's reason for picking her and I hope it works out. She really needs a lot of help to learn how to perform, and the other two options were both well along in their evolution and didn't need as much help.

Javier's rendition of Angel is probably about as good as it could be. That is a hard song to cover and make your own without changing the arrangement much. I thought he did well.

Christina's armpits appear to be properly tanned now. Last week, before her darker tan, her armpits were pasty compared to the rest of her body and it looked pretty weird.

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    That doesn't make sense to me. The better singers get punished for being better. I really wanted Jared to move on.

Really? Her armpits are what caught your attention? :D

17. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I loved Jared's voice but found him very dated (like 1980's dated) and likely set in his ways.

Clearly Blake saw the opportunity to greatly influence the direction of someone's career and life, and felt her worth his investment of time.
    I think the other three coaches, while serious about winning, don't take it quite as personally as Blake does. He really sees something in this girl and wants to do whatever is in his power to truly mentor her along. I think she has a very low chance of winning but I have to admire him for taking her so much to heart.
    Sometimes having someone believe in you as strongly as Blake does Xenia can make a difference in confidence and performance quality.
    She just might surprise us all.

18. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I like Xenia a lot but I also like Norah Jones a lot and she reminds me of her. She just needs work on the confidence.

Christina made a huge mistake in not keeping Raquel Castro. She could be huge in the tween crowd and I don't see either Beverly or Frenchie having album sales even close to what Raquel could do.

19. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    I don't get why anyone is saying Jeff was good. I thought that was horrible. He's getting extra pimped so he may make it through, but his singing was bad.

20. tanyatnt

tanyatnt Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    I'm with you ... I actually found him painful and FF'd through most of his performance. :thumbsdown: