The Voice "Live Show, Quarter-Finals 1" 06/07/11 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MNoelH, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1 of 36
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I have no idea if I needed to include the spoilers tag in the title or not. I'm guessing we're not getting any results until next week, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've only watched three contestants so far, but the talent tonight is blowing me away so far.

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 36
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    This way, you can talk about the songs they sang without putting it in Spoiler tag. :)

I'll watch after basketball game.

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 36
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    No spoiler tags needed since the date is in the thread title.

Good show tonight.

I really liked Raquel & Beverly from Team Christina and the Jared & Dia from Team Blake.

And I loved Blake's "That's what she said" comment!

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 36
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Anyone else have sound issues? I found everything sounded tinny even just when people were talking.

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5 of 36
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    So much more professional at this stage of the game than Idol.

Blake has an eclectic team. I want three of them to stay. Jared is a great rocker and both Xenia and Dia have such unique, enjoyable voices. I don't care much about Patrick, maybe because we just had a country winner on Idol. If I had to choose I would say the two girls.

On team Christina, I definitely have my two favorites and they are Raquel Castro, and Beverly McClellen. Beverly delivered on the Melissa Ethridge song and did fantastic with Lady Marmalade. Amazing that Raquel is the youngest and one of the most poised on stage.

Loved the Lady Marmalade group song. They rocked it up some and all the singers were great.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 36
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I've only seen four performances now and I can't believe I'm about to vote for someone by downloading their rendition, of a Kanye West song no less, via iTunes. I just reround and relistened countless times

Heartless by fourth contestant, Dia Frampton.

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 36
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I could see Raquel winning the whole thing. Good voice, good stage presence, pretty face, etc.

Christina is annoying the crap outta me with her comments.

Xenia is gone from Blake's team. For sure. Not sure who else goes. Gotta think Jared will stay and I think Blake will save Dia, which could mean Patrick goes home.

Raquel and Bev likely stay for Christina's team, which means bye bye Frenchie and Lilly.

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 36
    GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Dia absolutely blew me away. I'm not even that familiar with Kanye West's song, but that was just amazing. IMO, best of the night, by far.

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 36
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I could have written this! I agree totally.

I agree with your assessment too.

I am really liking Blake as a person/judge, and Adam too. But Christina is totally annoying the crap out of me. She gets upset if any talks when it's her turn, but she does it to everyone else.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Adam "Beverly was so good I SH#T Myself" lol well at least on the east/central time zones.

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I thought Beverly blew everyone else away.

I don't really care who else stays at this point - as long as she is one of them.

12. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I think they can just go ahead and award whatever the trophy is to Beverly... she has a great voice, a great presence, and picks songs that amplify both of those!!

I think Blake would keep Patrick over Jared. And I would be one of those guys whose first question to Blake would be "Are you drunk?"... that's all he tweets about. :) Well, that and #screwpeta.

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was very dissapointed with all the group songs except for Christina's. That rocked. The others were horrible especially the first song with the 4 judges.

14. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Agreed that the song that Christina's group performed rocked. Very well done.

But at the end she had to throw in her little comments ... AGAIN. Although all the judges want to win, Christina seems to think the show is about her. Where as the other judges seem to feel that the show is about discovering the new person.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't watch this show, but my wife and kids do. I happened to be in the room this morning when they turned it on and the coaches sang the opening Queen medley. Based on that performance, I'll say that Cee Lo and Blake really have no business judging a talent contest called "The Voice."

16. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I thought the blind auditions were a nice twist to the typical singing show. We didnt watch any of the battle rounds because they were pointless.

I agree that the singers sounded better than their idol counterparts at the same stage of the game but idol put more constraints on what and how they could sing so it almost seems apples/oranges to me (reverb especially which masks a lot of issues).

Before everyone gushes over Dia's rendition of Heartless, remember Kris Allen on idol did something very similar two years ago but much better, IMO.

Lastly the judges are too gushy about everyone. Where's the criticism and honest feedback?

17. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Well, as I mentioned above, I'd barely ever heard the Kanye West version, so I'm just going off of Dia's performance, and I thought it was great.

I think you'll have to wait for the X Factor in the fall. Idol didn't have any criticism and honest feedback this year either (at least once they got down to the live shows).

18. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I thought the Queen medley was pretty bad except for Adam's guitar solo. I expected more of them I guess.

And Team Blake's group performance was pretty week. It was okay for that song, but it didn't do as much to showcase everyone individually as Team Christina's group performance did. They flat-out rocked!

19. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I cut them slack because they are not judges they are supposed to be coaches. They have a little bit of stake in who wins, even if it is just bragging rights. If they tear down their own team then they look bad and votes may go against them. If they tear down singers on other teams then they look bad and the voting audience might take it out on their team.

Plus next week, I think, Christina and Blake will be responsible for sending two members home. I believe the audience vote will only "save" one contestant per team. Then the judge will have a save to use on one of the other three, sending the remaining two home.

So, on this show with this format I don't see much upside in being too critical as a coach.

20. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

Will be interesting to see which format the show follows:

A) Coach picks who they want to save first. Then the results of the voting for the other 3 are announced and the top person is saved, sending the other two home.

or

B) The results of the voting are told first, with the top person being saved. Then the coach saves one of the remaining 3, sending the other two home.

My guess is they do A. It doesn't make the coach look as much like a bad guy in that format.