The Voice - Blind Audtion Round #1 - OAD 4/26/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I wonder how many people they bring in for the blind audition rounds? If, for instance, they call back 50 people who have been considered good enough to bring back, and the judges pick 32, I'm assuming once the 32nd is picked the rest just get jetisoned? I wonder if there's any attempt by the producers to stack the front with the best talent/hopefuls?

I believe aside from the 12 that were chosen already, there were two or three that weren't chosen? I'd kind of hate to think that audition #47 is the 32nd person chosen, and #48 is knock-it-out-of-the-park talented!

So did anybody think that "I'm too beautiful to sing and be judged fairly" was really all that pretty? Yes, attractive, but in my opinion, the Indian girl who didn't make it was MUCH prettier than her. There seemed to me to be something about her face that didn't make her classically beautiful or anything. Just kind of average. Probably just my viewpoint - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

It's kind of refreshing to see the level of talent in these auditions, without the distraction of the train-wreck faction that is infused into the AI audition rounds. Aside from maybe the 54 year-old woman who was so surprised to get a callback. She seemed out of her league compared to the others.

2. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    The show seemed to be more about which mentor the singers would pick than it did whether they would make it or not. Makes me wonder if there were more that didn't get picked that they cut out of the broadcast.

I do wonder what would happen if they did run out of spots before they got to hear everyone but they also said that.
    They would be bringing people back for a second chance, so it looks like they got to hear everyone before all the spots were filled.

I also didn't think the "pretty" singer was all that gorgeous. She wasn't unattractive but definitely not as beautiful as she seemed to think.

3. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I wasn't really crazy with who I saw last night (watched the first few people), but am finishing up the episode right now. Some people that stood out to me:

- Frenchie Davis - Didn't care for her on Idol and still don't.
    - Indian girl - Liked her MUCH better than the attractive girl shortly after that went with CeeLo.
    - The husband & wife - She had an amazing voice. He needs some work.
    - The Texan kid who had just lost his mom - I love that song and he sang it really well. I think he just needs to enunciate a little better.
    - The girl living in her car - VERY cool rendition of "Come as you are." She deserves mad props just for that. Her voice was just an added bonus.
    - "Time After Time" done acoustically was phenomenal.
    - The 41 y/o at the end singing "Piece of my Heart" was really powerful. She really did rock it.

I've set the season pass and ready to keep watching. :)

4. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I prefer Rolling in the Deep last night over Haley's version on AI. I hated the married couple as well as the first girl.

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    The guy who sang time after time blew me away. I got chills.

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I think I've only watched 2 episodes ever of AI, but what I liked about this show is that there weren't any horrible singers that had no reason being there and I also liked that they couldn't see the contestants.

7. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Same with me. The other one that gave me chills was the guy singing "Bless the Broken Road." That song itself gives me chills everytime I hear it. I just wish I could've understood his lyrics a little more.

8. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was surprised that a couple of them were picked up at all... Frenchie sounded horrible.

I've asked Blake Shelton on Twitter why he waited sooo long on the Time After Time guy... there was no doubt how good he was, start to finish. Probly won't get a response, but it's worth a shot. :)

I don't watch singing talent shows, but this one looks fun for now. I think the next round will be hard.

9. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Christina seemed to pick the worst team. I think she was upset when she ended up being the only one picking Frenchie. I think Adam Levine got the two best singers, and I think his strategy to sit back and wait was good early on.

I think Cee Lo and Blake Shelton did okay for themselves as well.

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would really.

I am interested in how things will proceed from here.

From the previews each coach will narrow down their teams to 4, I believe by having sing offs where they pairs of singers sing the same song. I think that will be very interesting and actually a good challenge.

At first I was annoyed that the judges could all see each other when turned around, but then I realized there was a lot of Gamesmanship in what they were doing and it grew on me.

The singing was very good across the board. There were a couple who were not as good, but nobody was horrible. An interesting note that TV Guide made too was that these people were performing on stage with a band in front of a live audience. That is the transition some idol contestants fall down. They sing acapella in auditions but when they have to get to a live audience with a band they crumble.

10. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I wonder about this, too.. When they AIR it, they can air it in whatever order they want to build drama. But in reality, when they actually taped it, what happend when they DID get 32 people picked and there were still people left to audition.

11. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Crap. I wanted to watch this. I assume it's online?

12. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Last night's episode is being rerun tonight.

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Isn't part two of the blind auditions tonight? How can they run part 1 and part 2 in one night? That's four hours.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Part 1 is being rerun tonight and later in the week on E!. New episodes are Tuesdays at 9pm EST.

15. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Thank you for telling me, and doing so while I was in a room with a Tivo that won't be recording Idol tonight :D.
    My STUPID NBC affiliate went off the air during the first 45 minutes of this show. I was a little miffed.

16. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    ahh.. OK.. So, part two is not until next week?

17. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I had conflicts too, mostly because glee was 90 minutes last night instead of 60.

Of course, when I went to wathc it, the local Fox channel started it 30 minutes late so they could show radar images of bad weather way far away in the middle of nowhere. And when it DID start, they kept in SD !!!

BIH Fox!!!!

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yes

19. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    then I guess tivo is recording it tonight!

damn.. and to think I watched it last night LIVE thinking I had to

20. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Awesome, thanks!