The Voice - Battle Round #1 - OAD 5/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Maui, May 10, 2011.

1. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Good show tonight. Still enjoying it.

I think all but one judge made the right decision. The judge I feel made the bad choice was Blake.

The one I was most rooting for tonight was Vicky Martinez. There is something about her voice I really like. So glad she was picked.

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Wow, I couldn't beleive the pairing of the groups. I agree with Blake that Ce Lo made a mistake putting those girls up against each other. I think the only pairing I could somewhat agree with was Blakes, then I thought he chose the wrong one.

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I agree about Vicky Martinez. I liked her rendition on Rolling in the Deep especially.

So glad they got rid of the gay guy. How he even made it that far is a mystery to me.

4. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Really? That is the only mistake I think the judges made in choosing last night. Even Cee-lo and Adam said they would have picked him.

5. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I'm really unhappy with the way the competition is set up (and did when I originally heard about it). It seems silly to go through the grueling ordeal of picking 8 people for your team and then pit two of them against each other immediately and kick one out.

I really thought they would work with them more or something. There's no way that when they set up the duel, they're not already rooting for one and find one somewhat expendable or realize they have two "sounds" that are similar and need to narrow it down to one. I just don't like it... it seems cruel.

6. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Honestly we do not know how longe they may or may not have worked with them do we? Apparently the gap between the Blind auditions and the coaching sessions was long enough for Adam to grow a full beard. :)

7. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    You're right. It just seems cruel. The way the first contestant not picked looked confused and didn't know how to exit the stage gracefully just looked mean to me.

I'm sure it could also all be great exposure regardless of the outcome from the battle. Cee Lo even said something to the effect of he'd be doing something for the girl he didn't pick.

8. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    The blind auditions were interesting - a new twist. The battle round was a waste of time - a way to cut dead weight they got stuck with thru the auditions. I'm not sticking around to see how the live shows go.

I'm out.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I admittedly was mostly only paying attention to the actual performance sections.. but why did some of the battles seem to go line from singer #1, line from singer #2, line from singer #1... and some went "paragraph" (whatever the term is) from singer #1, "paragraph" from singer #2, etc..?

I actually think it worked better a line at a time.. or even if you had each singer have to sing the whole song separately, and randomly choose which goes first (since that's a huge advantage).

10. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    His last name is Levine. I'm pretty sure that makes him a Jew by birth. If they shave at 8am they usually have a full beard by 6pm. ;)

Since the pros are Coaches and not Judges, I wonder if they can take on management roles for those that didn't make the cut. They all tour and need opening acts. I could see a few of the contestants starting off there instead of with the instant fame of winning and a recording contract.

But it also makes sense. The contestants are picking their own songs on the blind rounds. They are going to pick their best song. In the battle rounds, the coaches pick the song. This gives the coach a chance to evaluate the actual performance ability with new material. How many times on AI have you heard the judges say, "I'm not hearing the person I heard at the audition."

They pretty much let the singers divide up the song how ever they wanted, except "Leather and Lace" which is already a duet. Some duets work line by line, others work better verse by verse. It all depends on the conversation in the song.

11. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I agree with Blake's decision. There's only so much he could do for that guy, whereas the guy he picked is a country singer through and through.

He's right - runs don't work in country songs, and even though he said he didn't do it as much, he was still doing it.

He's a different type of singer, and it was just bad luck that he ended up on Blake's team.

12. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I actually thought that Tyler nailed the song more so than Patrick. But I wasn't surprised that Blake stuck to a true country singer. I think if it had been any other judge they would have chose Tyler.

13. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    But the goal for the judges is not really to choose the singers they can do more with or work with after the show. The goal is to pick the person who can win the show. And I think they should be aware of the the fact that this will eventually go to an audience vote.

In fact two other judges said, on the show, they would have picked Tyler. And I agree that I think Tyler did a better job on the song.

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Very true and I'm betting Christina would have picked him as well. I'm not so sure it's a good idea for them to ask the other judges who they would pick. It almost seemed like it bothered Blake when the other two judges (I think Adam and Cee Lo) said they thought Tyler was the winner. Then when it was Cee Lo's turn Blake wasn't shy about voicing who he thought should be picked almost attempting to get back at home for earlier.

15. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I didn't think Blake picked a winner between Cee Lo's two singers but he definitely said that he was surprised that Cee Lo put two such powerhouses up against each other.

Which kind of makes you wonder if the judges will purposely pick certain pairings with the idea being to elimate a memeber of their team they were not really happy with.

16. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Maybe it wasn't Cee Lo's singers, I'll have to go back and watch.

I can definitely see that happening. I vaguely remember when Blake first turned around and saw Tyler he didn't seem that happy that he had pushed his button.

17. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    They'd be fools not to.
    One would think they would automatically factor a certain amount of fodder into their initial selection process.
    It's not as if the format of the show was a secret :D They knew this was going to come up.

18. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I was 1-3 with the judges' picks and Cee Lo is who redeemed me. I like the different format from Idol but I hate we only had 4 battles, especially since the songs were all edited 2 min versions. If they did the whole song sure only have 4-6 battles but there was a bit too much fluff (like most reality shows) for me.

As for the pairings I wonder how much say the judges had vs. the producers. BTW who produces the shows? Are any of the judges listed as one?

19. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Did we all realize that the band on this show is the House Band from RockStar:INXS and Supernova?

I wondered when I saw it was a Mark Burnett show, then I thought I saw Sasha Krivtsov hiding behind sunglasses and a hat back there.
    I just remembered to look it up and it is them, them, all of them! This is awesome!

If they put them onstage during the voting rounds (and mix it decently) I will be super thrilled- they are a killer band and make the Idol Mickey Mouse band look like the amateurs they are.

20. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    that is one thing i noticed too, the band on the Voice is so much better than whatever they are doing on Idol.