The Vampire Diaries - "Homecoming" - OAD 11/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Nov 11, 2011.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Okay they totally lost me on this one. Such contrivance, I'm getting tired of defending the writing to my logical side.

So in the same episodes, only minutes apart, we see daddy Original tell Klaus his compulsion overrides the sire of the wolves THEN we find out Stefan betrayed them because Klaus sired his wolves to kill Damon if he died?? WTF! Ummm pretty sure between them all, especially daddy O, they could have either compelled the wolves or just ripped their hearts out, as Damon did to the door guard earlier. I'm starting to feel like either the writers are getting way sloppy or they just think we are stupid. :thumbsdown:

I'll post other thoughts later because that's all I can think of about the episode right now.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm still laughing at the idea of an original vampire whose lifelong dream is to go to a high school dance.

I hate everything about the original vampires plot this season. Everything. I'm going to stick with this show through the second half of the season but I'm not a happy camper.

God, I was hoping they kill off Klaus. Talk, talk, talk with that stupid accent. That's all he does. He's a poor excuse for a powerful vampire. I wish Blade would guest star for one episode and kill his silly ass.

Why didn't Klaus kill the crap out of Damon at the end? Damon tried to kill him.

3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I've been loving the originals this season. I hate Nick-Klaus, but pretty sure I'm supposed to hate him. I've even liked Stefan this season and I've always hated him. I'm sorry they killed off Michael so soon. He was scarey in the way Elijah was when he first showed up. Wonder if Stefan is going to bring Elijah back? Sure hope so!

Rebekah cracked me up wanting to go to the dance. I really felt sorry for her when Elena knifed her.:p

And I love when I'm fooled by Katherine being Elena and love it even more when Klaus is fooled.

Poor Tyler. Hopefully he and Caroline will work it out. I love those two together.

I can't believe this was it until January. I love this show!

4. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I'm embarrassed to not have seen the Katherine/Elena switch coming. I even noted she curled her hair, but then brushed it off. I thought Elena was wearing Alaric's ring.

5. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    And another thing I don't get. Why is Damon and Elena so sad at the end talking about "losing Stefan for good" when they heard (at least Damon did) Klaus say that Stefan has earned his freedom. So surely they realize Stefan is no longer under compulsion from Klaus. Isn't that ultimately all they really gave a crap about anyhow??

6. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    The ring doesn't work on the Dopplerganger. That was mentioned in an earlier episode.

7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    They think Stephan choose Klaus over them. I liked this episode, even though the 1000 year old vampire was so happy about going to a high school dance, up until they explained why Stephan saved Klaus.

I wish they had just left out the whole scene with Katherine and Stephan explaining why they saved Klaus. It would have made Stephan seem way more bad ass turning on Klaus so quickly after gaining his freedom back, and not be such a bore.

8. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    FYP

And yeah, I guess I can see that since he took off right after. Guess we'll find out in Jan. I hate these long breaks.

After re-watching, I didn't hate it as much as I did at first. I almost felt sorry for Klaus when daddy was berating him at the door. Truth hurts, doesn't it? He really doesn't have anyone. Even Rebekah was willing to turn on him once she found out the truth. Now if she would have actually done so....I guess we'll never know. Was she laying in the Salvatore basement at the end?

I do not like Tyler/Caroline angst. Can't we have one happy couple on this show? They were the only ones that weren't boring together. The relationship, IMO, was always the most believable and natural. If they put her back with Matt, I might have to stop watching.

I really wish they'd stop killing off great characters too. I know the way they went with the story it was bound to be either Michael or Klaus and since we know Morgan was promoted to a regular he wasn't going to go. I really could do without him. He's just not that scary to me. All he does is talk about how bad he is but what we actually have seen, has been quite tame. Kinda like big bad ripper Stefan!

I did like the Elena/Damon scene at the end now that I've considered the above. It didn't seem forced and I kinda like that they are finally getting to the point of enough is enough with the quest to save Stefan. Especially if they believe he doesn't choose them, even now. Damon's facial expressions just slay me sometimes. This scene was one of them. Ian is such a great actor when he's not overdoing it.

I too was fooled by the Elena/Katherine thing......right up to where Michael said he would kill her. Then I said it had to be Katherine. Whoever spotted the ring, kudos because I still didn't see it on second viewing.

Oh yeah, I'm really over the whole "Jeremy cheated on me" crap with Bonnie. Did she say he fell in love with his ghost ex-girlfriend???? Pretty sure he was already in love with her before she died so WTF. The entire thing just bugs. Bonnie as usual acts like she's above everyone else. Do no wrong, forgive none that do! Bah.

Oh and last but not least, UNDAGGER ELIJAH ALREADY! Stefan I will never speak ill of you again if you just get this done. We all know it's happening. I'm done with waiting. Get to it.

9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...

I know you have good intentions, but I just don't believe you.;) But yeah, please undagger Elijah.

Did we see Nick/Klaus kill Mom or do we just have Michael's word for it? If the actor is going to be around for a while I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's going to turn out that he didn't really kill Mom and maybe Michael did and blamed his sweet baby boy? After all they now seem to be trying to make Katherine miss "I loved you Stefan and I loved Damon, too" when it's always been that she just used them both. So maybe they are trying to change their spots?:confused: Gotta do something to keep them around the way all the other favorites get killed off so quick.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Why do the originals call their father by his first name? That's just weird.

Maybe it's me but the trend to make vampires super sexy, handsome and buff makes them less scary. They're like underwear models with fangs. Michael seemed like he could have been the first scary vampire on this show but like a lot of guest stars, he got whacked within a couple of episodes.

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    You're right. I'm sure they will all too soon have him back in the loving arms of Elena, back to being boring hypocrite of the year.

No we didn't but if the cave drawing (rolling my eyes as I type those words) mean what Alaric thinks they mean, then yes. There's no other way around that one.

As for Katherine, I always thought she loved Stefan but only mildly cared for Damon. The problem is, she could never love anyone a tenth of how much she loves herself.

Because they dislike him? I call my father by name as well. Although at one point, I think both Rebekah and Klaus called him to his face "father" in a nice scathing tone.

This is a trend other than on the CW where all people are beautiful in every show?? Twilight? Ummm no. Gross vamps. True Blood I don't watch but don't find any of the men hot on that one either. Even here, Klaus is not the least bit attractive to me nor is Matt. Stefan might be okay but his waist is probably smaller than mine (and I'm a small girl!). Damon is even on the thin side. I'd say of our cast the only ones I'd call buff are Elijah, Tyler and Jeremy. And Jeremy isn't a vamp. (yes I know where you were going with your comment, I just felt argumentative) :D

12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Oh yeah, the cave drawings. But what if Michael put that there? I know, I'm reaching, but just seems like TPTB are going to have to do something about Nick/Klaus to keep him around as a regular.

Right, this is the way Katherine has always been shown to us. But at the very end of this ep it was like they were trying to make her out as misunderstood with her helping Stefan to keep Damon safe. And putting herself in danger? That seemed totally out of character as we've seen her so far.

I look back now at what I thought was sexy when I was 18 and I shudder. Remember the anorexic 80's hair bands? Those guys wore more makeup than I did and had better hair, too. I was in total lust. Now, they look to me like Stefan and Stefan is not in the least bit sexy to me. But I'm sure back when I was 18 I would have thought differently. Damon, oh yeah, he's pure sex appeal, but even he is pretty puny and it's more his eyes and facial expressions than anything physically hunky to me. YMMV.:D

13. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    True but again, after Michael used her as a snack pack, we don't know what else transpired between them before they both showed up in MF. For all we know, she was well aware he wasn't trying to kill her, just Klaus. And if Klaus knows now that she helped keep him alive and kill daddy she might not have to run another 500 years from him. So why wouldn't she help out?

You are not kidding about the 80s! LOL
    And yes, Ian is on the skinny side but the pretty makes you forget all about anything else. I've always been a huge sucker for dark hair and blue eyes. Add to that what a great person he is in real life and he's at the top of my list.

14. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I've been watching s1 on Netflix and am struck by what a good actor he is. His character in the 1800s is so different from Damon Today!

15. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I finally got around to watching this episode!

I also totally forgot about the ring not working on Elena and thought it was her with the ring. I even noticed the curly hair and thought, "Oh look she curled her hair just like Katherine! How are we supposed to tell them apart now!"

Well, technically he's not really Klaus' dad. :) I did think it was a little weird that Rebekah called him that, though.

:eek::eek::eek:

Alexander Skarsgård and Joe Manganiello are smokin' hot and on my laminated list! ;) The other guys like Ryan Kwanten are pretty hot, too, IMO. :)

Another great part about True Blood is that all of the men are super buff and no one apparently owns any shirts in Bon Temps.

Ian is on my laminated list too ever since Lost! I am a sucker for the dark hair and pale skin and light blue eyes, too.

16. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    :p We'll have to agree to disagree on both of them then.

17. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    One thing I've been wondering is, why are there so many coffins? I think there were 3 with Stefan at the end? Ok, Elijah is in one of them. Rebekah looked like she was in Stefan and Damon's basement (boy that basement sure has come in handy over the seasons), Mommy wasn't a vampire, and Daddy was somewhere else and is now dead.

So who is in the other two coffins? Were there other family members in the flashback that I am just not remembering? I only remember Elijah, Rebekah, Nicklaus, and the little boy who was killed by the werewolves. Either there are some family members that we just haven't seen yet, or I am forgetting 2 people from the flashback?

Klaus is getting on my nerves. I liked him in the beginning, but now he is just kinda coming off as a big whiner and not a big bad. I'm a little sad that they daggered Rebekah... I liked her character. And yes, it is definitely past time that they un-daggered Elijah, so we can see more of him without his bad flashback hairpiece.

Speaking of Elijah and True Blood, it was fun to see him show up as a guest star in season 2 when we were watching it earlier this summer. :) I am one of those people that always says, "hey that's X from Y!" when I see new characters show up on shows. I like him better as Elijah, though, than the guest star character he was playing. He's super creepy as Elijah. :)