The Tunnel

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf

Advertisements

Has anyone been watching this show on PBS? It is a British/french version of The Bridge. I like is better than The Bridge.
    It followed probably the most intense episodes of Endeavour I've ever seen, I wish it wasn't the season finally. I really like Endeavour.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Me too. Dah Dah, Dah Dah Dah, Di Dah Dit, Dit Dit Dit, Dit. ;)

3. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I really wanted to watch it, and had set up a 1P for it, but my TiVo missed the first few episodes before I remembered that I had set up the 1P.

Seems the guide data was missing the "new" flag, presumably because it already aired in the UK, so my "new episodes only" 1P missed it.

I was going to chase down the missed episodes via alternative means, but then decided it was too much effort given that already have such a backlog of other unwatched stuff on the TiVo. Perhaps it will show up on netflix eventually.

4. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    The Bridge was better. Better actors, characters. Yet the PBS version is worth watching.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I kept meaning to start a thread about this..

Has it been aired here before or not? It has a 2013 copyright date, and IIRC the Tivo guide data says that too (which it should)..

I'm I think 2 episodes behind.

6. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    How did you see The Bridge? I can't find it anywhere and really want to see it.

7. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    We are just getting it a few years after than Europe.

8. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    It was on cable TV, FX I believe. A Mexican-American production. Well cast.

You may be thinking of the original, BRON, Danish TV which is supposed to be the best. Dunno how to get it.

9. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    This PBS version surprisingly continues to spiral downward with the clownish escape from a dozen heavily armed police by a guy on the run with a pistol taking 4 SWAT police out.
    Love the Chunnel premise of the re-do, but this implementation is grossly inferior to the US-Mexican The Bridge which featured a great supporting cast. Both shows suffered from TV's over used super powerful serial killer who confounds police while openly slaughtering his targets.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Demian Bichir (you may recognize him from Weeds) and Diane Kruger. Both were very good, she was phenomenal.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  11. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    Thanks! I've added The Bridge to my Hulu watch list...

12. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I caught a bit of this (after watching the first season of The Bridge I was mildly interested). Is that "Fleur" from the Harry Potter movies as one of the main leads? The other one is "Stannis" (and the real-life father of the junkie kid from Fear the Walking Dead). What a small world.

I remember The Bridge meandering something awful. The characters were interesting but the story (or multiple stories) were very difficult to follow. In the end, lost interest and never watched past the first episode of S2, even though I recorded most of it.

13. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm pretty sure the original Danish/Swedish/German version is available by magical means.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yep. Clémence Poésy.
    Just Danish-Swedish. No Germans. ;)

It's also available on DVD/Blu-ray from England, if your player can handle Region 2 (the blu-ray is region-free)...

15. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    According to IMDB the Germans were involved. Maybe they provided the craft (kraft?) service.

16. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Wanted to like this but they're making it difficult. Even more disjointed than US-Mexican, "The Bridge". Best part...the setting of The Tunnel. Otherwise...
    Keystone cops vs superman bad guy. But we know it won't end that way.
    Expected FAR more from PBS. But nobody's perfect.
    I'm in to the end out of habit. Wife dropped out early, she's smarter.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I assumed this was not a PBS production but something British they just picked up (and if this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread - sorry...)

I am watching it half heartedly - I don't like either of the lead characters...

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's a British-French co-production, based on an earlier Swedish-Danish co-production (Broen/The Bridge).

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    which from what I read was excellent, especially the female cop.