1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Tunnel" on amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoknucklehead, Jul 12, 2018.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    stumbled across this gem of a show. premise is a body is found in the France-England tunnel exactly on the border, sawed in half, thus making a French female and English male cop have to team up to solve the case. the killer is a genius, evil serial killer called "The Truth Terrorist". Season 1 improves with each episode and is excellent. Season 2 is also on Prime, and season 3 just started on PBS two weeks ago

SoBelle0 and Steveknj like this.
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the heads up. I've wanted to watch this but just never got around to it. Going give this a whirl on AP. How many episodes per season?

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    This is exactly the same premise used in the show "The Bridge" where a body was found stretched across the border between Mexico and the U.S. There was a female detective from the states and a male detective from Mexico handling the case jointly.

Tony_T likes this.
  4. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    season 1 is 10 (I have watched 9 so far)
    season 2 is 8
    season 3 is just underway

5. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I watched the Bridge but this plot is very different after episode 1. the main similarity is the male-female buddy cops that are very different from each other

6. weaver

weaver Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    And the first seasons of both are adaptations of Bron/Broen where the bridge is on the Danish/Swedish border.

tim1724 and kaszeta like this.
  7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I swear there was an earlier thread about this.. maybe even I started it.. or at least I mentioned it was on amazon on the previous thread...

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And the third season currently is being broadcast on PBS.

Just a plug: Season 3 of "The Tunnel" (Brit/French detective/thriller series) on PBS
    "The Bridge" was based on "The Bridge" Denmark/Sweden, which also spawned "The Tunnel."
    Perhaps 'bout 3? ;)

The Tunnel

Just a plug: Season 2 of "The Tunnel" (Brit/French detective/thriller series) on PBS

Just a plug: Season 3 of "The Tunnel" (Brit/French detective/thriller series) on PBS

mattack likes this.
  9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Added to my Amazon Prime Watch list. Of course, only season 1 and 2 are available on Prime. I think I am too late to setup a season pass for season 3 on PBS. But maybe they will re-air it. Or I just wait until Amazon makes it available on Prime

10. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I stumbled upon this as well, was actually looking for the original Denmark/Sweden version, but it didn't seem to be available for free streaming anywhere.
    It's a great show to watch when you're starting to get tired late at night.
    The fact that you need to read the subtitles for half of the show tends to keep one from nodding off.

I have found that the first season of The Bridge pretty much matches the first season of The Tunnel (as well as the original, or so I've heard) as far as plots and main characters go, but still different enough to make it interesting.

And The Bridge was long enough ago that I forgot "who dunnit".

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Do you only have one PBS station? Even if you do, I suspect the same station will reair things, sometimes in the middle of the night.. so just create a OP for all channels, including reruns.. and you'll probably get it..

I still OP it as a 'backup' but actually watch it (err, plan to continue watching it) on Amazon..

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I do have jsut the one. But I haven't even watch any episodes. So. I am a long way away from needing the third season. Will worry about then when (or if) the time comes

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I binged this over the last three days. I just started season 2. I'll spoilerize my thoughts about season 1.
    The acting and actors were great. Five stars for that. But... The story suffered from the three "omnis". The bad guy was omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. I guess he had to be to make the story interesting over ten episodes. But the last three episodes or so were basically straight out of a Lifetime Channel movie. It's like there were two different thought processes. One was very thought provoking about why the truth terrorist was doing what he was doing and then there was the repetitive Lifetime Movie Channel plot of "You banged my wife and my kid died so I must kill your entire family." the last three episodes were extremely predictable. I knew who the Truth Terrorist was as soons as he started dealing with Karl's wife. Apart from all the red herrings, it was so obvious because there was no reason whatsoever for introducing that character into the story.
    And I'll watch season 2 over the next week.

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I still have 3 episodes left in season 1, but wondered right away,
    why introduce a character played by a known actor this far into the season
    ?

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm three episodes in on S1 and enjoying it. I do wonder how much of what they've said and shown were shown on PBS (there is some nudity, sex scenes and language). I plan on at least getting through the first season in the next few days while baseball is in the All Star Break (will watch the game on Tuesday though).

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    In the third series being broadcast right now, every now and again, a swear term is blanked out. I assume it was the same way with the earlier 2 series, but I don't recall it getting in the way at all (likewise as to any nudity/sex scenes).

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    So might pay to wait for S3 on AP and see it in all it's glory :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    So.. I am trying to get into this show.. and it's just not working for me so far. Maybe because I have to pay too close attention to the subtitles.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Just wait until Series 3--it's seeming to me to be the most convoluted of all the series. :)

20. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

I LOVED the last 3 episodes of season one.