The Tivoserver Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by rpdre1, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1 of 786
    rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Click here for the latest build of tivoserver with wmv3 support. (cygwin1.dll included for new users)

Thanks to THardie for updating tivoserver with a newer ffmpeg that supports wmv3, SteveT for compiling a cygwin binary for Windows users, thanks to BTUx9 for fixing too many things to list :), and wsewell for creating such a great project.

Instructions for first-timers:

1) Run tivoserver.exe (first time you run tivoserver, it will open and then quickly close... keep reading)

2) The first time you run tivoserver, it creates this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your_Username_Here\Application Data\.tivoserver\
    (shortcut to that: %APPDATA%\.tivoserver )

3) Get a UNIX-friendly text editor, I recommend Notepad++

4) Open settings.cfg (NOT settings.cfg.new, if it exists) in a Notepad++

5) Inside settings.cfg there's a section that says:

Code:
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # VIDEO_DIR
    #
    # Specifies the directory where video files exist for tivoserver to serve.
    # Add _one_ directory per line (ie per VIDEO_DIR tag), but you may add several
    # directories using several VIDEO_DIR lines
    # Possible values: Any valid directory name
    VIDEO_DIR=C:\Documents and Settings\Dre\Application Data/video/

(Don't worry about the \ & / in the path... It'll still work.)

Tivoserver closed on you the first time you ran it was because it looked for that folder to load videos from and it didn't exist. Tivoserver didn't have anything to load and it closed by itself.

Make a folder called video in Application Data and put your videos in there. (You don't have to edit settings.cfg if you do this.)

Or you can replace the line with whatever folder(s) you want.

A regular Windows path will work.

Just make sure you're saving the file in UNIX format. DON'T USE REGULAR NOTEPAD TO EDIT SETTINGS.CFG

Code:
    VIDEO_DIR=C:\Movies\
    VIDEO_DIR=D:\New TV Shows\
    VIDEO_DIR=D:\Clasic TV Shows\1970\

6) Put your XviD/DivX .avi, .mpg, .ty, .vob, and even .wmv (latest version supports wmv3!) in the folders you set in settings.cfg. Some files might not work, live with it. Run tivoserver and it should show up as a TiVo in the bottom of your Now Playing List. Screenshots here: http://tivoserver.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

UPDATE: In early versions of tivoserver, a temp folder was needed. This is no longer necessary.

Since the last time I updated this post (January), Tivoserver has greatly improved. Tivoserver can now copy AC3 audio streams inside video files, instead of transcoding the audio (so there's no quality loss.) VOBs work (you still have to rip the movie into one big .vob though.) Tivoserver can also copy MPEG-2 video streams from inside .vobs or .mpgs without transcoding.

OLD POST:

For those who don't know what TivoServer is:
    TivoServer (http://tivoserver.sourceforge.net/) is a program that runs as a virtual tivo on your PC. TivoServer allows you to transfer shows from your PC onto your tivo the same way you transfer shows between real tivos with MRV. TivoServer shows up as a regular tivo on your Now Playing List.

TivoServer will serve videos of various formats (mpg, m2v, xvid, divx, wmv, etc) without requiring you to convert them first. TivoServer will convert them on-the-fly during transfer.

Personally, I prefer playing my videos on my TiVo instead of burning them to play on a DVD player because my DVD player has slow ff/rw, no playbar, no instant replay, no 30 second skip, etc and I'm sure yours doesn't either.

Your tivo needs to of been hacked with superpatch, The Zipper will do this. Standalones need to have been superpatched as well. Not all videos will work.

2. Jan 20, 2006 #2 of 786
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    is it normal behavior for tivoserver to quit after it transfers a show to your tivo?
    I am running the mac binary.

3. Jan 20, 2006 #3 of 786
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Cool beans, I've been looking at this for a bit. I'll install it this weekend. Thanks!

4. Jan 20, 2006 #4 of 786
    rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Thats not normal gunny, does the show transfer completely to your tivo? Is it with one specific file?

5. Jan 20, 2006 #5 of 786
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    it was an episode of lost that I edited the commercials out of. The file was in mp4 format as I have yet to find a tyeditor for the mac that actually works.

6. Jan 20, 2006 #6 of 786
    rpdre1

rpdre1 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Did you catch any error messages in tivoserver?

7. Jan 20, 2006 #7 of 786
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    nope I don't think so, but I'll pay closer attention to things next time I try to use it.

8. Jan 20, 2006 #8 of 786
    Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Sorry, that may just be a support question. ;)

Seriously, other than the watching video off your computer, are there any other uses for Tivo Server?

9. Jan 20, 2006 #9 of 786
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    editing commercials out of shows for commercial free mrv :p

10. Jan 20, 2006 #10 of 786
    n4zmz

n4zmz TiVoholic

Mar 28, 2002
    Crashing after a transfer is not normal. Tivoserver should not stop for any reason, other than interrupting/killing the process.

As for other uses for tivoserver, the biggest one is that it will transcode to match the tivo format. It will (future stuff) allow you to supply more information about a video.

11. Jan 20, 2006 #11 of 786
    Greencat

Greencat New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have not used it yet but plan on. I would guess that you would use it to show home movies and I would guess that you could transfer DVDs to the PC to show on the TV.

I know you could do the above other ways but this would be on demand.

12. Jan 20, 2006 #12 of 786
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    There ARE some things that will cause tivoserver to crash, that really shouldn't be fatal, but the codes for tymplex and ffmpeg are designed to abort on errors, because they are standalone.

re: DVD support (VOB format), not yet, but definitely on the list.

13. Jan 20, 2006 #13 of 786
    AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    Has anyone had any sucess yet MRVing a divx .avi file to their TiVo (and playing it back) via tivoserver? (Not looking for support here - just hoping to hear a success story).

14. Jan 20, 2006 #14 of 786
    lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    Yes .avi does work with tivoserver

15. Jan 20, 2006 #15 of 786
    Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    I can easily watch xvid, however it does look a bit choppy at times... probably a result of re-encoding on the fly... however you *really* have to be looking for it in a scene with a lot of movement, etc.

16. Jan 20, 2006 #16 of 786
    starbiker99

starbiker99 1 Tivo 2 Tivo 3 Tivo

Feb 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    rpdre1
    Thanks that was a nice right up. Takes all of 10 mns and I am watching videos form my PC on my Tivo. COOL!

Edit! Now everytime I click on watch on this tv my tivoserver crashes and my tivo says the server is unavailable. hmmmm

17. Jan 20, 2006 #17 of 786
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I've been reading about this one for a while. This is what could push me over the edge to go S2.

18. Jan 20, 2006 #18 of 786
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Not to be a smartass... (hows that for an opener)

Thanks to another thread, I was able to d/l 2 TV shows from the net, convert them to a format that TiVo will recognize with a free converter and then transfer them to my TiVo via Desktop 2.2

Except for the downloading part... how is TiVoserver any different?

Jeff

19. Jan 20, 2006 #19 of 786
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    it works on ANY tivo capable of HMO (since directivos have no TTG)

20. Jan 20, 2006 #20 of 786
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    And it transcodes on the fly. Not as much "prep time" needed to simply kick back and watch something!