the TIVO product

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by throbert, May 28, 2020.

1. throbert

throbert New Member

Mar 16, 2020
    So I've been poking around here for a couple of weeks and I'm reading about all the problems with these units. Drives going bad, over heating issues and bad OTA receivers from Premier to Bolt seem to be the main complaints. Seems you have to have a certain HDD to avoid early failure and why most think an HDD is better than an SSD is beyond me, SSDs have way better MTBF than mechanicals never mind weather you can get one to work on these units or not. Then there's the pull all the covers off and add fans here and there, might as well get a freezer and toss it in there with an IR extender, or maybe the remote is non IR. Oh, and then there's the 20 miles from the trans mission towers with a 60 mile reception antenna and still can't get decent signal even with an amp. So I'm not so sure weather cutting the cord is going to be all that easy. Yea, I understand people come to these types of forums to air out their problems and so they far out weigh the praises but I seem to be reading/hearing a unison of issues here and so I'm very hesitant to move forward and pull the trigger on this.
    responses are most welcome no matter how critical guys,
    Thanks. RT

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Heat is not an issue in Roamios, and SSDs don't do anything except cost you more money.

3. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Here's another vote for Roamios and a normal spinning HDD. And, for a good TiVo alternative, Channels DVR with an HD HomeRun Quatro. I'm currently running both in parallel.

Noelmel likes this.
  4. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    RT,
    I have been all in on the Tivo ecosystem for about 5 or 6 years now. I am on xfinity with cablecards, and I don’t use OTA. I have several Roamio DVRs and a mixture of old and current Tivo Minis that are all hardwired together over ethernet. They are all on Tivo Experience 3 operating system which is the older of the two available operating systems. This setup allows me to have a Tivo for all of my TVs.

The Cable Tv experience is really outstanding with live and recorded shows. The trick play features of pause, FF etc are the best that I have used, and there are computer programs like Tivo desktop and pyTiVo that allow you to download recorded shows that are not copy protected for archiving and editing(I use Videoredo). I consider these features as “can’t do without” for my own personal use.

I have had ongoing reliability issues with the older Tivo Minis, but the new ones are quite reliable in my experience. A lightning strike permanently damaged one of my Tivo Roamios, but the others have been solid, reliable performers although their UI is not nearly as “snappy” as the newest Tivo Minis.

The app and streaming services portion of Tivo are quite dated and limited. There is no Disney+ or Apple apps for Tivo DVRs and Minis.

TiVo’s newest consumer product is a fairly inexpensiveAndroidTv streamer that does have access to the Google Play store and therefore it does have newer apps like Disney+ etc. Currently (possibly permanently) these new devices cannot be connected to Tivo DVRs or Minis for watching live or recorded TV.

At each of my TVs, I need to use apps from Tivo, an AndroidTV device and from the Samsung Smart TVs themselves to get to all of the apps that my family uses regularly.

I hope that this post will help you make a decision.
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MScottC and MacBrian like this.
  5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    A grain of salt should be understood when looking through forums. Some folks love Apple, but it is easy to find owners with millions of problems with them.

These units are not blowing up, melting down, going bad but for a vast minority of cases.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Get a Roamio, they're the Chevy smallblock of the Tivo line.
    All Tivos are mediocre streamers and 4K broadcasts are far and few between.

7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    An apt descriptor - I've previously compared the Roamio Plus/Pro to the Mercedes 240D - older, a bit dated looking but they'll run forever.

Noelmel likes this.
  8. Noelmel

Noelmel Active Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    I got my Roamio Pro 6 years ago and never had a problem!

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What kind of reliability issues? I know I should ask this in the mini forum, but do the 'old' minis let you do quick mode and skip mode?

I know I've been saying this for years, but some eon I will get a big TV for my living room.. and despite having two Tivos in use, the usability between the Premiere & Roamio is enough that I could see getting a Tivo Mini so I could still use quickmode on both TVs..

10. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Mattack,
    All four of our older Minis have experienced a lot “freeze ups” while streaming from certain apps most notably youtube and amazon prime. Two of these units have experienced the “boot loop of death” and even though i have seen some posts on a method to recover them, I have not taken the time to try and fix them. We use three of the newest TiVo mini vox models, and by far, they give us the best experience. Skip mode does work. You just push the green “D” button for recorded programs that have skip enabled.

11. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I have three 93000 Minis on TE3. They are great for watching DVR content, and they do quick and skip just fine, but they're pitiful for streaming of course. Two of them have been running reliably for about five years. I zapped the third with some rough handling, but TiVo replaced it for $39 and that one has been running fine for over a year and a half.

12. throbert

throbert New Member

Mar 16, 2020
    I don't have 4K at the moment but probably not avoidable for the next one or what ever the tech will be. I don't or have not used apple products. I have built some PCs for music to record and/or host VIs (virtual instruments). I was thinking a Bolt OTA would suit my needs but maybe a Roamio OTA. So what models/sub models should I consider? Hulu is looking good to me for streaming and record to cloud options, it has a lot of my local channels but would still need the OTA option for the few channels I watch that aren't covered. I haven't used streaming services before so I'm a little concerned about response time since I can be a bit heavy on surfing at times. Amazon has refurbished Roamios but don't know if I would be getting into trouble going that route or not. SSDs generate little to no heat compared to HDDs, if nothing else I would think that should be a consideration.

13. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I’ve had TiVo’s for 20 years. Probably half a dozen units. NONE have died.

My current is a Roamio which is around 6 years old, used daily, and no problems. And a mini.

I know of two Bolts in use, one around 2 years and one closer to 4, no issues.

I also know someone still using a Premiere.

If you want a TiVo, get one. It’s not going to explode on you.

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ok.. I now see that the TCDA92000 and 93000 look the same. Does anybody know offhand what the differences are? I obviously could afford a new one, but esp since this is "unnecessary" as I already have multiple Tivos, might as well recycle an old used one someone else doesn't want, if it provides the functionality I want.

last question.. So you can change quick play speed too via the backdoor, right? (select play select 7 SPEEDNUM select)? When 'driving' another Tivo via a mini..

15. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    The Mini 92000 supports only IR remotes, while the 93000 supports and comes with an IR + RF remote.

That QuickMode remote shortcut works on my Mini in TE3, and I presume in TE4 too.

mattack likes this.
  16. throbert

throbert New Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Not exploding more like, will it do the job, reliability and deacent TBF.

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Heh, the very first Tivo I bought, which admittedly was from an online store, died within 2 weeks IIRC.. it was new, but I had to get one of the TiVo guys _here_ involved since Tivo said something like they didn't support online sales at the time. (It wasn't amazon, it was one of those sites that finds a bunch of stuff and sells it.)

and I had a S3 die and take out the whole thing, so I lost a whole bunch of shows. Even bought another S3 at the time hoping I could get someone to move the encryption chip to the other motherboard to hopefully revive the drive.. (I know at least one show I had basically a season of, hadn't been released.)

But mostly, Tivos have been more reliable hardware wise than other things.. (the software has gotten worse over time overall, but has more features and still overall blows away the other ways to consume content overall...)

18. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    SSDs are not designed to written to, 24 - 7. They do have a limited amount of read/write cycles and can fail without warning towards the end of their lifetimes, HDDs will act funky when they start to die giving you warning to back up and replace them. SSDs are not recommend for any use that has constant recording, dvr buffers, security cameras. This may change in a few years. SSDs have been sold as the no moving parts hard drive, they still wear out. Be aware.

19. throbert

throbert New Member

Mar 16, 2020
    The Pro audio industry use SSDs exclusively and spinners usually only for back up a lot of them are doing video work as well the latest CPUs mobos RAM and so on. heavy track counts demanding low latency, heavy video rendering etc...

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, it's not an issue for consideration.