The "Tivo is coming to Charter Cable" Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jayboy3, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 #1 of 35
    Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010

Advertisements

I searched, and didn't see a thread on this. Tivo inked a deal with Charter Cable over a week ago. The Tivo Premiere (customized for CHarter Cable) will become the set top box for Charter Cable.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376194,00.asp

Post your thoughts, hopes, dreams, and news about the Charter box here!

I've been using a Tivo HD with CableCard on Charter for a couple of years to great success, but I'm glad to see it become the "official" DVR. I'll wait and upgrade to a Premier then, and presumably there will customized menus for on-demand and pay-per-view, things like that.

I'm excited. I can't get HD DirecTV, so this is my chance to remain a Tivo customer.

2. Feb 7, 2011 #2 of 35
    NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    One thing not mentioned here is whether you will still need tuning adapters, or if Tivo will implement some sort of IP control of SDV, like they have for some other MSO's.

3. Feb 7, 2011 #3 of 35
    klrobinson999

klrobinson999 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Hopefully all of the other cable companies will follow suit! Are you listening Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner?????

4. Feb 7, 2011 #4 of 35
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, Cox has already signed an agreement of some sort to at least offer PPV and Ondemand plus more "officially" support the TiVo. I doubt it will include SDV without a TA :( But there is still no news as to where they stand with it.

I know Cox will probably never replace their own DVR's with TiVo boxes; it just goes against the way they like to operate.

5. Claire199

Claire199 New Member

Dec 3, 2010

Advertisements

I was renting three Moxis from Charter and was real happy with them except for the lack of storage, 12 hrs. HD. It was fine except in our family room, and especially during football season. We requested a dvr with more storage and Charter delivered a Motorola (40 hrs. HD). It was unacceptable in so many ways, so I returned it. They are phasing out Moxi so a Moxi w/more space was out of the question. We bought a Premiere for the family room and I've been real unhappy w/it, although I've been trying to be patient for the fixes. Because of the lag, we use the SD interface which is a huge step backward. Once Tivo has fixed their issues, the interface will be exactly what we want and got used to w/Moxi.

I don't know which Charter dvrs you have had, but the Moxi has a great interface and is very similar to Tivo's. I have seen complaints about Moxi on the web, but during the years we rented them, improvements/updates continued the entire time, and we loved them. In fact, they won two Emmy's for their interface. It was a huge step backward to go from the Moxi HD interface to the Tivo SD interface. Of course, the storage space situation was untenable.

Before I bought my Tivo, I complained to Charter that their premium service was not premium with the dvrs they had. Before Moxi, we had Tivo 1s and 2s. We switched to a Charter package/bundle when we went HD. So...when I saw the news article (just yesterday), I called Charter to be sure it was true and find out when the Tivos would be available. They said that it would be in 2011, but no date. I thought to myself that many people on this forum discourage complaining, but enough squeaky wheels end up w/the oil.

Now to your question, I am extremely excited about this development! Can't wait!!! I miss the on-demand. We joined Netflix, but the streaming on the Premiere has not worked. Still, I really like Netflix (thru the mail), but of course, they don't have a lot of the on-demand like the primetime shows and free movies, etc. I like that one can grade the movies and that they offer "Movies You'll Love". It works well. In a perfect world, I would have it all, like some kind of partnership w/Netflix and Charter/Tivo. It sounds like, from the article, that they are headed in the right direction. Regarding the other internet stuff, I would love it. In my current situation w/the Premiere, I've not been able to check it out, much less use it, but looks like it'd be cool. 45 hours HD, for us, in one room, w/on-demand is fine.

Also, have you noticed how Charter has improved their customer service over the past couple of years? It is amazing. They are really really responsive. About three years ago, I had an all-day-wait appointment that they did not show up for. They rescheduled and didn't show up the second time. They offered $20 for my trouble and I told them $20 was insulting. Now, they actually give a time w/a give or take an hour - and call. I used to despise them, and was looking for a way to jump ship, but now I really really like them a lot. They do what they say they will, on time, and are very nice on the phone. Their tech service is very good, in my experience. (Years ago, we had satellite, but the weather-related loss of signal drove me to cable. At one point, I did research to find whether that problem had been solved, and never found anything that said it had, so Charter was the only game in town for us.) Now, they will have Tivo dvrs. Yay!!

Well, I have high hopes for our t.v. future! Can't wait!!!

6. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    One downside I see is not being able to upgrade the hard drive since the box will be owned by Charter and I've never liked the idea of adding external storage. I gave up on Charter last year and it's doubtful I'll ever return.

7. Claire199

Claire199 New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    OOps Jayboy3, I was so excited that I forgot that you presently own a tivo rather than renting charter dvrs. Anyway, here is another article posted on the tivo web site in case you didn't see it, "TiVo and Charter Announce Next Generation TV Strategy": http://blog.tivo.com/2011/01/tivo-and-charter-announce-next-generation-tv-strategy/

brettatk, if you don't mind sharing, why did you give up on charter last year?

8. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Just a FWIW. But I get the impression from several threads about the Tivo on Charter that people assume Charter will be giving out Premiere boxes. Everything I am hearing is that they'll be launching with the Motorola DCX3400 with Tivo software loaded on it. Not that it makes a lot of difference, but just wanted to be sure everyone was clear.

9. Claire199

Claire199 New Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Drewdog, where did you hear or read that?

I hope not. Motorola makes me think of that clunky dvr I returned to Charter. Plus, the remote was awful too, very poorly laid out w/keys that I had to push rather than touch. I hate the dvr. I hate the remote. When we had satellite, over ten years ago, it was much smoother and had a much nicer remote than the clunky Motorola we had for a few weeks last year. I'd want to see one before I rented one.

10. D'oh

D'oh New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I would think they would release a box without the need for one of the headache inducing tuning adapters... At least I would hope so, as it took them two days, 3 techs and 3 tuning adapters to get mine running properly. It seems these tuning adapters aren't all that reliable, are they?

But I am SOOOOO much happier with TiVo compared to the Sci Atlanta box I had previously. It would just forget shows, and had, well, the bare bones features. It recorded shows, but that was it.

Either way, I'm glad to have a regular TiVo (A Premiere). So much better.... Soooooo much better!! :)

11. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Comcast has had the Tivo UI on some of their boxes for a while now and to the best of my knowledge they've always just flashed a moto 3416 or 3425x. They have a special Tivo branded remote with extras like "on demand" etc.

If you read the link from the Tivo blog, it never says anything about hardware, only mentions Charter using the Premiere UI.

I could be wrong, I have no facts stating that this is true or not, but everything I can find points to a Tivo flashed Moto box.

You can get some info about the comcast box in the comcast forums on this site

12. selder

selder New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    What I wish would be addressed here is what will happen to those that already have Charter and are using a Tivo Premiere on it? Will we be given access to the on-demand library? Will we be left out altogether? Charter will no doubt scrub Amazon, Blockbuster, Hulu Plus (when it arrives) and Netflix off of the box, but I'd love the opportunity to have all that PLUS their on-demand library.

13. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    No changes will be made to the existing Tivo boxes.

14. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    From the link in your post above:
    Yup, it is the Premiere hardware with the HD UI. The upcoming multi-room and non_DVR platforms could be standard cable boxes that can receiver a stream, or might be something else. I don't think the mentioned Motorola DVR has the horsepower to support that functionality though.

15. D'oh

D'oh New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I don't think we'll get access to On Demand and such, as that is two way communication not provided by our cable cards. Cable companies want everyone to be able to use On Demand, so that's something we'd already have.

In any case, I'm happier with a real TiVo instead of something provided by Charter. :)

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Tivo Premiere branded boxes for cable companies will most likely have VOD. TiVo is most definitely working with the cable cos to provide solutions for them. Cable companies would not agree to this deal if it didn't allow VOD as they make a lot of money from this service.

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No cable card provides two-way communication, that is simply done over the network. Cable cards are just a decryption devices. If a cable company wants TiVo to provide On Demand support, it can be done through the existing hardware in the Premiere. But it would require software changes.

Such changes are supposedly going to be made for Cox, so there is no reason to believe it wouldn't be done for Charter, too.... if they come to an agreement.

18. D'oh

D'oh New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Ah yes ... It does make sense that Charter would get functionality into their own boxes, but I don't believe that current Premiere owners will get VOD.

As for two way, yes, the TiVo itself has two way via its network connection, but for VOD, it needs to be able to talk back and forth without an Internet connection for the customers that don't have Internet. I know that's few and far, but it's not possible for a current TiVo to do this on it's own. "True Two Way" cable cards, as far as I know, don't work in our TiVos, so our cable cards can't talk back to the cable company like their own DVRs and cable boxes can.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, that is the plan with Cox, because Cox won't be supplying boxes. With retail boxes, logistically, it won't make sense that TiVo has different images for every cable company, so it is likely that the code will go to everyone. What happens with Charter- who knows.... they might want it customized enough (logos, etc) that there is another image.

TiVo *requires* that you have an internet connection. In theory, it shouldn't matter who your provider is, because it could still connect back to your cable provider. But there is nothing to prevent Charter from saying "if you want to use this DVR, you must have Charter Internet also."

There is no such thing as a two-way-cable-card and never was. It is software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru2way

20. D'oh

D'oh New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Yes, TiVo requires an Internet connection, but you can do it via the phone lines if you really wanted to. So those who only update via phone would be without two way communications. Yeah, a very small number for sure, but there has to be a few people. Of course, those people can't get all those video podcasts and such that are filling up so much space on my TiVo. :)

I never really knew the status of the True 2 Way cards. I know that they've been talked about, but without your link (thanks, I didn't think to check wiki), I didn't think they ever really made it out into the world.

So that means that the only way to do two way communications to get VOD is through broadband. Most people have it, but some don't. I'd also venture a guess that a Charter (or other cable company) branded unit would be able to talk to the cable co like the cable box would. Another image for it.... Well, I can't say for sure, but I think it would make sense, to at least get the branding, and I think Charter would find it worthwhile to get VOD working. They find it so important that they must make good money from it.