The TiVo Box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by abovethesink, Nov 14, 2014.

1. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013

Advertisements

I have what I can only describe as a green screen of death on my basic. It says and I quote:

The TiVo Box has detected a serious problem and is now attemting to fix it.

This will take about three hours.

PLEASE DO NOT UNPLUG OR RESTART THE TIVO BOX

If you have a plasma TV or are concerned about burn in, you should turn off your TV for the next three hours.

If, after three hours, the TiVo Box does not restart, please call customer support.

Anyone ever see this before? Obviously I am going to leave it alone, but it fails at self repair what will, if anything, TiVo do? I have had it for maybe 13 or so months and I lifetimed it two months ago. What crap luck.

Could it just be the harddrive maybe?

And if it comes back, would anyone expect reliability problems going forward?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This just happened to me less than two weeks ago, on a Premiere Elite. It did not repair itself, in fact it just kept rebooting in an endless cycle.

I replaced the hard drive, and presto, back to normal.

My thread, where a number of options for hard drives were discussed...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=522652

3. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013
  4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That is the screen you get when it is fsck-ing the drive, AFAIK.

Look at the latest in the hard drive upgrade thread... but AFAIK, in a Roamio, basically anything 3TB or under will "just work" (and automagically reformat it).. Obviously you lose your recordings on your previous drive (there is no known 'upgrade existing drive' for the Roamio, AFAIK)

5. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013

Advertisements

Thanks guys. If the HD doesn't do the trick by some off chance (though I am confident it will), will TiVo do anything for me? Would they let me transfer my lifetime service that I got less than two months from if I were to buy a new box for example? Pretty sure the HD swap will do the trick, but I am curious.

6. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Doesn't the unit have a warranty? Is it only 90 days? Or did you only add Lifetime to an older unit?

7. Jul 4, 2020 #7 of 19
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    This is happening to me now... But it is my TiVo Mini (which doesn't have a hard drive to replace)...

[​IMG]

The main box that it connects to is working fine...

Any ideas?

8. Jul 4, 2020 #8 of 19
    lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Let it scan for the recommended three hours - it's got the OS on a small internal flash-card, so I'd imagine it won't take that long. If it keeps up, call TiVo support and see what they can do for replacement.

9. Jul 6, 2020 #9 of 19
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Kept rebooting over and over again...with absolutely zero stability...

Ended up calling TiVo customer support and went through the pre-requisite troubleshooting steps, and after they had the confidence that it was, in fact, dead-dead-dead...they offered to replace it...

At first, I thought they might replace it at no cost (which would have surprised me since my box was activated in 2015). But they basically told me that they were going to send me a new TiVo Mini Vox, and that the replacement cost was $79.99, but that "because I have been such a loyal customer" that they would send it to me at the discounted price of $39.99.

Always a great strategy to tell you that the normal price is 2x the price that they are actually ready to offer you... :)

Anyway, I have a spare TiVo mini and was going to decline the replacement if it was too high a price, but at $39.99 for the new Mini Vox, I decided to take the plunge...

I am on TE3...and he said that the Mini Vox would detect my TE3 Roamio and downgrade itself (I hope that is true)...

Anything I can look forward to with the new box? Will I notice anything difference between my legacy TiVo Mini and the new TiVo Mini Vox experience?

10. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    -The Vox is 4K capable, as well as 1080p full (not just passthrough) mode
    -The Vox will auto-downgrade to TE3 just fine
    -You can't pair an old RF (Roamio/Bolt non-Vox) remote in RF mode, or a BT remote (Vox) in BT mode while running TE3, IR only.
    -It's faster, even in the TE3 UI for paging and moving around. Snappier-feeling experience, overall.
    -Smaller, different shape, and a different power supply (1.5a vs old 1a)

11. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I got the same offer for an failed Mini V1, but I had to ask for a better price.

12. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I've also seen reports that if you hem and haw, you can sometimes get them down to 29.99

13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Interesting... So sounds like the strategy is to offer it at $79.99 and see if the customer "bites"... And if not, they have the flexibility to go down by half the price... And for some reason, I got an agent that was willing to go down to that pricing immediately... Cool...

How are you enjoying your new Mini Vox?

14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Shoot! Are you telling me that I left $$$ on the table? ;)

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It collects fingerprints. It's water resistant. :)

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Did they also eliminate the headphone jack and offer it in a limited edition PRODUCT(Red) color? ;)

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Not true, a non-Vox RF remote will pair with it in TE3 mode, you just need to do a global reset on the remote to get it to do it.
    I know because I have to do the dance every few months where I swap the mini to a TE3 or TE4 host.

18. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Really? Maybe I've just got a bum one, because I couldn't get it to pair for love or money.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    lyee likes this.